lowering a 95?

alex_mtl

Reaction score
hi everyone
i have a 1995 mustang thats presently in the shop to get a saleen make over... almost all done but ive been getting told that suspension can be really tricky if not done perfectly... when i bought the car 5 years ago the guy before me did nothin on but lower it 3 inches but it was horribly done and the driveshaft was rubbin on the frame (had to lift it )
anyways if anyone has some good tips id really appreciate it.

thanks alot guys
Alex

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
tips on lowering it right or raising it back up? are you planning on doing it yourself?

i don't know if anyone here has had problems with the driveshaft rubbing their floor pans because they lowered it so much but the driveshaft rubbing on the underbody is a serious problem.

OP
OP
A

alex_mtl

Reaction score
ya the driveshaft was rubbing but that was takin care of 2 weeks after buying the car... guy before me really didnt know wat he was doing.
but ya just tips on lowering it cause now its riding on stock suspension and its alil to high for my taste especially with the new body kits.
thanks

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Here is a tip. Lower it too low, and you lose suspension travel, comfort, and end up with bad geometry. If you like your car to handle like ass and ride like shit, I highly suggest Eibach Sportline.

OP
OP
A

alex_mtl

Reaction score
so you suggest the Eibach Sportline as a good move or to make it a shitty ride?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
alex_mtl said:
so you suggest the Eibach Sportline as a good move or to make it a shitty ride?

Sportlines right ALOT better than H&R Supersports.... Alot of people on this forum and stangnet that have H&R SS springs say that they wanna swap over to Sportlines because the ride is too hard.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
are sportlines really comfortable? more comfortable than a pro kit/ stock?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
realitygt said:
are sportlines really comfortable? more comfortable than a pro kit/ stock?

No...Not THAT comfortable.... but better than SuperSports

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
My supersports are pretty rough but I was expecting them to be and I really don't care if I need a kidney belt to drive my car so it's not a big deal to me.

I don't see how a comparable spring like sportlines will be any more comfortable as the spring rate is probably the same or nearly so. :dunno:

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I can't believe that you guys are bitching about H&R SS. I've got H&R Race and my car ride very nicely. Yeah, it a bit firm, but is not even close to uncomfortable. Either one of those things happened with those springs.

1. The car is lowered too much, so the shock is not liking being compressed that much just sitting there
2. Whatever shocks will give you whatever ride. With my Konis on fully soft, the car rides really nice.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
I can't believe that you guys are bitching about H&R SS. I've got H&R Race and my car ride very nicely. Yeah, it a bit firm, but is not even close to uncomfortable. Either one of those things happened with those springs.

1. The car is lowered too much, so the shock is not liking being compressed that much just sitting there
2. Whatever shocks will give you whatever ride. With my Konis on fully soft, the car rides really nice.

I wasn't bitching at all, in fact I was trying to say that it isn't that rough and even if it was I wouldn't mind. I couldn't find the spring rates for the H&R Race but I'm guessing they are softer than Supersports. Is that right?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
H&R springs from smallest spring rate to largest spring rate.

Sport - Super Sport - Race - Super Race.

What you have on your car is a 700-760 front and 275-300 rear with roughly 1.5+ inch drop. What I have on my car is 750-850 front and 260-280 rear with 1.0 drop max.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The ride on my car is BACK BREAKING with my sportlines and all the goodies... i bet SS springs would be pretty damn rough

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You should drive my car one of these days (maybe some time on May, hint hint). I've got way mor spring rate than you and it rides pretty soft.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
H&R springs from smallest spring rate to largest spring rate.

Sport - Super Sport - Race - Super Race.

What you have on your car is a 700-760 front and 275-300 rear with roughly 1.5+ inch drop. What I have on my car is 750-850 front and 260-280 rear with 1.0 drop max.

I figured Supersports had the highest rates. For what it's worth, my car actually dropped 2 1/2" from stock height.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I was going for H&R Super Sport springs myself, before I found out how much they drop the car. I did not want the car lower than 1 inch over stock for the reasons that I've already explained to you. Right after that I changed my mind and went for H&R Race. More spring rate, less drop, excellent handling and road manners. It may not look as good as "lowering springs" mustang might have, but I really don't mind when I'm tearing it up at the track.

6nrmvjn.jpg

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
You're right it's all about priorities and appearance is only just one part. I have yet to AutoX or open track this car but its in the plans and I'm more concerned with how low it is rather than how it performs right now...I know I'll wish I had gotten the Race springs after I get some times though it's going to be fun! :thumb:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn ReplicaR, you need a Brake upgrade ASAP :boink:

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The next time I'm running Big Willow, which is where I'd like to have more stopping power, is gonna be in autumn. For SOW, stock 99+ brakes work good. Right now the big priority is cooling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online