painting taillight 94-95 taillight bezels=fail!

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
ill get pics up but its not pretty

the person who painted them previously didnt do a good job taping them up so i took my time and now it looks like :puke: guess im going to have to redo them....lame

Passenger

Reaction score
Sucks to hear that. I painted mine and they turned out quite nicely IMO.

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
I've got a pair in my trunk that I plan on working on next summer. I wish Ford would have primmered the plastic before they painted them.

95-stang

Reaction score
I bought some brand new bare unprimered\unpainted ones, my brother in law is a top painter at a local Ford main agent.
His first comment was " how do you mask these sodding things up" and other colourful stuff.
When i got them back last week he mentioned what a pig they were to do, and to take care of them as he did'nt fancy doing more. :(

Passenger

Reaction score
Theyre seriously not that hard to do. My brother and I sat in the living room with a roll of masking tape. He had one light, I had the other. After they were masked off, we roughed up the bezels with a sanding block, then made sure they were clean of dust and junk and sprayed them with black trim paint I bought at Autozone. Masking is the hardest part about it, just be patient and use a steady hand, you can do it.

tails.jpg

OP
OP
B

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
i took my time masking the lights...the guy before me didnt and got pink on most of the lights beh :puke:

Passenger

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
I did one of mine yesterday.

P.S. It's easier if you seperate the bezel from the light itself ;D

PICT2065.jpg

PICT2074.jpg
94-95 tail lights and bezels are one solid piece.

OP
OP
B

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
BlackMachDown said:
i took my time masking the lights...the guy before me didnt and got pink on most of the lights beh :puke:

Pink!? What were you using pink for?

the taillights where pink when i purchased them...i pained them flat black but the guy when he painted them pink got paint all over the red lense part so now i have to go back and strip the lights from all paint to make sure it looks good

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
BlackMachDown said:
AaRoN said:
BlackMachDown said:

Pink!? What were you using pink for?

the taillights where pink when i purchased them...i pained them flat black but the guy when he painted them pink got paint all over the red lense part so now i have to go back and strip the lights from all paint to make sure it looks good

gotcha O0

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
AaRoN said:
Really? I guess you learn something everyday ;D

i was just thinking the same thing, why didn't they separate them and wow, i guess you do learn something new everyday rofl

AHayes88

Reaction score
When I did mine, I spent a couple hours taping them up perfectly. Then I sanded. Then I bought some spray primer and some paint and clear coast from napa and autozone.

They came out great, but the actual paint on the car is so faded it kind of looks bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online