Tire Sticky Thread. Everyone POST!!!

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys I am thinking it would be a good idea to have a Thread that everyone can post the tires they run and have run in the past and write there own review on them. We should keep all the chatter out as so people can just go through and read our true real Descriptions of the tires.

Car :
Rear End:
5sp or Auto:
Wheel Size:
Tire Size:
Tire Make:

Keep all the Chit chat to PM please to keep this as a Reference only. If you have run more then one tire on the same wheel just add to it.

ReplicaR said:
1. Post every tire you've used in the past on the car you currently own. It will give us an idea of where you're coming from when you say that the tire you are using right now sticks like bubble gum, and last one sucked.

2. Be specific about how you drive the car. A tire that has awesome compound but weak sidewalls may be good for drag racing, but will not be adequate for cornering. Be more thorough when you describe the tires. Everything is important, starting from how they act on the street to what they do when they are loaded up into the corner, to how the straight line traction is.

3. List the exact tire you have.
I'll start with what i have run in the past.

I Naturally drive very Spirited.

1995 GT
Stock 2.73
Auto
17x8 Tri Bars
245/45/17
Toyo Proxes FZ4's

They wore way to Quickly. Handled great but the tread Life was too short.

Falken Ziek 512
255/40/17 (front)
275/40/17 (rear)

They handled great in the dry and wet but the 275/40/17 in the rear just proved way to big to get a nice Contact Patch on the pavement to last a reasonable amount of time.

1994 GT
Stock 3.08
5sp
245/45/17

Bridgestone Potenza RE750

They wore great lasted about 40,000 miles and wore even without any rotating what so ever. Great all around tire with great grip in the dry and Wet. Very good grip cold and especially Hot. The sidewalls are pretty stiff and feel very study when your corner Carving. You can load them up and then get a good start off the line and they will grip and want more.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101

They wore very even very soft compound and lasted about 25,000 miles. Gripped great in wet and dry. They had an amazing grip when Hot i couldn't even get the tires to break loose in the 1st -2nd shift. Handled great in the corners felt very responsive when your pushing the car to the limit. Felt like i had control at all times. As long as you don't dump the clutch they will grip and will want more.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Proposed Tire Sticky Thread.

I'll try!

1995 GT Conv
Stock 3.27
Auto
Chrome 03's
275/40-17
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW Trad Tread

I am not good @ describing them. I only buy BFG's, so I got these. They perform very good on wet roads! That's what they are for. My car is kinda loud, convertible, so I have no idea about road noise. I've had these on for 6572 miles. I just had them rotated. I never spin a tire, though. Can't afford to peel out.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

97 Cobra 3:73's
BF Goodrich G-force 245/45/ZR17's
Good tire, a little bit on the loud side. 34k miles on them, down to the wear bars a on 3, cord on one due to worn struts.

Getting new Goodyear Eagles on Monday 4/27/09

ReplicaR

Reaction score

While this may be a good idea, in reality this is only as good as people's opinions. Not one person here tests the tires and collects data on them. Some people go from snow or cheap tires to Nitto 555s and think they are end all tire for the rest of the time. Very little valid information. I'd personally trust more to the magazines like Grassroots Motorsports or Tire Rack tests, before I'd take anyone's opinion off the board.

Having said that, there is a possible way to make this less of a personal experience and more of a neutral unbiased source of information. Here are the changes I'd like to see made.

1. Post every tire you've used in the past on the car you currently own. It will give us an idea of where you're coming from when you say that the tire you are using right now sticks like bubble gum, and last one sucked.

2. Be specific about how you drive the car. A tire that has awesome compound but weak sidewalls may be good for drag racing, but will not be adequate for cornering. Be more thorough when you describe the tires. Everything is important, starting from how they act on the street to what they do when they are loaded up into the corner, to how the straight line traction is.

3. List the exact tire you have. Bridgestone has 29 compounds named Potenza. Which is it, will be hard to tell.

Lets make this a little more organized, and once we get more info, I'll make it a sticky.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

'95 GT
5 speed
18x8.5
295/35-18
BFG KDW new tread pattern

I don't dump the clutch like a high school kid, I take corners at the apex [traffic permitting] I weave around cars on the interstate and such.. so i basically drive the sh*t out of my 'stang

These tires are the best i've ever owned. Nice medium/firm compound [300 treadwear rating] Good wet weather traction, holds the road well when pushed hard around corners, I would recommend them to anyone... as for mileage, i have 25,000 or so miles on them and I have used about 60% of the tread.

previous tires:

sumitomo htr-z 315/35-17 F*CK these... lasted a month LOL

ReplicaR

Reaction score

I'll share some information as well I guess.

