Holley wiring harness connector crimping

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm acquiring all of the various components to perform the carb to Holley EFI conversion on my car now. The two choices I found for the main wiring harness are their #558-104 Universal MPFI Main Harness and #558-105 Un-terminated Universal Main Harness. Clearly the universal MPFI harness would be the easiest, but I know that several of the connectors would not be needed, some of them would probably be too short like the O2 sensor, and some too long. This is, of course, less than ideal. Both harnesses are priced the same (way too much IMHO).
I'm leaning towards the un-terminated harness so I can eliminate unnecessary wires & connectors and optimize the lengths, but the price of their crimp tool 567-100 is steep. These connectors appear similar to Weatherpack and I have a crimper for these, but I don't know if this will work on these Holley pins. I also have an Amphenol crimp tool which crimps pretty small pins like these but I can't be sure if either of these will work with these Holley pins. If anyone has extra pins I could experiment with I would gladly buy some from you. If someone has a Holley crimp tool they no longer need I would be interested in that for sure.
I'm hoping someone here has been through this and can add their insight based on what worked for them. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks, CobraRGuy

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea they are pretty proud of those harnesses huh? I got the unterminated and then got the ends for the senders/sensors and soldered them on as they all came with wire on them. I didn't crimp a single holley pin although I did move some and that is easy to do. The box I had came with a bunch of extra wires with the holley pins already on one end so they could be added to the harness and then put where you want it IIRC

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Great information thanks. I was able to find a YT video about crimping these Holley pins where the tool used was purchased on Amazon (iWiss iCrimp) for less than $20. I think I'll go this route if the crimpers I have don't work. Thanks again...

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think I have 4 different types of crimpers. 2 with replaceable jaws to swap around and yea it is fun trying to figure out which one is fer what.....

weendoggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm acquiring all of the various components to perform the carb to Holley EFI conversion on my car now. The two choices I found for the main wiring harness are their #558-104 Universal MPFI Main Harness and #558-105 Un-terminated Universal Main Harness. Clearly the universal MPFI harness would be the easiest, but I know that several of the connectors would not be needed, some of them would probably be too short like the O2 sensor, and some too long. This is, of course, less than ideal. Both harnesses are priced the same (way too much IMHO).
I'm leaning towards the un-terminated harness so I can eliminate unnecessary wires & connectors and optimize the lengths, but the price of their crimp tool 567-100 is steep. These connectors appear similar to Weatherpack and I have a crimper for these, but I don't know if this will work on these Holley pins. I also have an Amphenol crimp tool which crimps pretty small pins like these but I can't be sure if either of these will work with these Holley pins. If anyone has extra pins I could experiment with I would gladly buy some from you. If someone has a Holley crimp tool they no longer need I would be interested in that for sure.
I'm hoping someone here has been through this and can add their insight based on what worked for them. Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks, CobraRGuy
Your not that far from me, if you're in Fremont, and can give you advice or help if needed. I've done several Holley HP's and Sniper setups along with my Terminator in my Cobra (F5). I used un-terminated harnesses for the exact reason you mention. Going the universal one, you'd cut that one anyway. As mentioned from white95, those are all you need. I too crimped and soldered my connections. If you need connectors, I have some as well as the .035 spade tool (https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Termin...ix=065+electric+terminal+tool,aps,171&sr=8-38) you should invest in.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Your not that far from me, if you're in Fremont, and can give you advice or help if needed. I've done several Holley HP's and Sniper setups along with my Terminator in my Cobra (F5). I used un-terminated harnesses for the exact reason you mention. Going the universal one, you'd cut that one anyway. As mentioned from white95, those are all you need. I too crimped and soldered my connections. If you need connectors, I have some as well as the .035 spade tool (https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Terminal-Extractor-Pick-Blade/dp/B00475Z23E/ref=sr_1_38?crid=1BZ0V6CRBEJ8A&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.xWKwZmh-r4zyPENfylLy35GX6PpOdtz528149ljxzZnL9NXT10meWmGU-TVOZjhOt9312zELjMjjLNbHYrzGkUU52rP3rhCSPee9A4lSgncAC3Bw3KfeKAipvfIl7xjHnx2Q46L5DNEQIkvsRUt01O0c7UiaScqDJeYCvYUNYYHGAq_t5Oz5WWG8U17eamxqB-OMts59mPOOX5Kt_CMcJsASaYkJ01eOnIEni6qIqJNjy1GvHWrIth4z27UWXDymnfJXE9VYjy7WyeY5fQYNbKZsfLn2j6nPRaFuBaotWvk.7ON7q-poA9Ms8idDUcFug-ePz6QoDU-tgh92WE6f9YM&dib_tag=se&keywords=.065+electric+terminal+tool&qid=1711923798&sprefix=065+electric+terminal+tool,aps,171&sr=8-38) you should invest in.
Thanks, I may just take you up on your offer. It'll be a while before I start the conversion since the carb works and I don't want to take it out of commission during the summer driving season.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Your not that far from me, if you're in Fremont, and can give you advice or help if needed. I've done several Holley HP's and Sniper setups along with my Terminator in my Cobra (F5). I used un-terminated harnesses for the exact reason you mention. Going the universal one, you'd cut that one anyway. As mentioned from white95, those are all you need. I too crimped and soldered my connections. If you need connectors, I have some as well as the .035 spade tool (https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Terminal-Extractor-Pick-Blade/dp/B00475Z23E/ref=sr_1_38?crid=1BZ0V6CRBEJ8A&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.xWKwZmh-r4zyPENfylLy35GX6PpOdtz528149ljxzZnL9NXT10meWmGU-TVOZjhOt9312zELjMjjLNbHYrzGkUU52rP3rhCSPee9A4lSgncAC3Bw3KfeKAipvfIl7xjHnx2Q46L5DNEQIkvsRUt01O0c7UiaScqDJeYCvYUNYYHGAq_t5Oz5WWG8U17eamxqB-OMts59mPOOX5Kt_CMcJsASaYkJ01eOnIEni6qIqJNjy1GvHWrIth4z27UWXDymnfJXE9VYjy7WyeY5fQYNbKZsfLn2j6nPRaFuBaotWvk.7ON7q-poA9Ms8idDUcFug-ePz6QoDU-tgh92WE6f9YM&dib_tag=se&keywords=.065+electric+terminal+tool&qid=1711923798&sprefix=065+electric+terminal+tool,aps,171&sr=8-38) you should invest in.
Are you by chance part of Team Weinerdog? You know, Joe Silva and friends?

