Power Seat knob without motors?

anton_lor

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a question about the driver seat of my 1996 Cobra Convertible. I have the sport seats with a manual lever to slide the seat back and forth, aswell as a manual lever to tilt the back of the seat. There is also the electric lumbar support and the handwheel for the lateral support. I searched for a way to raise/lower the whole seat. On the front of the seat below my left thigh is the power seat control knob/joystick. But it does nothing when i tilt it up/down/left/right. I looked under the seat at the seat bracket and there are no motors, just the bracket for the manual adjustment and I guess the wires for the lumbar support. At the back of the seat are some electrical connections with one smaller gray plug loose.
Did all sport seats come with the power seat control knob even though they were manually operated? Or did the previous owner switch out the bracket? Is there a way to raise or lower the whole seat without the 6 way power seat option?
Thank you for your help!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The motors are tucked up under the seat so unless you were to remove it and flip it completely over you will not see it. is the harness hanging from the seat, or coming up from the floor?

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
I made some pictures of the underside of the seat, I hope that helps. I saw the bracket of a 99 with a 6 way seat and the motors were clearly visible. My bracket just seems like the standard manual seat, I guess:WhatsApp Bild 2024-04-14 um 19.48.21_8f4f7402.jpg

WhatsApp Bild 2024-04-14 um 19.48.21_7f8f305a.jpg

WhatsApp Bild 2024-04-14 um 19.48.25_e522832c.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like one of the motors might have gone out and they just replaced the track with a manual one.

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
Kind of wierd to not replace the motor but the whole bracket. Well, guess I have bad luck and have to live with the manual seat. But I guess, I am right, that there shouldn't be the Power Seat Control Knob, right?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The worm gears or motors are known to get gunked up/break and then sometimes people are screwed getting the seats out if it was stuck all the way down and back as you could not reach the rear bolts then. The manual tracks are just easier/more reliable and cheaper.

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
Thank you! There is no way to change the height of the seat without the electric bracket, right?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can always add some aluminum blocks to raise it but no there is no adjustability with out the motor

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
Okay, thank you for your help! I guess I am stuck with the manual seat and the control knob now ^^

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can keep your eyes open for an old set of stock seats, or put the word out that you are looking. The stock leather never holds up, and nobody wants the cloth seats. The only parts of value are the tracks honestly. I tried to get $50 for the seats and no one bit but when I pulled the tracks off I sold one for 50, the other for 25 and put the lumbar in my current corbeau seats.

OP
OP
A

anton_lor

Reaction score
I see, I'll probably just stick with the manual seats and live with the usesell joystick up front. It is less of an headache and i don't really need to change the height of the seat. It is just wierd that the previous owner seems to have replaced the electric bracket for the manual, but well, I don't really have a choice here in my country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brad Nimbus

Members online