87 block lower miles 69,000
Stock Cam.
need new heads
Explore intake.
75 mm bbk th body.
Mac long tube with H pipe being Cera coated in cermic
Holly Term X
New water pump.amd ballencer.
New oil pan tapped for a turbo drain or if I need one for a blower .
Arp hardware everywhere
New clutch going in as flywheel.
Motor is out of car now.

I've decided to put a blower on it as I have never had one.
Vortec si or procharger I will probably pick up used I believe procharger is better with intercooler?

Hopefully I can make 440 plus rwhp.
I want a fun street car

I might put a better intake on it as well.
Meth injection?

I was all set to go turbo but I just want something simple.
I'm pretty green on super charger stuff allways had nos or turbos.
Goal is 440 hp or more.

Last edited:

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
A decent set of heads help huge on these engines . The gt 40’s are still restrictive compared to afr , Edelbrock , trickflow etc . The sve heads from LMR are said to be nice heads for the money . Centri blowers are a ton of fun and reliable as hell . My prochargers been on the car since 2006.

If you got e85 near you I always suggest going that route on stock block boosted 302’s it keeps detonation out of the equation . It’s Still totally doable on pump gas . My cars pullied for 17psi so I don’t drive it hard on 94 octane .

For your setup I’d do .
60lb injectors
Walbro 450 or stealth 340lph
Vortech v3 , procharger or whatever you choose and 10-12 psi .

You’ll have a hell of a street car . You can drive it anywhere get decent fuel mileage while out of boost and have killer power on tap .

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a similar build if I'd ever get out in the shop and get to work.

Vortech SiTrim
94/95 Cobra Intake (110% because its a Cobra and *aesthetics*)
AFR Chynaboi Enforcer Heads

I've got a mystery cam in this current shortblock and I think a F cam on the shelf, so whichever cam lines up better for boost will go in.

Fuel system is the only piece I haven't really dug in too much, I've got some 42# injectors, but likely going to bump up and do like Mustard said with 60#'s and bigger pump.

I'm not overly concerned with all-out power as I just want a super fun street car, but I don't think 400+ is going to be out of reach.

If I hadn't snagged such a good deal on the Vortech, I was originally planning on Procharger for ease of running an intercooler. But couldn't argue with the Vortech's price, and again, not trying to set records or anything with this car.

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Thanks for the great set up advice .

I love the price point on those sve heads but I worry about the deck height being like 3.5 I allways was told 500 or more on boasted engines anymore than 12 psi on that and being a thin deck height .

I will have E 85 about 6 miles from me .
I also have a Holly Term X for the car as well.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks for the great set up advice .

I love the price point on those sve heads but I worry about the deck height being like 3.5 I allways was told 500 or more on boasted engines anymore than 12 psi on that and being a thin deck height .

I will have E 85 about 6 miles from me .
I also have a Holly Term X for the car as well.

it’s not deck height that’s a problem it’s poor tuning and bad harmonics that usually cause the block to split . Detionation is usually the leading factor that splits the block . The terminator x makes tuning so much better , that’s what I’m running on my car . Personally I wouldn’t listen to what most people say about the 500hp rule on a 302 . Most people saying the blocks split at 500hp don’t even make 350 at the wheels . Harmonics play a big part I always run a good quality harmonic balancer . Tuning has came along way in like last 10-15 years. I’ve been pushing north of 12psi on my car for years now . 100’s of 1/8 and 1/4 mile passes . Car still makes killer oil pressure has great compression across the board . If you got e85 6 miles away , I would for sure be buying a nice set of heads and run a vortech at 12 psi of procharger . 8.2 deck small block fords aren’t as weak as everyone thinks . IMG_0189.jpeg

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
.500 thick decks a minimum. 20+ is lots and then I'd look for .750.

You seldom have to worry about anything until something in the tune goes askew. And something in the tune always goes askew.

It's about redundant capability ...

