autocrossing suspension setup

GaryG

Reaction score
im gonna do some autocrossing this year and would like ur advice on what suspension components i should get

right now i have uca, lca, eibach springs

i was looking at sfc's and a panhand bar, what else would i need to have my car handle well in the corners?

would it be best to go 17x9's all the way around or 17x9's an 17x10.5's

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, once you mod your suspension you move up a class in Auto X. Right now you would compete in Stock Class.....if you did mods you would be in Mod Street class

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
my 1st question would be, did 3.73's come standard in a mustang? if not, i believe i would be in the Mod class...b/c when i went to watch them last year, 1 of the guys asked me what has all been done to the car, an i mentioned the 3.73 gears also

MadStang

Reaction score
My first suggestion to anyone starting auto-x is read the Rules that SCCA has set forth before asking questions. Generally the rulebook will cover everything and if you have any further questions then I would come back and ask.

http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf

Honestly though, driving a stock car will really let you know where your car stands and develop your skills for feeling the car much better. Anybody can have an incredible auto-x suspension but not everybody can utilize it to it's 100% capability. Start with minimal mods and work your way up, it's the way I learned and I'm currently in the Street Modified Class, only because I upgraded my brakes to Brembos... But, I'm racing others drivers whose cars heavily outpower my v6, BUT, I'm running almost nearly identical times. I used to be in Street Touring where I was near the top of the class because most of the cars were in my power range and I was just able to out drive them with ease.

So basically as a new comer to auto-x the best mod is tightening the nut in between the steering wheel and the seat :eek:ccasion14:

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dam man, youve never adjusted the suspension tightening nut?

its actually below the steering wheel.

You will need to take off that plastic cover below the steering wheel and look up in there with a flash light

get out a long extension with a 12 mm socket on it.

there should be a bolt up in there

turn it clockwise to tighten suspension

counterclockwise to loosen suspension

let us know how it works out

It was the best mod I ever did for my suspension!

MadStang

Reaction score
95_5.0@15 said:
what nut is that
justinschmidt1 said:
Dam man, youve never adjusted the suspension tightening nut?

its actually below the steering wheel.

You will need to take off that plastic cover below the steering wheel and look up in there with a flash light

get out a long extension with a 12 mm socket on it.

there should be a bolt up in there

turn it clockwise to tighten suspension

counterclockwise to loosen suspension

let us know how it works out

It was the best mod I ever did for my suspension!
95_5.0@15 said:
Damn now I know your shittin me!!!

LOL at all of this. This deserves a facepalm smiley
facepalmsmiley1ti3jz9.gif

YOU are the NUT in between the seat and steering wheel LOL

Driver mod = best mod you can do for auto-x

BigTang

Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about anything besides good tires and the course for the first couple of times out, maybe even season. i had a car that had everything you could throw at it and it was so mismatched. i got stuck running full on race cars because of the stuff. i still had fun and learned but was never competitive.

OP
OP
G

GaryG

Reaction score
im not looking to be competitive, i just want to have fun and have my car handle well in corners

MadStang

Reaction score
GaryG said:
im not looking to be competitive, i just want to have fun and have my car handle well in corners

going from a stock to dialed in setup isn't going to really teach you anything about handling a car. It's kind of like going from a slow honda civic to a formula one car, you're not going to be able to control the car.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I just wanted to be a part of this thread to say that Justin Schmidt is a funny motherfu*ker. LMAO.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
95_5.0@15 said:
Damn, I thought you were gonna go for it for a second

Paul said:
I just wanted to be a part of this thread to say that Justin Schmidt is a funny motherfu*ker. LMAO.

It would have been so much better if he posted up saying he couldnt find the bolt or it didnt work...haha

MadStang

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
MadStang said:
This deserves a facepalm smiley
facepalmsmiley1ti3jz9.gif

Siggy  :headbang:

haha, glad I'm sig quality.

justinschmidt1 said:
95_5.0@15 said:
Damn, I thought you were gonna go for it for a second

Paul said:

It would have been so much better if he posted up saying he couldnt find the bolt or it didnt work...haha

lol, dude when I saw his response to "which nut", i thought "naaah he can't be serious" LOL. that reply was, indeed, epic justin.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
haha, I was trying to create some epic shit.

He must have thought there was an actual nut for a little bit

blackpony

Reaction score
honestly id just get a good set of tires and maybe upgrade a few bushings like the sway bar end links and front control arms and learn to drive it first... honestly if you have never been to a track before then the car as sets factory will be more then enough for you.... go and see for your self...

MadStang

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
haha, I was trying to create some epic shit.

He must have thought there was an actual nut for a little bit

haha. This thread has been epic. I've been sig quoted twice!

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
Nah for a second I thought you were talkin about the nuts in my pants lol, but then I said that cant be right!!

MadStang

Reaction score
95_5.0@15 said:
Nah for a second I thought you were talkin about the nuts in my pants lol, but then I said that cant be right!!

This site has a lack of useful smileys. Because at this point in time I need a BS Flag and I have to search google for it.

bsflag.gif

Don't try to make yourself seem like you somewhat understood what we're talking about because we all know you didn't :nono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online