PDA

View Full Version : painted calipers

LXtasy
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
hi yall,

i am ready to put back on my cobra r's and i have to re-paint my calipers. i am thinking to paint them goldish - do u guys thing it would match with hypercoated wheels on a moonlight blue vert?

AaRoN
02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Red or blue FTW

Black97GT
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I think polished...or silver would look hot.

Polished takes time to do though.

Matt94GT
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
i agree on your car polished, or black id have to say.

Paul
02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Black.

realitygt
02-19-2008, 11:33 AM
it depends if you do it right, black you'd probably never even notice and red would look good. but if you do it wrong the red will stand out alot and will look terrible if it starts to peel.

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Painted Black FTW

AaRoN
02-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Black.

Painted Black FTW

Am I really seeing that ^??

realitygt
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Black.

Painted Black FTW

Am I really seeing that ^??

I think it's an illusion. I don't believe it.

Paul
02-19-2008, 01:31 PM
No worries Aaron. Mine would be powdercoated or anodized black, not painted. :)

Oh, and I wouldn't post 684031380403843158 pictures of them after I was done. :hammer:

Paul.

AaRoN
02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
No worries Aaron. Mine would be powdercoated or anodized black, not painted. :)

Oh, and I wouldn't post 684031380403843158 pictures of them after I was done. :hammer:

Paul.

:hammer: :rollinglaugh: :hammer:

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Cobra/PBR and GT/V6 caliper dont look very good powder coated....for some reason its makes them stand out to much.

IMO, only a 1 piece caliper like a Brembo, Stoptech, willwood, ect look good powdercoated

Flat black calipers look clean and discrete

Paul
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I guess flat black powdercoat wouldn't work then. :uglystupid2:

How many "pieces" are PBR calipers? Oh, nevermind Handz... you're the expert on EVERYTHING. :hammer:

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
I guess flat black powdercoat wouldn't work then. :uglystupid2:
How many "pieces" are PBR calipers? Oh, nevermind Handz... you're the expert on EVERYTHING. :hammer:

IDK about yours calipers paul but my PBR/Cobra units are 2 piece calipers....The center sections separates from the Mounting bracket which bolts to the spindle

Paul
02-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Umm, that's an anchor, not a caliper. Last time I checked, those are made of metal and can be powdercoated too if you like.

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Umm, that's an anchor, not a caliper. Last time I checked, those are made of metal and can be powdercoated too if you like.

Yeah They can be powder coated. I have seen Cobra calipers that were Powder coated a few times and it look kinda Glossy and it looked like poop because the it reflected light and the anchor looked weird.... Unlike a Brembo caliper that is one unit and looks smooth. I have never seen flat black powdercoated cobra caliper in person so dont know how it would look... but it would look clean. I was say crinkle Powder coating would look sick also.

Paul
02-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Cobra/PBR and GT/V6 caliper dont look very good powder coated....for some reason its makes them stand out to much.

I have never seen flat black powdercoated cobra caliper in person so dont know how it would look... but it would look clean. I was say crinkle Powder coating would look sick also.

Dang, you are confusing as hell.

Paul.

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Dang, you are confusing as hell.

Paul.

like i said, the only ones i have seen have been that gloss powdercoating jobs like the Cobra R brembos have. I wanted mine Powdercoated but the place i went to only did the Gloss Jobs.... so i just painted flat black. Comes out really nice if you spend the time with Sanding and Prepping

Paul
02-19-2008, 04:17 PM
You're full of sh!t. No powdercoating place is going to turn someone away and say "Sorry, we only do glossy powdercoating here kid." Just go away - your idiocy is ruining this (and many other) threads.

Paul.

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
You're full of sh!t. No powdercoating place is going to turn someone away and say "Sorry, we only do glossy powdercoating here kid." Just go away - your idiocy is ruining this (and many other) threads.

Paul.

WTF is your problem Paul. I said i went to a Place that does powder coating and they said they didnt do Flat Black power coating. They showed me an example of there work and i just wasnt diggin it....so i painted Flat black. How is that Being Full of Shit?

Paul, Just STFU

Dalamar
02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Relax Paul.

I think Gold would look pretty good with your blue paint

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Relax Paul.

I think Gold would look pretty good with your blue paint

http://images.automotive.com/cob/factory_automotive/images/Features/auto_shows/2004_CIAS/2005_Subaru_Impreza_WRX%20STi_wheel%20and%20Brembo %20brakes.jpg

Paul
02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
WTF is your problem Paul. I said i went to a Place that does powder coating and they said they didnt do Flat Black power coating. They showed me an example of there work and i just wasnt diggin it....so i painted Flat black. How is that Being Full of Shit?

Paul, Just STFU

Your idiot posts where you're constantly interjecting your stupid opinions into everything based on absolutely nothing are my problem. There is no way a powdercoating place would turn you and your money away because "they don't do flat black."

GFY.

I'm done with you.

Paul.

SRT Handz
02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Your idiot posts where you're constantly interjecting your stupid opinions into everything based on absolutely nothing are my problem. There is no way a powdercoating place would turn you and your money away because "they don't do flat black."

GFY.

I'm done with you.

Paul.

I never said they they turned me away. I said i looked at what they could do and after evaluation i decided i wanted to sand everything smooth and paint myself. They never turned me away, i decided to go a different route.

Paul
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I never said they they turned me away. I said i looked at what they could do and after evaluation i decided i wanted to sand everything smooth and paint myself. They never turned me away, i decided to go a different route.

I wanted mine Powdercoated [u]but the place i went to only did the Gloss Jobs...

You must've gone to the only powdercoating place on earth that won't do flat black. :blah2: :blah2: :blah2:

Black97GT
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
I think Black would look good too!

And Handz and Paul....I hope you guys never meet in real life...

Brian95SVT
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
i agree on your car polished, or black id have to say.

that's what I'm thinkin
Although red ones do look sick on certain cars
but for mine I'ma do either the color of my car, polished, silver or black
haha
not sure which one i'ma go with just yet
i'm thinkin the polished or silver... prolly silver cuz less work hahhaha

97vertstang
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM
black :thumb:

Brian95SVT
02-22-2008, 09:24 PM
so what exactly are the steps to doin that?

is there an artical?

94Pro-5.0
02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
polished > gloss black > silver > blue (color of your car) > red > flat black > gold

SRT Handz
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM

is there an artical?

just sand and paint....standard rattle can procedure

i painted mine then sanded off the paint on the Cobra Letters to make them silver

94Pro-5.0
02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

is there an artical?

just sand and paint....standard rattle can procedure

i painted mine then sanded off the paint on the Cobra Letters to make them silver

also, don't put the paint on too thick. The calipers get hot, so if you put on too many coats it will crack, even if you use high temp paint. powder coating is the way to go, but if you can't afford it, this is how i'd do it

sand with 80, then 180. This will make it coarse so the paint will stick.
sand the first coat barely with 320.

put on 2 more light coats

then, like handz said, sand off the paint on the letters (if you have the letters) and you could even put a thin coat of high temp clear over that.