weendoggy

Reaction score
Thanks, I may just take you up on your offer. It'll be a while before I start the conversion since the carb works and I don't want to take it out of commission during the summer driving season.
Sounds good. Are you putting this on a SBF or Modular? Either way, once you locate where you're going to mount the Holley ECU, you can start a lot of your wiring without interfering with normal operation.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Are you by chance part of Team Weinerdog? You know, Joe Silva and friends?
No, I have my own team: me, myself & I. :D I do seem them a lot at our NorCal Shelby events, but that's about it.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
No, I have my own team: me, myself & I. :D I do seem them a lot at our NorCal Shelby events, but that's about it.
So you are a NorCal SAAC member, that's great and glad to hear it! 429 is my club permanent number. I've been a member since '97 (I think).
Joe is an amazing guy, so incredibly knowledgeable and an extremely talented driver. You may already know this, but he's a past SCCA champion in both Super Production and Baby Grand. Last I heard he's the crew chief for a Ford GT Le Mans team. On top of all that he's quite humble.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Sounds good. Are you putting this on a SBF or Modular? Either way, once you locate where you're going to mount the Holley ECU, you can start a lot of your wiring without interfering with normal operation.
A large displacement (429 CID) aluminum 4-bolt 351W. I recently posted a link to a video of the new engine running in the Build Ups & Projects section. That's what it'll be hooked up to. Check it out and make sure to turn the volume UP!

weendoggy

Reaction score
So you are a NorCal SAAC member, that's great and glad to hear it! 429 is my club permanent number. I've been a member since '97 (I think).
Joe is an amazing guy, so incredibly knowledgeable and an extremely talented driver. You may already know this, but he's a past SCCA champion in both Super Production and Baby Grand. Last I heard he's the crew chief for a Ford GT Le Mans team. On top of all that he's quite humble.
Yep, permanent number 534. Usually drive my '02 Mustang (coyote) or F5 Cobra. I've known Joe for about 5yrs. I thought he sold the Weinerdog Fox Body though. Engine sounds smooth!

