Front control arm bushings

FASTANG

Reaction score
I have a clunking noise in the front end, mainly on the passenger side, and everything I can physically see
looks fine after removing the wheels and heavily inspecting three different times. After lengthy searching
through the archives here, I have narrowed it down to a worn hub, or the front control arm bushings
are shot. Is there any way to check the bushings w/o having to remove the spring and take the arm off?

Thanks,

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
grab the A-Arm and physically move it to see if there is play.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
the knuckles on the tie rods have a tendacy to make noises when the boots are town exposing the joints also.

OP
OP
F

FASTANG

Reaction score
After looking into this again, I noticed that it only makes the noise when the suspension
is not loaded (not having a passenger in the car). The coil spring and sway bar are not
broken, all bolts and nuts are tight, the control arm bushing visually look OK with them
not being removed, and I greased the ball joints, but the problem is still there.
Also, the shock has no oil leak on it to visually show it's the problem.

Any other things for me to check out?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The way you check for bad control arm bushings is having someone stand outside, while you creep past them, and apply the brakes firmly several times. If the wheel moves around a lot, chances are you will have to do the control arm bushings, or buy new control arms.

OP
OP
F

FASTANG

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
The way you check for bad control arm bushings is having someone stand outside, while you creep past them, and apply the brakes firmly several times. If the wheel moves around a lot, chances are you will have to do the control arm bushings, or buy new control arms.

All that I can say to this so far is, the control arm is tight when I try to move it and it does not happen when the brake is being applied. I'll look into it whwen I have free time and report back. Anyone else?

OP
OP
F

FASTANG

Reaction score
white95 said:
Win the lottery and split it with us? :)
If that happens, then I'll just order the Maximum Motorsprots catalog... that should take care of the noise. HE HE HE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online