spring install easy? hard?

EastBayStang98

Reaction score
like the title says, i just got some springs and i went around for install prices they ranged from 400 to 200 dollars, i figure id do it myself. how hard is it to install them?

ram360

Reaction score
I've done it many many times...rears are easy. Front really depend on how tall they are. I usually do them w/ a floor jack and a pry bar. You will prob need to persuade them in w/ something to get them to seat before you jack up the a-arm (I've only had one set of spring that didn't require me to pry them into place)...Wrap a chain thru the spring and to something solid under the car. I know not to long ago some kid was killed when the spring flew out and hit him in the head. I usually do them w/ the a arm still attached....however when I put in drag springs (they are taller than stock springs) I unbolted the a arms from the k member (leave strut attached) and then jacked the a arm back in place. Depends who you ask, I find it easier w/ the a arms still bolted to the k-member then prying the spring into the bottom perch.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its not hard but it can take a little time. The rear springs are gravy, the front just take a li'l elbow grease.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
hints:

schedual LOTS of down time... jsut as a precaution that it takes longer than you expect...

get an INTERNAL spring compressor for the front springs, and an exterior set for the rear.

when usint the internal set on the front, drop a string through the top coil of the spring (as high up as you can) and finger it (haha) all the way down throught the control arm hole. tie the string to the top internal spring claws and pull them up with the string (much easier than slowly fingering them up..)

always place the claws as far up and as far down as you can to give you as much room on the spring to compress them as possible.

buy some gray/black rubberized underseal spray for the wheel wells in case you scrape them with the spring compressors.

also buy some close touch up paint in case you scratch any painted parts with the spring compressors...

use air tools, makes the spring compressors go much faster...

buy new prothayne spring isolators...

if you go lower than (i think) 1.5" you might need new caster camber plates... and you will need new sway bar end links ($16.00)

i suggest using a rag on the claws/clamps of the compressors when putting in the new springs to pretect them... just cut little squares out of some old jeans...

get the car aligned afterwards...

Hope some of that helped :-D

94 DropTop

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^very well put. I thought i read somewhere hte only interal compressor that really works is the ford unit but ill take a look at one tommorow at work.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
^^^^^^^^very well put. I thought i read somewhere hte only interal compressor that really works is the ford unit but ill take a look at one tommorow at work.

my friend and i used the one he got from napa ($100 f-ing dollars... >.< lol)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've done my springs a few times and I've never needed a spring compressor for the front, and definitely not for the rear.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I've done my springs a few times and I've never needed a spring compressor for the front, and definitely not for the rear.

hm. howed you do the front with no compressor?

i dono... i personally just prefer to have those bad boys under control at all times... theres alot of energy pent up in them... id hate to see one fly out and hit someone in the face... LOL

ram360

Reaction score
yea, I don't use a spring compressor either. Gets in the way more than anything. Most guys drop the a arm.

ram360

Reaction score
here's when I did drag springs on my fox years ago..

4387980138_large.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay.. so the a arm is sitting on the ground... how do you get the spring the rest of the way out? lol.........

ram360

Reaction score
here's the difference in height between the front lowering springs I had in the front and the new ones I put in....The new (much taller springs are drag springs)

4387980135_large.jpg

ram360

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
okay.. so the a arm is sitting on the ground... how do you get the spring the rest of the way out? lol.........

it's off the ground just looks that way in the pic...but I'm installing the spring there. You can just turn the a arm slightly in that pic and the spring would fall right on the ground. to remove the old springs I just unbolt the strut (w/ the a arm still attached to the k member and pop it out that way after I lower it w/ a jack)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ram360 said:
MustangChris said:

it's off the ground just looks that way in the pic...but I'm installing the spring there. You can just turn the a arm slightly in that pic and the spring would fall right on the ground. to remove the old springs I just unbolt the strut (w/ the a arm still attached to the k member and pop it out that way after I lower it w/ a jack)

hm... i dono.. i just want a little control thats all... lol.. i dont want to give advice out that will end up in someone losing an eye and the front half of hteir brain ya know? lol. i mean, i just put the compressors on, jacked up the a arm, tightened the comressors, jacked up the a arm more, then tightened the compressors again (did that till i couldnt compress anymore... then just dropped the jack and the spring and compressors feel right out... 100% controlled, 100% easy, 100% effective :)

ram360

Reaction score
if you can get the compressor to work for you by all means use it (I own a spring compress and still do it that way) I run a chain thru the spring....when/if it gets away it doesn't get far and hit me. Just throwing some options out there. You can approach it quite a few ways. Just gotta do what your comfortable with and can accomplish safely.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ram360 said:
if you can get the compressor to work for you by all means use it (I own a spring compress and still do it that way) I run a chain thru the spring....when/if it gets away it doesn't get far and hit me. Just throwing some options out there. You can approach it quite a few ways. Just gotta do what your comfortable with and can accomplish safely.

ah, chain it up... good idear.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
One time i popped the ball joint and the other time i dropped the strut, both ways work pretty well. I never fully removed my A arm though; well not to do the spring anyway.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Im doing drag springs so im going to pick me up a compressor.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
It's really not hard. However I have installed numerous sets. It takes me about 2 hours from car on the ground to back down by myself. I actually did a set on my 98 between school and work and drove it to work right after finishing it lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online