Steering Noise and Problems

kyle94gt

Reaction score
so once again i'm about to be so frustrated i can just start randomly firing bullets anywhere. :BangHead: i've got a super bad "wandering" problem or "tramlining" as some would call it. the car just pulls back and forth to the left and right depending on the road and conditions. I have replaced struts, springs (bbk), ball joints, wheel bearings, end links, sway bar bushings, C&C Plates, offset rack bushings, and i've had it aligned twice by a very reputable place down here and each time its the same. It also, when turning hard left, like making a u-turn quick or something like that, makes a bad sounding grinding and popping noise. only when turning left though. What the HELL could it be? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
What did they set the caster angle to? MM recommends about 4.5* for the street. This will help bring the trammeling under control. You might have a ball joint poping.

GT

OP
OP
K

kyle94gt

Reaction score
i'm not sure exactly what it's set at but I will find out. i didn't go into any details with them. i'll check them. as for the ball joint that may be the case as i think i replaced that side first but it was only about a year ago i did it. i dunno

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
worn tie rod ends can cause the trameling. looks like you replaced everything but the tie rods. and wide tires can cause it too

OP
OP
K

kyle94gt

Reaction score
that's another thing i replace i had forgetten to put in there i knew it was something. i did tie rods and tie rod ends. pretty much everything except the rack and the a arm bushings. and i have 245/45 zr17's up front on 03 cobras.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i got a perfectly working steering rack... $20.00 + shipping

anyways, i would change the rack bushings to the MM aluminum ones. the offsets cause more problems than they fix, i dont think they are causing that your problem, but keep an eye on them.

also i have BBK springs as well, and MM CC plates, i had mine aligned to MM's specs that they show on their CC plate install sheet (available off their website.)

make sure your Rack is on tight... i had the same problem and my rack wasnt on tight... also, your rack might be binding on the interior, (tahts what mine was doing) this problem is caused by the bolts being too tight, too lose, and worn bushings. I also suggest checking the rag joint (stock steering shaft) and make sure nothing is touching the tires at full-wheel turn.

OP
OP
K

kyle94gt

Reaction score
I plan on checking everything over tomorrow *friday* as today is my last day at work before the weekend. gotta love the 4 day work week. thanks guys. btw PM me on that steering rack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online