MM Coil Overs, Without 4 Bolt CC plates?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
So is there a real reason why I couldnt use coil overs with my 3 bolt CC plates?

I understand the 4 bolt gives you more adjustability and is stronger but is there actually a good reason not to use coil overs with a 3 bolt cc plate?

red281gt

Reaction score
mainly its the stress that the struts will place on the tower with coil overs. With a 3-bolt plate there will normally overload the rear bolt and may bend the strut tower. Now 4-bolt mounting to the strut tower places the strut shaft inside the square formed by the four mounting bolts. This evenly distributes the suspension loads into the strut tower. With coil overs you need this since much more weight is placed on the strut tower. You dont want to run the risk of bending shit do ya?

GearGambler

Reaction score
^^ exactly!

the spring isnt under the k member anymore, its in the strut tower, so way more stress on the CC plates.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
red281gt said:
mainly its the stress that the struts will place on the tower with coil overs. With a 3-bolt plate there will normally overload the rear bolt and may bend the strut tower. Now 4-bolt mounting to the strut tower places the strut shaft inside the square formed by the four mounting bolts. This evenly distributes the suspension loads into the strut tower. With coil overs you need this since much more weight is placed on the strut tower. You dont want to run the risk of bending shit do ya?

if you aint afeared of shit bendin', you aint buildin' your car right! ;-D

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
red is right.
It puts way too much load on the inside bolts on a 3-bolt CCP.
plus you've got all the weight of the front suspension going into the CC plate with coilovers.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
ive been riding my suspension on 3 bolt cc plates for quite some time. still, its nice and tight. i may also add its been daily driven. the streets of baltimore and va beach arent the smoothest.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
xploder17s said:
ive been riding my suspension on 3 bolt cc plates for quite some time. still, its nice and tight. i may also add its been daily driven. the streets of baltimore and va beach arent the smoothest.

and you have coil overs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online