Chassis foam, interesting stuff..

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I was reading up on why import guy's don't use subframe connectors ( I still have no idea, lol ) , But I came acrossed this story about filling the subframe and chassis with a special type of expanding foam. The maker's claim a 40% increase in chassis rigidity, and the couple of guy's I could find who did it said the interior is quieter, ride is better and the chassis feels stiffer.

This stuff sounds alot like what the OE's are doing on higher end car's to keep noise down. Anyway, here are a couple link's to the process, with more links inside them.

http://www.sr20forum.com/general-sr20/95856-foamseal-impression-excellent-stuff.html

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0006scc_project_nissan_300zx_part_5/index.html

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wonder if this is what makes the "quiet steel" in the new F150's?

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
1. pull out interior

2. squirt foam in holes in A pillar, B pillar, rocker panels

3. wait

4. trim excess

5. replace interior.

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no idea what effect it will have on structural rigidity, they claim an increase of 40%. They make the stuff though, so they are biased.

People who have done it claim they have no more creaks and rattles. That can easily be explained by the foam, nothing is able to squeek or rattle encased in foam.

Now as for the foam itself, it IS called structural foam for a reason, it's often used in building construction, boat's, and lately vehicles.

I don't think it will replace subframes or anything, but personally I am somewhat fanatical about chassis rigidity. Everyday you drive around with subframes, your car is bowing down more and more. I hate it, I intended to do through the floor connectors on my car. I would have been a PITA to pull the old MM full lengths and cage to do it though, so I was putting it off.

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well, take it from a guy that knows how to blow up building's, lol. The foam does work well in that enviroment for sure. I certainly don't think it would hurt at all. I mean worst case, it does nothing for rigidity (doubtful, I don't believe 40%, but 0 is unlikely), add's 10 lb's to your car, and makes it quiter.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i can see how that would help with flex that much..just sound detaining.

my buddies in to Car Audio fill parts of the car with foam and i didnt notice any handling difference

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
J.R. said:
I don't think it will replace subframes or anything, but personally I am somewhat fanatical about chassis rigidity. Everyday you drive around with subframes, your car is bowing down more and more. I hate it, I intended to do through the floor connectors on my car. I would have been a PITA to pull the old MM full lengths and cage to do it though, so I was putting it off.

your car is bowing because you have subframes?

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Thunder Dave said:
I think he meant withOUT

your car still isn't going to bow just because it doesn't have subframes. there have been hundreds of thousands of cars manufactured with a unibody structure and only front subframe and rear frame rails and none of them have "bowing". The thing that can happen is it can twist ur body if you go crazy and do wheelstands and stuff :hammer:

Goldmember

Reaction score
Ford's "Quiet Steel" is basically a sandwich of steel, rubber, and more steel.

Foam making a stiffer chassis? I'm only speculating that it feels that way because of all the noise and whatnot being muted- kind of like the illusion of a stiffer chassis- but maybe the stuff really works. Someone ought to do a before and after on this.

OP
OP
J

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
realitygt said:
Thunder Dave said:
I think he meant withOUT

your car still isn't going to bow just because it doesn't have subframes. there have been hundreds of thousands of cars manufactured with a unibody structure and only front subframe and rear frame rails and none of them have "bowing". The thing that can happen is it can twist ur body if you go crazy and do wheelstands and stuff :hammer:

Sorry bud, look around and see how well doors are opening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.