Car : 94 Mustang GT
Rear End: 3.08
5sp or Auto: 5 Speed
Wheel Size: 17x9
Tire Size: 275/40R17
Tire Make: Avon Tech M500
Straight line traction is fairly good due to soft sidewalls, and decent compound. The car tracks pretty good, and in wet there is no drama either with great traction. Corner traction is very good as well. Tire warms up quick, and remains sticky for a while under the hardest of conditions (road race sessions). Steering response is moderate to slow due to weak sidewalls. A little extra tire pressure helps the situation, but not much. Tire wear is decent to slow, but it does chunk under hard use (road race sessions). Comfort is excellent.

Tire Make: Sumitomo HTR ZIII
Straight line traction is decent, but nothing to be bragging about. Compound is fairly hard, so it can't stick as well as I hoped a Maximum Performance Summer category tire would. We traction is not great. Car does not hydroplane, but it's always on the edge, which is closer than I'd like it to be on the highway. Corner traction is medium to low. Tires heat up very quickly, and overheat just as fast. They chunk throughout the whole tire as well. Steering response is moderate to quick, because of sidewall stiffness. Tire wear is excellent for what I use it for. After 23k miles, and 10 track days the tires are down to 4/32 tread depth, and still have a few sessions left in them. They do wear quicker in the center of the tire, rather than the edges, so that's something to look out for. Comfort is ok.

Tire Make: Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial
Straight line traction is unbelievable. Once the tires are warmed up, they just hook and go, without any slip at all. Wet traction is just not there. I would highly advise against driving these on the street when it's wet out. Corner traction could be excellent too, if the tire pressure is right. No steering response notes. Tire wear is poor, but what else would you expect from a class drag radial. No notes on comfort.

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score

94 GT
5 sp
17x8
255/45/17
Hankook Ventus Sport K104
Well after a 600 mile trip and numerous days of going back and forth to work i can safely say that i am very impressed with these tires. Off the line they grip great. They do have a little bit of a softer sidewall but they make for a very nice ride. i had no problem on the 600 mile trip in the random tstorms and downpours on the way up to my new house. The tires want to grab and go when you shift gears you will get a chirp out of them but i haven't been able to roll the tires going into 2nd yet. The tire wear seems to be pretty even. I have mine set @ 30psi all the way around. I would recommend these tires for anyone wanting a good street tire for a very very reasonable price.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score

96 gt
5 speed
18 x 9.5 cobra R
bfgoodrich kdw 2 275/45/18 for the short amount of time i had them on the rear they hooked in a straight line. i was impressed when i gave it some go on dry turns that i didnt lose traction. in wet turning conditions i have broke loose and scared myself. i definitely recommend for dry climate areas only. i kept them @ 32 psi all around.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

xploder17s said:
bfgoodrich kdw 2 275/45/18 : In wet turning conditions i have broke loose and scared myself. i definately recommend for dry climate areas only. i kept them @ 32 psi all around.

Really? I haven't had any issues with mine. Mine are on the rear only though.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Well Ill do a quick statement of my tires on my past 91 LX 5.0 stang but cant really compare them to my current.
Previous tires were bfg kds (decent tires all around)
Michelin pilot sports, the pilot sports were great tires and hooked up awesome for a nearly stock 5.0.

Rear End: 3.55
Wheel Size: 18x9
Tire Size: 265/35/18
Tire Make: Avon ZZ3
Wet roads they were pretty good, I felt confident driving fairly hard with them. Under hard driving on dry roads (shifting hard 1st-3rd) I would spin into 3rd gear, they were not as soft and grippy as I hoped. They handled well overall. Fairly quiet. Tread life was good for being on a mustang that I generally drive easy but once and a while I give the tires a good workout.

Rear End: 3.55
Wheel Size: 18x9
Tire Size: 265/35/18
Tire Make: BFG GFORCE KD
Best tires I have had. These days I pretty much only drive my car in the summer, on nice days so I went with the KDs vs the KDWs. In the wet they are decent, I dont feel super confident driving hard in turns or shifting hard thru the gears on wet roads, well they are made for dry conditions so I couldnt expect much. On dry roads they are awesome, they pick up and grip in 2nd gear vs my old tires that spun into 3rd. They handle awesome and have little to no noise. They look great, feel great. Tread life seems pretty decent, they have been on for about 12,000 miles and I have done a few good smokies with them and I give them a good run for their money at least once per drive. I say that they have about another 12,000 miles in them.
I would defiantly buy the KDs again.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: Proposed Tire Sticky Thread. Everyone POST!!!