But I wouldn't be happy with .375 decks in a N/A beater. A little bit of heat, and it's over.
The continuation of including Chinese rocker studs, 3/8 at that is weird.
I believe promax are .500 Though.

And ... so do we. But sometimes it's better to just walk away ...

I'm not to worried about the block split worried about the head lift from it being thin compared to a better brand head like I believe you suggested in your last post.

Pic of my motor as it sits now.

Attachments

• 17157023930088059858385498012154.jpg
    17157023930088059858385498012154.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 6

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
By all means buy a better head if you’re worried about head deck thickness . Use head studs and a good head gasket and you’ll be fine my heads have been decked to about the max from when I lifted a head years ago when I was still on head bolts and the stock ecu with 30LB injectors .

Seems like you know more than enough to ask for advice here . Enjoy the journey . On e85 you won’t be worried about heat . I’ll let you figure things out on your own .

I’m just a a guy with a stock bottom end 302 that’s stayed together for years . Hopefully you have good luck .

image000000.jpegimage000000.jpeg

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and tricks.
I don't think one person knows it all I like to talk to alot of people get tips along the way.

I mean look you have had great success with your combo .
I'd love to save some cash on some heads but I think if I just spend the money I will be way more happy it looks like.
I have fel pro 9333 already and Arp head studs ready to go on with scorpian 1.7 rockers.

Seems like the vortec units are up for sale more than pro charger .
What do people use for a intercooler than for the vortec ebay intercooler or on3 ?
I'm pretty sure I whould use both 93 Oct and E85 for Fuel.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cx racing makes a kit that work for these cars with a vortech . Yea if you’re going terminator x just add a flex fuel sensor . I still haven’t done that I just run two separate tunes . You’re right way easier to find a nice used vortech at a good price . Prochargers rarely come up for sale .

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Thanks man I really appreciate it .
I have done some homework on certain things but I'm clueless on the blower stuff.

Any thought on this I have a brand new oil pan that I taped and welded a -10 for oil return I was going to put on the new motor.
I still have my old pan in good shape .
I just fig I could cap it off and not use it and if for whatever reason I hated the blower set up I could easily put the turbo on as the pan is Tapped for it

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks man I really appreciate it .
I have done some homework on certain things but I'm clueless on the blower stuff.

Any thought on this I have a brand new oil pan that I taped and welded a -10 for oil return I was going to put on the new motor.
I still have my old pan in good shape .
I just fig I could cap it off and not use it and if for whatever reason I hated the blower set up I could easily put the turbo on as the pan is Tapped for it
I would use the pan with the bung welded in just in case . You’ll be more than happy with a blower combo . I would skip right past the 6-8psi pulley and go right to 10-12psi . You’ll be happy you did .

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Great thanks for the clarification.

I need a cat back exhaust.
Not trying to be loud .
Looking around for a used set in good condition.
Borla is one of the best .
Any other good recommendations for good flow on these blower cars ?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and tricks.
I don't think one person knows it all I like to talk to alot of people get tips along the way.

I mean look you have had great success with your combo .
I'd love to save some cash on some heads but I think if I just spend the money I will be way more happy it looks like.
I have fel pro 9333 already and Arp head studs ready to go on with scorpian 1.7 rockers.

Seems like the vortec units are up for sale more than pro charger .
What do people use for a intercooler than for the vortec ebay intercooler or on3 ?
I'm pretty sure I whould use both 93 Oct and E85 for Fuel.

You'll need an intercooler with both passenger side inlet and outlet or I've seen people run a different intake and have the TB facing the driver side. Generally, most Vortech guys at this level are not running an intercooler.

OP
OP

9394stang

Reaction score
Great information.
But with this low of Boost you don't think it's necessary it sounds like
How about running a aem meth kit?

95opal

Reaction score
Great information.
But with this low of Boost you don't think it's necessary it sounds like
How about running a aem meth kit?

At this point in time i would choose
Meth over an intercooler but with low boost neither is necessary. Either one can be added down the road if you find its needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonathanlenry