Which backspacing for flush look

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
I bought this 95 GT and it came with the most ridiculous looking rims, as a matter of a fact the car is sitting in my garage because I dont want to be seen with the ricer rims. Well I just picked up a set of 99 cobra rims ( the silver ones ) for $125 ( Home Run ). I am taking these to discount tire tomorrow to have the tires swapped over to cobra's. My tires are 245/45's and brand spanking new, i would have went for 275's otherwise. What i am wondering is what size spacers will i need to make these cobra rims sit flush with the rear fenders? I am assuming at least 1 inch?

forgot to mention the specs on the 99 cobra wheels are below.

1999 MUSTANG COBRA WHEEL

Fits 1994-04 5-lug, 4.5" bolt circle 5.72" backspacing 30 mm offset 17" x 8"

Any input is appreciated.

Finally get to drive my car and not look like a ricer. :headbang:

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Here's how dumb I am.

Almost typed, sounds like you need to buy my old rims. I re-read your post as I always do before I submit my post, sounded kinda familiar. I was fixing to click when I remembered I was PM'ing with you about this very thing! @ least I caught it, I guess.

Magic

Reaction score
A 1 inch spacer should bring that wheel outwards to give it the proper look in the wheel well. It wont exactly be flush with the 1/4, but very close enough.

I would go with the Eibach hubcentric wheel spacers, if you havent bought a set already.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
Magic said:
A 1 inch spacer should bring that wheel outwards to give it the proper look in the wheel well. It wont exactly be flush with the 1/4, but very close enough.

I would go with the Eibach hubcentric wheel spacers, if you havent bought a set already.
I have not bought the spacers yet. I will look into these, thanks

ProKiller

Reaction score
i doubt you'll be able to put 275s on a 8" rim.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
First of all, you are thinking offset not back spacing. Offset is where the wheel centers on the axle, back spacing is how much clearance you've got from the mounting point to the back of the spoke. I'd do a 1 inch bolt on spacer. H&R sells nice ones, I used them with stock GT wheels, sold it to someone who now uses them on a track car. This should vouch for how well they do.

ProKiller said:

Why wouldn't he? When I bought 99 GT wheels for my car, they came with 275s mounted. They were bulging but they were not coming off the bead.

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
First of all, you are thinking offset not back spacing. Offset is where the wheel centers on the axle, back spacing is how much clearance you've got from the mounting point to the back of the spoke. I'd do a 1 inch bolt on spacer. H&R sells nice ones, I used them with stock GT wheels, sold it to someone who now uses them on a track car. This should vouch for how well they do.

ProKiller said:

Why wouldn't he? When I bought 99 GT wheels for my car, they came with 275s mounted. They were bulging but they were not coming off the bead.

Thanks for the clarification.

275/40 will fit a 8" rim, but they bulge a little. I kinda like the look.

These rims are only temporary until I can afford to get the car up and running like a champ and save money to get either 18" 00r's or saleens. Either way they look better than the ricer rims it came with.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
yes a 1" spacer will work perfect that's what i am going to be getting soon to make mine come out a little more. I have the 01 Polished i got them for a whopping 190 :).

You really don't want to put a 275 on it. They just don't wear very good. I went through a pair of tires in 12,000 miles when i had them mounted on my tri bars. They look good don't get me wrong but they just don't belong. I went with a 255/45 on mine just a few days ago.

Here is the 01 in polished.

New%20pics%207.JPG

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
back up your car onto a 4 x 4 on one side.
measure the space between the tire, and the inside of the rear fender.

that's how much space you have to work with. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
N

Ninety5_5Ohh

Reaction score
95convgt said:
yes a 1" spacer will work perfect that's what i am going to be getting soon to make mine come out a little more. I have the 01 Polished i got them for a whopping 190 :).

You really don't want to put a 275 on it. They just don't wear very good. I went through a pair of tires in 12,000 miles when i had them mounted on my tri bars. They look good don't get me wrong but they just don't belong. I went with a 255/45 on mine just a few days ago.

Here is the 01 in polished.

New%20pics%207.JPG
Do you have a shot of your car from the back?

I picked up these silver 99 cobra rims for 125.00

They look alright but the polished would have looked better. Im thinking about stripping the paint and polishing them. I have heard its pretty easy, just takes a lot of time.

GDawg

Reaction score
I've got 1" spacers on the back of my car. I didn't want to go any bigger for fear of rubbing my fenders.

PICT0069.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
is it true spacers eat away at bearings?

The only thing that might destroy the bearing is poor balancing. A bolt on spacer should be pretty much perfectly balanced on the axle, so it should not create any problems.

blackpony

Reaction score
im running a 1 inch spacer with my 9 inch rims and they sit perfectly....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online