PDA

View Full Version : noob question

Bluextc
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I openly admit I know nothing and am learning as I go. I just bought H&R SS springs, and want to do shocks and struts at the same time, but as I said, I'm learning as I go. Not asking for an answer, asking for where I should research.
I do very little daily driving, and am most intersted it doing well in the 1/4 mile. Here's what else I have:
00 GT: Mac CAI, Accubab 75 mm t/b & plenum, SCT xcal2, Mac o/r H, Flowmaster 40's, MGW shifter, MM lca's and x/l sfc'c. Oh, and Ford Racing 4.10's.
Awaiting install: 17x10.5 wheels with BFG 315 drag radials and H&R springs.
Oh, and I'm drinking, probably forgot to list something on the car... just need help on where to research shocks and struts...

Thank you!!!
:)

PS... again, I'm an idiot who know's nothing! so reading these other threads is not helping me... need someplace I can figure out the basics....

Foster98GT
02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, for info from other stang owners you can search Stangnet and Corral.net Theres a ton of info on both of them.

xsoutherngun89x
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
im gonna be runnin Tokico Blues(Hi-Performance) and i got em off Stangsuspension.com. They are a sponsor and we get a discount here at sn95

Bluextc
02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Jerry, As for Stangnet, I left here to come here, and they sorta ignore me now, and tho Im registered at corral, never really been there, so I try to get whatever info I can from here.

SRT Handz
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Mel, Grab a cup of coffee and read this.

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm

If you have any questions afterwards just feel free to ask here on the forum. Either Myself, Dalamar or someone will answer ASAP :thumb:

Foster98GT
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks, Jerry, As for Stangnet, I left here to come here, and they sorta ignore me now, and tho Im registered at corral, never really been there, so I try to get whatever info I can from here.

Just search the Forums...I've found info of every question ive, ever had to ask...

Bluextc
02-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Thank you, gotta get to work, but I will check it out when I get home.

sonicsn95
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Mel go with Lakewood 90/10 struts for the front and the 50/50 shocks for the back. They work well on the track,and also are fine for some street driving.

Bluextc
02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Thank you, drinking (again) tonight, so not doing any research, working on the site Handz gave me, and I will look into Lakewood as soon as I get it done. :)

jfor441
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Thank you, drinking (again) tonight, so not doing any research, working on the site Handz gave me, and I will look into Lakewood as soon as I get it done. :)

I am running Lakewood 70/30 Struts and 50/50 shocks. Work great for everyday driving. Also, will only set you back about 250 bucks.

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
my tokicos were cheaper than that

Bluextc
02-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I am running Lakewood 70/30 Struts and 50/50 shocks. Work great for everyday driving. Also, will only set you back about 250 bucks.

What???!!! I was thinking I'd be spending around $500. I might be able to get the gun, too!!!

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 06:27 PM
yea shocks and struts dont cost too much mel, even the high performance ones like i got

SRT Handz
02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Tokico & Bilstiens > Lakewood

Bluextc
02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I didn't do any research, just looked at the prices on one site, before I posted this question, and thought it was gonna cost alot more. Thinking tomorrow I'll avoid the rum and start reading...

SRT Handz
02-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I didn't do any research, just looked at the prices on one site, before I posted this question, and thought it was gonna cost alot more. Thinking tomorrow I'll avoid the rum and start reading...

Mel, Dont by drag shock...I know your car is your DD and you will enjoy a performance shock more than a drag shock

vermilion
02-08-2008, 07:13 PM
cost affective tokico blues. for everyday usage kyb. but quality is most important and who stands behind their products.

jfor441
02-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Mel, Dont by drag shock...I know your car is your DD and you will enjoy a performance shock more than a drag shock

I swear to God that your reading sucks. Re-read her originial post. SHE DOES NOT DRIVE HER CAR DAILY AND IS INTERESTED IN 1/4 MILE.
A drag shock and strut will be fine for her. Where the hell do you know so much about drag struts and shocks sucking for everyday driving? Did you read that on a road racing forum or something?

I do very little daily driving, and am most intersted it doing well in the 1/4 mile.

GREG@SN95
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Mel... PM r3dn3ck

He knows his suspension stuff, he can splain you everything. That guy is a suspension guro. If you want the best route, he's your man.

SRT Handz
02-08-2008, 08:55 PM

I swear to God that your reading sucks. Re-read her originial post. SHE DOES NOT DRIVE HER CAR DAILY AND IS INTERESTED IN 1/4 MILE.
A drag shock and strut will be fine for her. Where the hell do you know so much about drag struts and shocks sucking for everyday driving? Did you read that on a road racing forum or something?

I do very little daily driving, and am most intersted it doing well in the 1/4 mile.

You can have way more fun driving and do well at the drag strip with a Set Of Bilstiens..... Running drag shocks is making up for other things...you can brings your E.Ts up with other things besides drag shocks which make handling bad.

