Tie rod question... + Other suspension Q's

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Hello all!

Quick question for those who like to do their own suspension work...

THe inner tie rod on my 96GT vert has taken a dump.

Is this hard to change a tie rod at home by myself? I have air tools and just recently did shocks and springs on my car so I have no problem gettin' in there and gettin' dirty lol.

Any special tools I will need?
Should I buy a new dust boot for the steering rack or will I be able to salvage the old one?
Is it a good idea to get offset steering rack busings since im pretty low? Are they hard to install for the "at home" mechaninc?

Also my car is dropped on H&R Supersport's with stock CC plates. What are the chances of aligning it somewhat close to spec?

Thanks for your help in advance SN-95ers!

:icon_salut:

PIC 4 click

p1010116ee6.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
easy as cake to change out...

tools:
big hammer
PB Blaster
mexican socket set (a.k.a. universal creseant wrench)
a new kotter pin

new dust boot?:
if your current one is cracked or torn yes, otherwise, dont compensate the strength of the stock metal band for an aftermarket zip-tie or infierior metal band to replace a perfectly good part.

bushings: if you really want to.. there are 1000 articles out there that state that offset bushings dont work. I suggest you get maximum motorsports aluminum bushings (and read the install instructions, i didnt do that when i installed them.) or leave the stock ones.

bushings hard for at home mech?
the rack and pinion ones: no. 3 bolts. 2 on the front of the k-member and rack. 1 connecting the rack to the steering shaft. unbolt the stearing shaft (something like a 12mm bolt, and a lot of extensions.) then unbolt the front two bolts on the rack (use a 1/4" drive socket, or something like that, on the front of the bolt to hold it steady, and a cresant wrench on the nut.) then pull the steering rack forward. remove the power steering lines from the rack (cresant wrench) and remove the rack...

install is opposite of removal.

CC plates:
how far are you dropped? alot of people dont replace the CC plates when they lower the car... it is suggested after 1.5" drop to replace your CC plates and sway bar end links... i did... ive found many people on here didnt.

also, if you need a spare tie-rod end, let me know. i have 4 of them laying around...
you may also want to look into a bump-steer kit...

let me know if you need some more info or help :)

OP
OP
greenscobie86

greenscobie86

Reaction score
THANkS VERY MUCH!

Exactly what i was looking for...

The bump steer kit is kind of on the expensive side. So I dunno if I wanna do that.
Although since i am dropped approx. 2" i most likely need CC plates. So I guess I'll be spending money either way.

Thanks for the offer on the tie rods but I have a parts car with practically new ones I can pull off.
Looks like I have a little job to do next weekend, and then its off to get aligned.

OP
OP
greenscobie86

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I have lots of play in the inner tie rod, thats how i know mine was broke...

If you put the car up on jack stands and have someone hold one of the wheels while you jiggle the opposite wheel it will be pretty easy to tell which part of which tie rod is bad...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online