IRS on a 97 GT

drftrmike

Reaction score
Just a quick ? how hard would it be to swap a 03-04 cobra irs into a V6 soon to be a V8 im really into canyon carving and i know a irs setup is best for it

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
its a direct swap. find a 03/04 that craves track time, irs sucks in a straight line so they say..

most people with 03/04s will want to just swap straight up with you for a built sra (solid rear axle)

good luck

Scarface

Reaction score
ITs not a direct swap. I have done it 3 times now. You will need the IRS, Driveshaft yoke, IRS shocks, exhaust, exhaust hangers..etc. Its a nice list. THe hardest part of the swap is dropping the fule tank and drilling your through your trunck to accept the bolts for the Upper cradle mounts.

It a good swap once done, but dont expect to drop the old axel, and just swap in the new.

Im down to answer any questions, or verbally help any way I can.

dafizuck

Reaction score
The bolts will be a pain to do. I did the swap and havent gotten to the bolts yet.

Scarface

Reaction score
dafizuck said:
The bolts will be a pain to do. I did the swap and havent gotten to the bolts yet.
lol..yeah they are the worst part by far.

ThePope

Reaction score
Before buying one, look around to see if anyone will trade for a solid rear. I see theses trades all the time. I'm trying to find me a IRS myself.

Scarface

Reaction score
prolly around 800. I have had both IRS and SRA. IRS rides nice, but tends to have more issues unless you do the bushing asap.

dafizuck

Reaction score
I traded my sra for an 01 irs with poly bushings and diff brace for $280 (I gave him 280). I had nothing after market on my axle except for strange shocks and ford racing c springs. I love the way it handles, was worht it for me.

OP
OP
drftrmike

drftrmike

Reaction score
800 bucks is a very good price i have a sra out of a 03 gt but its stock and has 1700 miles on it so if i could find someone willing to trade that would be awesome

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
HIt the brakes everyone... Sn's are a narrower track width than New Edges. So even if it's not an issue with the IRS, I don't think they would want your solid axle.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
J.R. said:
HIt the brakes everyone... Sn's are a narrower track width than New Edges. So even if it's not an issue with the IRS, I don't think they would want your solid axle.

Actually Termi Onwers love taking advantage of a narrow rear end thus being able to run Wider tires.

dafizuck

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
J.R. said:

Actually Termi Onwers love taking advantage of a narrow rear end thus being able to run Wider tires.

Thats exactly why the guy with the 01 wanted mine... pushin serious hps you need some serious meats to get that power to the ground.

Scarface

Reaction score
I had a 98 SRA in my 99 cobra. I ran a 1 inch spacer on my 10.5 inch wheels to fill the difference.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Funny, all this talk about IRS and handling, yet the fastest mustangs are all still solid axle (GR40 and Agent47). I wanted to do the independent rear suspension myself at one point, and then after doing some research changed my mind about it. IRS, even when properly setup, just does not offer the traction that you would get from the torque arm equipped mustang, and people really underestimate the abilities of live axle to stay put. Take this from a guy who does this with his solid axle car.

vimis9.jpg

bf0u1f.jpg

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
The gr40 mustangs from griggs are absolutely badass. MM has good stuff to, but the GR40 series stuff is great for anyone wanting a good handling mustang. I'll take a SRA over a IRS

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Griggs builds the most bad ass suspension for Mustangs. The only problem with Griggs Racing stuff is that it's geared more towards serious competitors, and therefore costs an arm, a leg, and a kidney. Their full World Challenge suspension setup with SLA front end and Torque Arm/Watts Link rear end will set you back about 8k. Gotta pay to play I guess. The runner up in last year's Ultimate Track Car Challenge was a Mustang sporting a full Griggs suspension kit. If you ever wanna see the car, look up Ernesto Roco. He's a SoCal local, and I've seen him at the track a bunch of times.

OP
OP
drftrmike

drftrmike

Reaction score
yea i checked them out pretty sick i watched a video of there sn95 doing a hill climb pretty sick stuff but exspensive i think i will stick with mm there a tad cheaper i just ordered there kmember kit yesterday i want to beat my freinds evo the one i said is mine in your my boy blue in members rides he almost sold it to me to get the ten but said it was slower then his eight so he is keeping it so close so close so know i aim to beat him on mount baldy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online