Rear sway bar broke...

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Just snapped right by the right rear control arm...apparently these are prone to break easily (like many other stock ford parts).

Not sure if its from rust or if I hit it on something, but thats beside the point...I need to replace it.

Is an eibach anti-roll kit worth the upgrade? Or should I just go to a junkyard and get another stock swaybar?

Anyone have experience with the eibach kit?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-swaybar-94-04-mustang.html

The MM rear swaybar looks sick...I know stangsuspension isn't selling these I'm just using their site for reference

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1051

How about steeda?

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1130

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=62

Give me some guidance friends...and please, only give your input if you personally have experience with one of these products or another you may suggest, thanks.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ours are hollow so it happens. The stock Cobra is solid and a good upgrade. They used to cost @ $100 new but not sure now. MM etc are similar to the stock Cobra part.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you plan on going for coil-overs, just get a stock OEM replacement, or maybe even the cobra upgrade.

if you plan on staying wiht sprin-on-control-arm style suspension, get the eibach kit.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I think I'll go with the stock cobra replacement...the others are just too expensive to be justifiable. My car isn't going to be an auto-x car...so I don't think an MM rear sway bar is necessary.

I have GMS LCA's and H&R Supersports...most likely wont be upgrading to coilovers anytime in the near future, so I'll stick with the cobra swaybar.

Thanks guys.

98saleen88

Reaction score
the fox body had a steeda rear sway that snapped on me, everyone was shock when i told them this..but steeda replaced it for free...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I snapped mine at the Streets of Willow. I just went to a junk yard and bought another one for 12 dollars. When that will break, I'll go buy another one, if I don't replace it with adjustable bar by then.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mine never broke, but i knew it would.

I bought a steeda adjustable and an OEM 98 Cobra Bar of CL....

SteedaBarCarSmall.jpg

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
98saleen88 said:
the fox body had a steeda rear sway that snapped on me, everyone was shock when i told them this..but steeda replaced it for free...

i dont beleive that for a second.... im gunna need pictures of recipts and shipping information or something...

sorry, but thats harder to beleive than .... well... alot of things. lol.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Mine never broke, but i knew it would.

I bought a steeda adjustable and an OEM 98 Cobra Bar of CL....

SteedaBarCarSmall.jpg
Did you notice a difference in the upgrade? I'm thinking I might as well upgrade while im at it...to avoid future problems.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
JonBeast said:
Did you notice a difference in the upgrade? I'm thinking I might as well upgrade while im at it...to avoid future problems.

in which upgrade? The cobra Bar? The Steeda Bar? or both?....

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
JonBeast said:

in which upgrade? The cobra Bar? The Steeda Bar? or both?....
Both, because I'm assuming you did both at the same time?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
JonBeast said:
Both, because I'm assuming you did both at the same time?

actually i did both separately

I had a ST Sway bar+Stock LCAs and that was good...better than stock.

Then i got MM LCAs and the ST Sway Bar doesnt work with MM LCAs so i bought a 98 Cobra Sway bar....that felt amazing

Then i added the Steeda piece and have been very happy since.

OP
OP
J

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I have GMS U/L CAs...they have the same swaybar bolt on setup as stock control arms...I'm thinking of going with a stock cobra swaybar...Javi said something about making sure its from a 98 cobra?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
JonBeast said:
I have GMS U/L CAs...they have the same swaybar bolt on setup as stock control arms...I'm thinking of going with a stock cobra swaybar...Javi said something about making sure its from a 98 cobra?

yeah so it's a 27 mm bar not the 24 like a GT

98saleen88

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
98saleen88 said:

i dont beleive that for a second.... im gunna need pictures of recipts and shipping information or something...

sorry, but thats harder to beleive than .... well... alot of things. lol.

yup snapped right off where the weld was for the 2 bolt mounts..and it hung for about 1/2 a mile until someone told me i had something hanging underneath my car...i didnt take any pictures of it, but i called steeda right after and i had to ship that one back, they said it might have just been a poor weld....and it was the heavier duty blue one...cant make stuff like that up...btw steeda customer service is very hmmm....bad

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
JonBeast said:

Sorry i should of have being more specific about the Cobra sway bar, the one for the 98 is thicker than any other GT or Cobra from previous years,look here about halfway down the page: http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/sway2.htm

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
on my 96 the heavy duty blue steeda sway bar broke after i installed the steeda adjustable. i have that on with the upr street/strip lower control arms. i talked to [email protected] personally on the phone. the dealership i bought the parts from told me to give him a call. in 3 hours i sent them picture messages of what was broke and there engineering department sighted the welds also were the culprit. before a week was over i had another sway bar and only had to pay 25$ for a freight Fee. stuff breaks and we replace it. :icon_salut: my suspension will be done. it will be a nice road race project. next is the blown and nitroused motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online