First Post - Looking for help with suspension combo - 94 GT

joeylanz

Reaction score
I have been doing alot of reading on here and plenty of research... I have it narrowed down and am looking for some input? I am looking to upgrade shocks/struts, lowering springs, and also I am adding a pair of lower control arms. I have 94 GT conv, street car, only bolt on mods, basically a street car / weekends at the track

Whats the best match for shocks/ struts with lowering springs - does it matter?

I am thinking about KYB AGX shocks and struts so I have adjustable options / But the bilstein's are very appealing and I've heard great things

Lowering springs - I only want to drop to car an inch or so nothing dramatic - FRPP or Eibach Prokit is what im leaning towards

Any recommendations on the best combo's that match well together ?

Control Arms - after much research I believe I am shying away from rear upper control arms and am going with only the lowers from Maximum motorsports ( bushings look the best )

Your thoughts on a setup for my convertible ? THANKS

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I had a '94 Convertible similarly modded to your car back in the day.

I used KYB Gas-a-Just shocks (the white ones) from a foxbody along with Ford C springs. It was a great compromise between ride comfort and performance, and it's pretty cheap to boot! Combined with 18x9 and 18x10 wheels with wide tires and it was great! :)

Paul.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
joeylanz said:
I have been doing alot of reading on here and plenty of research... I have it narrowed down and am looking for some input? I am looking to upgrade shocks/struts, lowering springs, and also I am adding a pair of lower control arms. I have 94 GT conv, street car, only bolt on mods, basically a street car / weekends at the track

Whats the best match for shocks/ struts with lowering springs - does it matter?

I am thinking about KYB AGX shocks and struts so I have adjustable options / But the bilstein's are very appealing and I've heard great things

Lowering springs - I only want to drop to car an inch or so nothing dramatic - FRPP or Eibach Prokit is what im leaning towards

Any recommendations on the best combo's that match well together ?

Control Arms - after much research I believe I am shying away from rear upper control arms and am going with only the lowers from Maximum motorsports ( bushings look the best )

Your thoughts on a setup for my convertible ? THANKS

i personally love Maximum motorsports... persoanlly. :) id honestly call them and ask them a few questions... I spoke with Chris Phelps, and he helped me out ALOT! :)

OP
OP
J

joeylanz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions... I think Im going with KYB AGX;s with EIbach prokit lowering springs.

Steeda 3 bolt caster / camber plates

MM Rear Lower Control ARMs

Last thing I am unsure about is subframe connectors ? Convertible street car, do I need a full length package with torque box reinforcements ? Or would I be fine with standard length frame connectors ? I just want frame connectors that will weld up nicely, no cutting floor boards, or fabricating

Your advice on SFC's for my 94 convertible ? Thanks, Joe

mikey94gt

Reaction score
few pointers. Dont go lower than 1.5", it messes up the roll center of the front suspension, making it handle like A##!!!

The springs you mentioned are good, or you could also call Griggs, MM, Agent 47 and ask them for advise on spring/shock combos. they all race or modify mustangs for track use, so they should know what they are doing. many have kits that will make your car addicting to drive. Knowledge is power!!!!!!

Do sub frame connectors, as the frame in the convertible is seriously compromised. the MM full length weld in ones work wonders for pops, squeaks and rattles in the car. plus, you can jack up one corner and still open and close your door. They also double as jacking rails, saving the fragile sheet metal in your car!!!

The KYB shocks are a good way to go, I had an 88GT with them, and they work well. also take a look at the Koni offerings, there is a reason tons of race cars use them. Dont get the full race double adjustable ones, they are pretty stiff.

You are correct on the upper control arms, leave them stock, you dont need anything else. If you do upgrade, leave the axle bushing stock, as that is where you want the suspension to flex. all the axle hop happens on the lowers as they flex. nice tubular steel ones will help, and all you need there is Urethane bushings on both ends. make sure they have the sway bar tabs!!!!!!

Get a bumpsteer kit, as the geometry of the front steering system changes when you lower it.

The CC plates from MM are stronger than the Steeda ones, but you dont need the 4 bolt ones for a street car. 3 bolt is pretty strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online