.....i see 03/04 cobras drag racing will Bilstiens and running 10's....whats your point?

jfor441
02-08-2008, 09:06 PM
What's my point? You don't know what you are talking about is my point. There is nothing wrong with drag shocks and struts on a daily driver. She even mentions that she doesn't drive it a whole lot.

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM
lets keep calm guys...no need to get fired up here. were talkin about shock for a mustang for s***s sake...lol

jfor441
02-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes but Handz opinion is the only right one because he read it on the internet

vermilion
02-08-2008, 09:18 PM
jerry = :police: :police: :police: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 09:21 PM
josh its just an opinion man, lol. we have all read the pros and cons about those drag shocks. (cept for mel, but lets leave her out of this part, she came here for advice) Handz does have knowledge of suspension and he leans towards the handling side of things, nothin wrong with that man. basically mel, anything over you stock pieces are gonna be a vast improvement. personally i chose tokico high performance blues to go wth my H&R super race springs(which should be here tomorrow! :thumb:)

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
jerry = :police: :police: :police: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

hey what can i say, i work for the Montgomery Police Department

vermilion
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
:hammer: :wall: :wall: :wall: ..................... mel, id get the suspension that suits your driving style.

jfor441
02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
:hammer: :wall: :wall: :wall: ..................... mel, id get the suspension that suits your driving style.

Thats my whole point. She already said what she wanted to use her car for. I said drag shocks and struts. Handz says that they suck.

xsoutherngun89x
02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
they have the words drag in em josh, we all know what handz will say about that. lol.

stangsuspension.com has a few good tips on which struts/shocks will be best for your setup mel. check em out

vermilion
02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
mel, good luck. we'll help the best we can.

Bluextc
02-09-2008, 05:26 PM

I've got a couple places to start doing some reading... (and thank you guys!). I'll let ya know what I'm thinking when I get it all done.

GREG@SN95
02-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I've got a couple places to start doing some reading... (and thank you guys!). I'll let ya know what I'm thinking when I get it all done.

Take my advice and PM r3dn3ck. He will not steer you in the wrong direction. I promise.

r3dn3ck
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
If you have a desire for my input, PM me. I'd be more than happy to sit and chat with you on AIM and figure out what exactly it is that you need and are ready for.

BTW, if you want drag strip performance then use drag strip oriented parts. Street and corner carving oriented parts will normally screw up your 60' times and thus add time to your ET's.

Last... don't take any one persons advice. I'm pretty good with suspension but I'm not gawd. I can tell you that the suspension forum has a nice pretty post started by dalamar and featuring a huge post by me and others by a couple other well informed characters which can not only teach you what you'll need to care about but how to care about it cheaply.

GREG@SN95
02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Mel, PM r3d already!

He's gonna learn you stuff that you need to be learned about...

jfor441
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Mel, PM r3d already!

Learn you stuff... LMAO... Dude, I swear you ain't from New Jersey LMAO

GREG@SN95
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Mel, PM r3d already!

Learn you stuff... LMAO... Dude, I swear you ain't from New Jersey LMAO

All my family lives in VA, spent alots of time there growing up.. And I live in the pines... :dunno:

Dalamar
02-11-2008, 11:25 PM
If you have a desire for my input, PM me. I'd be more than happy to sit and chat with you on AIM and figure out what exactly it is that you need and are ready for.

BTW, if you want drag strip performance then use drag strip oriented parts. Street and corner carving oriented parts will normally screw up your 60' times and thus add time to your ET's.

Last... don't take any one persons advice. I'm pretty good with suspension but I'm not gawd. I can tell you that the suspension forum has a nice pretty post started by dalamar and featuring a huge post by me and others by a couple other well informed characters which can not only teach you what you'll need to care about but how to care about it cheaply.

:agree:
there's a differenc between street course and drag setup.
Work it Mel...

so, what kind of gun?

Bluextc
02-13-2008, 08:02 AM

PM was sent. :)

And the gun is a Taurus... The Judge

Work it Mel...

so, what kind of gun?

jfor441
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Work it Mel...

so, what kind of gun?

Chicks, guns and Mustangs. Is there anything better to look for in a woman.

GREG@SN95
02-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Work it Mel...

so, what kind of gun?

Chicks, guns and Mustangs. Is there anything better to look for in a woman.

Good at cooking, not a nonstop talker, smells good, titters.

lol. It would suck if she smelled really bad.

MeanGrn Gt
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
well if your looking for a decent priced all around shocks blues are the way to go (ill be ordering them today). but if u can spend a little more you can pickup some adjustable tokicos or konis and get the best of both worlds. Adjustability is nice if you can afford it.

Strange 10 ways are cheap (300 something if i remember correctly) but people have said they are noisey. They work great if you can deal with the noise(no idea on how the sound).you can get yellow koni sports or tokico illuminas for around 400 also which lots of people like.

the best thing to do is get all the info you can and make a decision on what you want.

Dalamar
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
the judge is a nice little gun.
you getting the shotgun shells and all that.
you can get slugs, or flairs to fire from that thing too! :)