Spring Install

WarHorse

Reaction score
From 1-10 how hard is this?

Im a novice at this kinda stuff but dont feel right taking it to someone to put it on for me. Its my project and want to do the work myself.

Any info, hints or tips are appreciated.
Raul D. Martinez

riored96gt

Reaction score
Not so much hard as it is tricky.
Rears are cake.
Fronts can be a bitch.
Spring compressors get in the way.

I have a 6' long 1" dia. V-drive shaft from a ski boat that I use to lever in the front spring...

I leave the A-arm bolted to the chassis, undo the strut with floor jack under it. I tie a good sized rope on the old spring and work it out. Then put the spring bottom in and lever in the top while jacking up the A-arm to reattach the strut. Use the rope again so the spring won't fly out.

Takes about 1 hour per side or so.

SableGT

Reaction score
I did it without a spring compressor and it took me 2 hours to do the front and about 1.5 hours for the rears. Once I had the front control arm down I carefully pried the bottom of the spring to the underside of the car. It did not shoot out I went very slow and careful.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have changed springs and struts about 8 times now, ima say from 1-10 is a 4 very easy.

Ive never use a spring compressor, just place the jack under the arm and slowly release the pressure, you can use a pry bar to put in bettwen the spring just to make sure the spring dont pops out.

Ive never have had a spring fly out. :eek:ccasion14:

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
it depends, front or rear, i can do my rears on my car in about 20 min for the pair... fronts are al ittle trickier

95blackstang

Reaction score
you dont need spring compressors if your take your time and are careful its easy im pretty sure my lil sis could do it.. if you need to pm me and ill take a camera and make you a little how to guide, just let me know!! ill be glad to help

95gtdrop

Reaction score
Id like the step by step guide. I will be putting in new springs shocks/struts and lower control ARms with cc plates pretty soon.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Not hard at all. Unless you are doing drag springs, but then you just need to know the little trick and those arent to bad either.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Theyre cake as long as you have the tools, and a couple jacks and jackstands.

95blackstang

Reaction score
95gtdrop said:
Id like the step by step guide. I will be putting in new springs shocks/struts and lower control ARms with cc plates pretty soon.
I will break out my camera tomorrow and make a step by step for all who wants it

OP
OP
W

WarHorse

Reaction score
94 DropTop "Not hard at all. Unless you are doing drag springs, but then you just need to know the little trick and those arent to bad either."

Yes im doing the Eibach Drag Kit, whats the trick to these?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
ive taken the steeda drag springs out several times, the only trick i knwo of is to do one side at a time and not both

SPF0percent

Reaction score
i would like the step by step also iam installing new shocks, struts and spring this weekend

OP
OP
W

WarHorse

Reaction score
+1, if anyone knows of a writeup, or has a write up, i would really appreciate it if it were posted up.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
one thing that needs to be said is you need to make sure when useing a compressor is that teh spring is compressed evenly!!! If it starts to twist to one side, it can come out and either damage the spring, the compressor the car or even hurt you

ryclef331

Reaction score
I install all springs (drag especially) by leaving the strut and a-arms connected. Under the arm from the k-member. The strut moves and the ball joint will let the arm droop ALOT more and the springs will fall out and set right in. You gotta make sure the jack is under the arm so it can't slip off. Jack it up and move the jack to manipulate the arm back into place. Its WAY easier to do it this way than the other IMO.

riored96gt

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
I install all springs (drag especially) by leaving the strut and a-arms connected. Under the arm from the k-member. The strut moves and the ball joint will let the arm droop ALOT more and the springs will fall out and set right in. You gotta make sure the jack is under the arm so it can't slip off. Jack it up and move the jack to manipulate the arm back into place. Its WAY easier to do it this way than the other IMO.

Having tried both ways, I agree totally!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online