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
Yep, permanent number 534. Usually drive my '02 Mustang (coyote) or F5 Cobra. I've known Joe for about 5yrs. I thought he sold the Weinerdog Fox Body though. Engine sounds smooth!
Yeah I think you're right about Joe selling his Wiener-mobile. I think he told me that he kept the engine though. It's all a little fuzzy now as that was almost 4 years ago. I am SOOOO looking forward to getting my car back on the track. I will need to take it back to Joe to finish the alignment. That's what I was doing when one of the CompCams tie-bar lifters failed (the tie-bar itself) and took out the cam three blocks from his shop in MV. How the heck does a tie-bar fail anyway? That's Kevin Sittner of Precision Machines in Lodi in the video. I need to make sure I get that lifter back from him as a sad memento...
On a side note, I advise everyone to NEVER use a Transpo voltage regulator. They used to be the best... until they were acquired and moved production from the USA to China. That piece failing into an unregulated mode on the track at SAAC-43 cost me an arm and a leg and almost 2 years to get fixed. Powermaster no longer uses them. Never use a CompCams lifter either. Ray Miller suggested Johnson lifters. They're pricey but incredible quality. That's what's in the new engine. CC makes good cams, but avoid their lifters.
I checked out your web pages about your health issues and Coyote conversion. I've never done that kind of documenting, but will do some as the engine goes back in. I have my own health issues with T1 diabetes since age 13. I hope to meet you in person one of these days.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I think you're right about Joe selling his Wiener-mobile. I think he told me that he kept the engine though. It's all a little fuzzy now as that was almost 4 years ago. I am SOOOO looking forward to getting my car back on the track. I will need to take it back to Joe to finish the alignment. That's what I was doing when one of the CompCams tie-bar lifters failed (the tie-bar itself) and took out the cam three blocks from his shop in MV. How the heck does a tie-bar fail anyway? That's Kevin Sittner of Precision Machines in Lodi in the video. I need to make sure I get that lifter back from him as a sad memento...
On a side note, I advise everyone to NEVER use a Transpo voltage regulator. They used to be the best... until they were acquired and moved production from the USA to China. That piece failing into an unregulated mode on the track at SAAC-43 cost me an arm and a leg and almost 2 years to get fixed. Powermaster no longer uses them. Never use a CompCams lifter either. Ray Miller suggested Johnson lifters. They're pricey but incredible quality. That's what's in the new engine. CC makes good cams, but avoid their lifters.
I checked out your web pages about your health issues and Coyote conversion. I've never done that kind of documenting, but will do some as the engine goes back in. I have my own health issues with T1 diabetes since age 13. I hope to meet you in person one of these days.
I have a HO alt with an offboard voltage regulator and had good luck with my balmar regulator for it if you are looking for a name to try.

weendoggy

Reaction score
CobraRGuy, some of the reasons (maybe most important) I document is so i can remember exactly what I did, what I used and what happened. Also there for others if interested. No short cuts for me, not worth it. Yes, Joe said he did keep the engine. I had a Comp lifter break at the axle about 3mi. from my house. Able to limp home and after diagnosing the problem, just toasted the lifter (roller still in the port) and cam. Engine (331) was sound, sold it, another buddy had it rebuilt by my engine guy and running in his Cobra now. I built a new Boss SBBB 347 for mine , (running Crane valvetrain) and both running the HP Terminator for the past 8yrs. Thanks for checking out my site. Not many do, but has good info, for me. :D I'm sure we'll meet up at some time. If you go to the Mini-Nats, I'm always there.

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
CobraRGuy, some of the reasons (maybe most important) I document is so i can remember exactly what I did, what I used and what happened. Also there for others if interested. No short cuts for me, not worth it. Yes, Joe said he did keep the engine. I had a Comp lifter break at the axle about 3mi. from my house. Able to limp home and after diagnosing the problem, just toasted the lifter (roller still in the port) and cam. Engine (331) was sound, sold it, another buddy had it rebuilt by my engine guy and running in his Cobra now. I built a new Boss SBBB 347 for mine , (running Crane valvetrain) and both running the HP Terminator for the past 8yrs. Thanks for checking out my site. Not many do, but has good info, for me. :D I'm sure we'll meet up at some time. If you go to the Mini-Nats, I'm always there.
If I can't make the Laguna event in June I should be able to make MiniNats.
I've been crewing for a buddy of mine who has a land speed record car he runs at the Bonneville Salt Flats. It's a blown gas streamliner (B/BGS). His fastest speed to date is 365mph. For a car guy like myself this is kind of a dream come true. The current record holder is a Guy named Eddie (Eddie's Chop Shop). The record stands at 367 and change. Tom hit 365 with his engine on fire and cutting out badly. All previous issues have been dealt with, so we're hopeful this is the year. We feel Tom's car (the Bonneville Salt Shark) is capable of 400 or more. Eddie knows that Tom is nipping at his heels. This year could be epic. I got to watch Speed Demon do a 471mph run. The fastest piston engine car in the world. That was amazing.
Perry

OP
OP
CobraRGuy

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
I have a HO alt with an offboard voltage regulator and had good luck with my balmar regulator for it if you are looking for a name to try.
Thanks. I contacted Powermaster and asked them what brand and part number they're using now. I put one of those on and have not had any issues, so I'm not looking to change to something else. I do appreciate your input.

CobraRGuy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online