More drop

S.V.T

Reaction score
What can I do to drop my front more? It has Eibach Sport Springs and tokico Illumina Adjustable shocks.

Here is what she looks like
1998cobradsg001.jpg

And here is what I want
121w.jpg

Magic

Reaction score
pretty much 3 choices with the current springs you have

1.) remove the isolators

2.) if removing the isolators isnt enough, then start chopping coils...I recommend 1/4 of coil at a time, just in case it gets tooo low by removing full coils...

3.) remove/cut coils with the isolators reinstalled

or get some new springs that slam the car even more

or go coil overs up front...

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah you're not going to get the look of that black Cobra with your current springs unless you start cutting...

dutch

Reaction score
the cobra looks incredible, but I wouldn't want to drive that..

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
iirc that cobra have Coilovers, just get coilovers up front.

Dysfunction

Reaction score
Your car kinda sits how mine does, except mine is a little bit lower. I have only the top iso in the front and both in the back. Would getting new poly iso's in the back lift it up a little bit? Mines kinda raked... in the wrong direction..

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Unless that Cobra has air suspension, it would be basically undrivable. I would not recommend trying to go that low.

STR33TR

Reaction score
Paul said:
Unless that Cobra has air suspension, it would be basically undrivable. I would not recommend trying to go that low.

Would tire clearance (tire contacting the body) or ground clearance (body contacting ground) be the main reason it wouldn't work? I too am trying to get down this low. My plan involves 2" drop spindles for the front, j-shaped (adjustable) LCAs (for the rear, of course) and either cut stock springs or mild lowering springs.
The problem I think I have is that I dunno which dampers to use. Because of the drop spindles, the front struts won't be a big deal (I'm still gonna get good adjustable units, though). it's the rear that I'm concerned a/b. With the curved LCAs, I get 1" of "free" drop as far as the springs are concerned. Downside: the shock loses 1" of travel.
Any suggestions?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well, the over all design of our cars isnt very friendly to the whole slamming, tucking wheels type shit.

We dont have any fenders flares or anything

With your tire in the fender like that cobra your car would be basically riding around bottomed out, besides the fact that your k member/exhaust would probably be slamming on the ground

He may have coil overs and dropped his car to take pictures but I seriously doubt he drives around like that.

My car has sportlines, no isos up front with me and my friend in it it gets down pretty low as you can see

STR33TR

Reaction score
Ok,
This is the math that I've done. On a 25.5" tire, my fender lip is 28" (from the ground, of course) and the lowest parts under my car (cats and mufflers) have 5" of clearance. To find out the distance from the ground to the center of the wheel (hereafter referred to as the hub) I divide 25.5" by 2 and I get 12.75". That plus 2.5" (28"-25.5"=2.5") gives me 15.25" from the hub to the lip.
When I put the 2" drop spindles up front, that shortens the 15.25" to 13.25". I intend to mount a <24" tire on the front of the car, so that means I'll have 12" from ground-hub. 12"+13.25"=25.25" will be the new distance from the ground to the lip. Subtract 25.25" from 28" (the original lip height) and you get 2.75 of drop. Subtract that figure from the original 5" clearance (under the car) and I maintain 2.25" of ground clearance. Now, if I get o/r X pipe and slim profile muffs, then I might gain back .5" of ground clearance to bring my total to 2.75 inches. That's tight, but I think it'd still be streetable, wouldn't it? On top of the tire, I've got 1.25" from top-of-tire to fender lip. I'm going w/ a 195/45R17 on a 6" wide wheel (up front) so my treadwith is just 7". This should give me good clearance inside the fender, eh? Out back I'm doing 275s on a 17x10 wheel, so clearance for >2" of drop should be fine there, too.
I have to get this low since I'm going wingless/skirtless! <2" drop looks like @$$ w/o skirts (IMO).

Again, my main question is:
Does anyone know what shocks would survive this severe a drop in the rear? Any suggestions?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
a decent shock for a fox body mustang should handle it...

I would try some bilstein shocks for a fox body...they should be fine since theyre already an inch shorter

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Paul said:

I would have to agree with Paul on this one.

GT

STR33TR

Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
Paul said:

I would have to agree with Paul on this one.

GT

Well, give me a few months (or a few thousand$... whichever) and I'll let you know!

STR33TR

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
a decent shock for a fox body mustang should handle it...

I would try some bilstein shocks for a fox body...they should be fine since theyre already an inch shorter

Thanx, that moves me past the first hurdle.
I s/w the guy that I bought the car from. He said that he had a 315 tire on 18" rim out back and -just for kicks, one day- took the shox/springs off. He said that the tire didn't contact anything with the car completely bottomed out. Is this possible, or is he full of sh!t?
If it's possible then that just leaves me with the task of getting the lowest profile exhaust system possible so that I can get the car down where I want it.

STR33TR

Reaction score
Someone mentioned the k-member scraping...
I know that an aftermarket k -usually- gives more clearance for headers, how 'bout ground clearance?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online