How hard to install lowering springs & shocks and struts?

LaserRed5.0

Reaction score
How hard would it be for someone who has little to no experience with INSTALL shocks/struts and lowering springs? Also how long will it take?

THANKS

Mario7820

Reaction score
You wouldn't believe how easy it is to lower it!!! Do you have the directions on how to do it..?

Sean 96 GT

Reaction score
It's pretty easy. I just did my springs the other week. It took an hour for the front and 30 min. for the rear. As far as shocks/struts for the spring install you have to unbolt one side of each shock/strut to remove the springs so just removing the other sides wouldn't add much time to that 1.5hrs. I'd say with no experience maybe 2.5hrs. It's kinda annoying trying to get those tall stock springs out. Everything else is pretty simple. Here's two different write ups on springs installs. (like I said for shocks/struts just unbolt the other ends and bolt in the new)

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm
http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/spring1.htm

Mario7820

Reaction score
Its easy to take out the fronts the tall shocks... trust me I do it all the time i know i should just get coil overs... but my car in the front sits too low to go on the trailer... So i swap out the springs everytime I dont like coil overs....

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
my front struts were a biach, but it can be done not hard

Mario7820

Reaction score
once you got the car jacked up and the bolts that need to be off to lower the lower a arm. just step on the lower a arm and they will just fall out!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
depending on your wrenching experience...and tools....

Be careful taking out the front springs, you may want to get some spring compressors.
It's not bad, but stuck bolts, and getting the spring unloaded before you pull it out is probably the hard parts.

Mario7820

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
depending on your wrenching experience...and tools....

Be careful taking out the front springs, you may want to get some spring compressors.
It's not bad, but stuck bolts, and getting the spring unloaded before you pull it out is probably the hard parts.

ya i do recomend you be careful if you decide to go with what i said you could get a chain and put it threw the spring so it doesnt hit you in the face!!

BigTang

Reaction score
just stand off to the side. jack the car up, put the jack stand under it anywhere but under the control arm. jack up the control arm to compress the spring, unbolt the lower strut bolts and brake caliper. slowly lower the jack, the stand will support the body and the jack will lower the control arm slowly. if you have the handle positioned right you can move entirely away from the wheel well. once the spring is expanded, push the arm down a little further w/ your foot and the spring will come out.
entire process takes about 45 mins to do w/ air tools for all 4 springs. add in 1 hr for struts and shocks.
i'm not saying you don't need to get a spring compressor or to not be safe about it just use your head and pay attention.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I just did all 4 shrocks/struts and H&R supersports in roughly 2 hours...
And that was with alot of farting around if you know what I mean.

I did not use spring compressors. As someone mentioned above, as long as you get out of the way and lower the jack slowly to releive the pressure from the spring... There should be no problems...

IMO this is defenitely a job that can be done at home, no need to ever pay a mechanic to do this...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online