Suspension overhaul

dustinv

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm overhauling the suspension on a 96 cobra and need a little help. What components of the mustang's suspension system need to be swapped out when lowering the vehicle? New control arms, need for a bumb steer kit, anything else I'm missing? I just want to make sure I get this job done right the first time. Thanks guys!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Nothing "needs" to be swapped out, when the car is dropped. You might wanna get the camber plates, just to get the alignment right.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
the suspension sticky has alot of ideas and info for you to use. it only lacks company ratings and specs but the respectable company's site can assit you. its mainly the driver's preference and style. and happy modding and welcome.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Definitely check out the Suspension sticky. That's where I got my info for my suspension setup.

For me, MM 4-bolt c/c plates, Eibach Sportlines & Foxbody-spec Tokico blues were just the ticket.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
most just do springs and c/c plates.

some go all out and do x2 balljoints and bumpsteer kit and offset alignemnt stuff or something idk, almost no one does that tho cause it 's the same either way

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
its not all the same. drive mine then drive your stock one. let me know what you like more and is stable. every little bit of pre-maintenance and upkeep does a wonder. yes most people only do c/c plates and springs but those people look at different aspects of the car for higher priority.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
xploder17s said:
its not all the same. drive mine then drive your stock one. let me know what you like more and is stable. every little bit of pre-maintenance and upkeep does a wonder. yes most people only do c/c plates and springs but those people look at different aspects of the car for higher priority.

i know it's not exactly the same, but most people would never care or notice enough to spend the extra $100 on x2 balljoints and bumpsteer gauges, and kits and everything.

if you're wanting some good suspension then you probably won't do springs and c/c plates and balljoints lol you'll do coilovers and tubular control arms and whatnot

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
It seems there might be a little confusion as to what I'm trying to accomplish here. To clarify...I want to know how I can get the absolute most out of the suspension setup already in place (with new parts of course) without a fullblown coilover conversion. I realize you can get away with just springs and cc plates. But I want to make the most out of what it is. If a bumpsteer kit and x2 balljoints will improve the setup then I want to know. What will take to do this job right?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
lowered height and springs alone wont stop the occassional bumpsteer. i recommend those and for balljoints. some get the steeda x2s to adjust the geometry of being lowered. which BOTH are well worth it if all you have is springs and c/c plates. every little thing to tighten or adjust the foxbody chassis we have will make a difference. a pan hard bar and torque arm are great additions also well only if you plan on keeping it for along time to come. everyone has different aspects of racing or street handling.

1trikgt

Reaction score
It does matter if you want your suspension to last a long time and have propper geometry... if you drop your car the geometry of the suspension is affected... In my opinion anything less than 2" drop is ok with just the c/c plates but if you go lower, then you need to offset the correct components. I have the x/2 balljoints, offset steering rack bushings, c/c plates, steeda bumpsteer and offset a-arm bushings... I noticed a big differance in handling once installed.

J

joelbegt

Not sure if anyone has said it yet but good brand struts and shocks make a huge difference. Do it right the first time. It took me forever to decide what i wanted. Its all about what you want to do with the car. what do you mean by "the most out of your suspension"? do you mean ride quality or handling? Do you have any suspension work already done?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i have fox body kyb struts and shocks. upr shark c/c plates front w/ end links and rear sway bars, GMS front coil-overs. steeda sport springs, steeda adjustable rear sway bar, upr LCAs. when i get back home im finishing my QA1 k-member and A-arms with poly offset bushings. im sure theres more i havent mentioned but i cant remember everything. my personal experience, i had a lot of body roll in the beginning. i needed an alignment bad. i had wear on the inside tire edge. i was bit by the mod bug after i BOUGHT springs and shocks. and changed almost everything in one day. i couldnt tell you of gradual progress but from a night and day feeling. even after all i spent i love it. after i added Gears it was nasty. not to jack the thread but to answer the question with a little more detail.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online