Car : 98 Mustang GT 'vert
Rear End: 4.10
5sp or Auto: 5 spd.
Wheel Size: 17x9 front/17x10.5 rear
Tire Size: 245/45/17 front-315/35/17 rear
Tire Make: BFG KDWIIs front/Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas rear

I have 2 different types of tires on my car so it's alittle difficult for me to give a proper evaluation of their performance. They do work well together, I guess. Wet traction is actually very good for the wide Vredesteins and the BFGs. I haven't really pushed the cornering due to my 170k mile suspension. Straight line traction is pretty decent and would probably be alot better if my suspension wasn't so tired.
I previously ran Sumitomo HTRZs (they were on the car when I got it).

The Vredestein's are an asymmetrical tire that are designed with a soft compound but sturdy sidewalls and have a decent tread wear rating (300). The fact that I increased my rear tire width also helps my handling because I have improved my scrub radius.

All in all, both the tire makes I have stick well, stop well and handle great for everyday driving.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

yokohoma 520s

225/45/16s

snow performance: B
dry performance: B+
wet performance: B-
road noise: D

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score

96 gt
5 speed
17x9 03 cobras
275/40/17s continental xtremes
they were cheap used and after 1 track day, my numerous romps they still look the same. i do not like the thin sidewalls but are grippy. i do not like wet conditions in them at all. tires spin a little on the dry areas they are decent. id rather have the Gforce sports or KDWs again.

Spooling2Valve

Reaction score

96 gt
5 speed
3.27 rear gears
17x9/10.5 black fr500 wheels
275/40/17 hankook ventus-315/35/17 nitto 555r drag radials

i drive pretty casual with the occasional spirited driving. this car often cruises on road trips seeing a good bit of miles.

the hankook tires up front were pretty decent, quiet and the treadwear was pretty good. no complaints. first set suffered inner tread wear from camber issues, now running a second set.

the nittos were very pleasing, offering nice traction and were very safe in rainy weather. it was the only tire i have had on the car that would not kick out at all when floored in first in wet roads-although thats not reccommended lol. i actually put about 15,000 miles on the tires before they were bald. i would buy another set.

96 gt
5 speed
3.27 ratio
315/35/17 sumitomo tires on 17x10.5 fr500's

when the nittos were bald, i looked for a street tire for a little more longetivity in tread wear and these were cheap enough to try out. they are very noisy, my nitto dr's were way more quiet and traction is limited. for a budget buyer, these will be ok, but if u have the money, look for another tire.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Car : 96 Mustang GT
Rear End: 373
5sp or Auto: 5 spd.
Wheel Size: 18x9 front/18x10 rear
Tire Size: 245/40/18 front -295/35/18 rear
Tire Make: Nitto 555R

These are the best tires I've driven on. the "R" gives you some wet weather traction over the 555's
Before these I had some Pirelli's... these are a better tire.

PI heads, stock auto - I could brake stand burn out the Pirelli's. same size. the Nitto's would hold, couldn't brake stand them.

They're quite, which I like! handling is very good. They have a strong side wall, traction and cornering are vastly improved. Now that I have a turbo on the car, I've got to experience their traction with more powa. burn out/launch, they spin some and keep moving forward. breaks loose in second and chirp in third. Tread life has been good, however this is not my daily driver.
I know there are tires out there that are stickier, but for my application, dry/some wet weather & street driving I highly recommend them.

(no go in the snow)

OP
OP
W

Win

Legend
Reaction score

Time to bump this to the top Come on guys post here

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

Car : 1998 V6
Rear End: stock 2.73 open differential
5sp or Auto: 4R70W Auto
Wheel Size: 15x7
Tire Size: 235/60/R15
Tire Make: BFgoodrich Radial T/A

nice muscle car looking tread design, great in the rain when new. best tire i could hope for with these 15x7 wheels. i originally thought these tires folded over alot in cornering because of the tall sidewall, but after seeing pictures of my car turning they do not seem to fold much which is surprising

greenscobie86

Reaction score

Car: 1996 Cobra Convertible
Rear End: 3.27
5sp or Auto: 5 speed
Wheel Size: F: 17x9 R: 17x10.5
Tire Size: F: 275/40/17 R: 315/35/17
Tire Make: F: Falken Zeix ZE512 R: BF Goodrich Traction T/A KD

The Falkens were a great tire. I say were because they are near the end of their life. Held up wonderfully in the rain/sleet on my GT. I just purchased a set of ZE502's to replace them, I am hoping for similar performance. Overall I'm happy with these tires.

The BF's out back are definitely a summer tire only. They hook quite well in the summer, but if its cold out BE CAREFUL LOL... I like these because they are "fatter" than Nittos/Sumi's, so they fill up the fenders better.
Not much else to say about the except, after 3 years and only about 3 burnouts + 20K miles they still look practically new!

mustangmike98gt

Reaction score

Car : 2000 gt
Rear End: 3:73
5sp or Auto: 5 spd
Tire Size: 275x40x17
Tire Make: m/t et streets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010