? on Lowering spring isolators

JR98

Reaction score
O.k im gonna get some H&R SuperSport springs i have a 98 Mustang G.T Convertible if i would to put the back isolators in and in the front just put either the bottom or top isolators will that lower my car a little bit more i dont want to take off all isolators cause i know it will be to low for me. What do u guys think any help would be good cause im gonna put them on next week

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
With the HR and you being a convertible you may want to keep the isos...
How low do you want it?

The front isos can be taken out all together, top and bottom for like 1/4 to 1/2 inch more drop.

Keep the rear Iso's.

EastBayStang98

Reaction score
any one got pics of them out? i ask because i just put h&r springs in mine

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ive never heard of removing the spring isos for lowering purposes... i would think the ride would go to hell... ...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol, sorry... im new to the car world.... and im REALLY not into red-necking stuff....

in my book: lower the car = lowering springs + caster camber plates + shocks/struts + bushings/isos + sway bar end links + bump-stop + bushing lube . .. . . i dono, thats just the way i am... lol, def. didnt know about removing spring isos... id personally think it may make the spring move around a little more, send in more vibration, and create excess wear-and-tear and the control arms/springs....

but ..... ... . i dono. lol

hey... what rock have YOU been under??!?1? dont you see all my dumb questions all over the place.... i dono anything about cars... im just getting started! :p LOL.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
just a quick question, if you knew it was going to be too low why did you go with the lowest drop H&R offered? You can run poly isolators and that'll get rid of your smooshed stock ones, I would leave them all in unless you want to specifically lower the car more, then you can just wrap the ends of the spring with tape or rubber tube and you're good to go.

GDawg

Reaction score
Trust me... H&R Supersports will lower your convertible plenty. I not only kept mine in but I put in brand new urethane isolators in their place.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Im dropped on H&R Supersports with all front isos in(old smooshed stock ones though), and only the top isos on in the rear. KYB GR2's in the front and back. I would say def. keep the isos in place, even better, buy brand new ones.

I love my drop but since I daily my car in NYC I scrape the factory crossbrace like its going out of style. I'm pretty sure that it's polished itself perfectly clean by now.

GDawg, do you scrape that brace alot too? Just wondering...(Besides your car is like a role model to me lol)

Anyways here are a few pics...

dscn0225yo4.jpg

dscn0227sx0.jpg

dscn0229oh2.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
God H&R springs are too sexy ^_^ I think it's perfect how they tend to drop the front slightly more.

97GT4.6

Reaction score
Sorry to get a little off topic here, i don't want to create another thread though. If i take my iso's out, will it change my alignment angle enough to where it will wear the tires badly?

Mr Jones 4.6

Reaction score
Yes it will throw your alignment off some, enough to ruin tires quickly probably no. Cant be any worse then spring swapping and not getting an alignment.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you change your ride height I'd suggest an alignment. After I installed my lower control arms and x2 ball joints i chewed through my front tires in a season.

97GT4.6

Reaction score
alright, because my alignment was done in november, and they didn't do that good of a job.. and they didnt fix the play in the steering with the tie rod. i wanna lower it more the prokit just doesn't do it for me

Win

Legend
Reaction score
97GT4.6 said:
alright, because my alignment was done in november, and they didn't do that good of a job.. and they didnt fix the play in the steering with the tie rod. i wanna lower it more the prokit just doesn't do it for me

That play in your steering wheel could also be your Rag joint.

navarro98gt

Reaction score
H&R SS Springs with front top isos removed and poly isos in the rear.

after.jpg

stang.jpg

Scarface

Reaction score
I have Sportlines. Both rear Isos, no bottom front isos.

GDawg

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
I love my drop but since I daily my car in NYC I scrape the factory crossbrace like its going out of style. I'm pretty sure that it's polished itself perfectly clean by now.

GDawg, do you scrape that brace alot too? Just wondering...(Besides your car is like a role model to me lol)

You talking about the K member? Hell yeah I scrape that! I think it only sits about 3" above the ground now. When I used to drive between Las Vegas and Colorado, going through Utah at mile marker 91 I had to slow down to no more than 80mph or else this dip on the freeway would cause me to bottom out bad. I'm surprised I haven't ripped out my whole bottom end sometimes!

I love my H&R SS!

greenscobie86

Reaction score
^^^^^ Whew ok thank god! I knew I wasn't the only one lol.
I daily drive my car in NYC, sooo its pretty bad.

Actually yesterday I was getting an oil change and looked under my car... The brace is completely polished clean, with lots of deep gashes.

I would NEVER get rid of the drop though... I LOVE the way my car sits... I get nothing but compliments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online