Bridgestone Potenza RE730

cntchds

Reaction score
I found two used Bridgestone Potenza RE730 235/40 R17 for $50 on craigslist, so I told the guy I'd be down tomorrow to pick them up since I have worn almost through and through both of my front tires... (uneven wear which I'm assuming has to do with the fact that my sway bar end link on the driver's side snapped)

I was just curious if anyone had used either Gen I or Gen II since I don't know which Gen the ones that I am picking up are. Gen Is seem to be getting bashed relentlessly, but I wanted to find out how bad they really are... I mean, for 50 bucks it doesn't really matter, but I'm just curious to get opinions on here.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Check tire rack. They probably could have tests against the tire you might have used in past. Any time I buy any tire, I go there and check the stats first.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
The problem is that the first generation had pretty bad ratings while the second generation had great ratings. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them since what I've had on my car is pretty much a set of mismatched bad all around tires since I got it, so I don't really know what to expect anyway. I checked tire rack and the one review of the second generation was full of praise.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Strange that they did not have the test for first generation tire. What you also have to keep in mind is how old the tire is. If the tire was stored somewhere with a lot of sun, chances are it's gonna be rock hard, and will not have much traction. For 50 dollars I would probably not complain, but then again I would not be tracking the car on those tires.

BTW, having mismatched tires is the worst thing you can do for your handling. Most of your handling is tires, so when the corner grip is inconsistant, it's pretty easy to get into sticky situation. Or should I say, non sticky, because I found out about that the hard way. A while ago (about a year back), I changed just one tire, thinking that I would be ok. I was fucking around one day in the canyons, and did not count on one corner having less grip than the other. I slid off the road, and almost flipped the car over. Now I pay great attention to tires.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
Thank you. I know that the tires were kept inside of a garage, so sun damage should be minimal. As for my tires, I haven't taken my car to anywhere near its limits because of the fact that I don't have good tires. I'll get another two matching tires for the front when I find another set for a good price, or when I can find a full set. If I had money to buy new, I would. This is the best I can do for now though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online