Front Drag Lites wont fit!!!

Kris

Reaction score
I bought this full set of drag lites from a friend. He told me that he had used the rear rims before, and they fit (different tires, but that's of no matter). I figured the fronts would fit my car, since he had an SN95, but I wasn't aware that he never test fitted them.

This brings me to the problem.

First off, I'll state that I will not get longer studs. Don't have the money, or patience to replace them all. Basically, I'm leaving myself one, ugly, option.

Wheel spacers =(

I bought a set of 5/16 spacers, flat metal ones. The backs fit fine, no spacers at all. The front with those spacers, still hit hard on the caliper. So, I doubled them up just to see. I used both 5/16 spacers, so now it's a 5/8 spacer, and it clears the caliper just fine. I have maybe 1/8 of an inch clearance, maybe a tad more.

Now, that being said, the wheel stick out a bit. As you can see in the pics, it's not bad at all, and I can live with it.

My main concern is; the wheel studs. I was told you are not suppose to use wheel spacers with these type of rims. Also, my next concern is; I can't tell if the wheel is actually tight, and that the lugs aren't going to bottom out of anything so they won't tighten up.

My uncle has a bunch of other spacers I can use. 1/2" flat metal, 3/4" studded, and 1" studded. I think the 3/4 and 1 will be too much, and the wheel will stick WAYYY out. But, the 1/2" might be perfect. On the flipside, the 1/2" is a flat spacer, and isn't studded.

Sooo, I'm now confused haha. Any suggestions?

draglites001.jpg

draglites002.jpg

Also, 15x3.5 only come with a 1.75" offset.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
ok please please please do a search b4 posting... i know ive posted this at LEAST 10 times .... here goes
1) are you going to be running this car at the track???? if yes you NEED LONGER STUDS
2) up front you CAN NOT run a flat spacer if your going to race, you need a hub centric ... see the picture...
3) picture...
MMWS-4.jpg

4) it doesnt take long to do studs, also with with being on hte road please use your head, if there isnt much holding on the wheel as far as threads please dont drive it, you make it unsafe for people who are around you, with you, or racing next to you.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Im runing a normal spacer with stock studs, and i have been perfectly fine. You could go with a smaller spacer and grind the caliper a bit.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
Im runing a normal spacer with stock studs, and i have been perfectly fine. You could go with a smaller spacer and grind the caliper a bit.

Music to my ears.

I plan on running a 1/2" spacer. it should be perfect, if not I can grind the caliper a tad.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
NHRA and Ihra track evens say if you are running a spacer it MUST be hub centric not Lug centric... just dont want you showing up to an even and get booted for something stupid like that

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
NHRA and Ihra track evens say if you are running a spacer it MUST be hub centric not Lug centric... just dont want you showing up to an even and get booted for something stupid like that

Yea, good poiont.

I only test n tune, at Milan Dragway in MI. Its a pretty small place so Ill just go untill they notice..

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
So I think I lucked out.

I put the 1/2" spacers on, and the lug nuts go past the spacer. The spacers holes are big enough to let the lug nuts pass through. Problem solved.

Only thing is; the rim is very close to the caliper..which I dont like.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I also only test and tune. and they would have to take the wheel off or stick their face against it to tell there is a spacer there.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
do what you want ut your risking yoru self and other safety when your out on the track...

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
do what you want ut your risking yoru self and other safety when your out on the track...

How so?

The lugs go all the way down to the rotor, they go past the spacer, so its like not even using the spacer at all.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
with the design of the weld wheels they really need to be used with a full shank lug nut where the stud blows though the lug nut. if you use a spacer part of this stregnth is gonna be taken up by the spacer. the longer the stud the more secure that wheel is going to be.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Milan is hardly a small backwater track, for a place that has NHRA and NMRA races sanctioned there it's sad their standards let you in. That spacer and your description of how long the studs are will not pass a legitimate tech inspection. You're too cheap/lazy to save your own life. How do you think that wall is going to feel when something breaks doing 100mph? Your lug nuts are also required to be open-end type with 1/2" of the lug stud sticking out through the center, there is no need to take a wheel off to see that. That's you being foolhearty and them being lazy.

If your track doesn't catch it, make sure you at least show the guy next to you in the staging lanes it so he has the choice not to run next to you. Killing yourself is fine, going across the center lane and killing the other guy or even just totaling his car when he spent his money and time right is a whole other matter.

I hate racing next to cheap hillbilly's like you. No matter how much I cover my ass and follow the rules to the letter and even sometimes beyond it to participate in this sport safely I still get to run next to jackasses who think they're invincible. If you don't have the money to do it right, put the wheels on your garage shelf and work a few overtime shifts until you do.

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
Milan is hardly a small backwater track, for a place that has NHRA and NMRA races sanctioned there it's sad their standards let you in. That spacer and your description of how long the studs are will not pass a legitimate tech inspection. You're too cheap/lazy to save your own life. How do you think that wall is going to feel when something breaks doing 100mph? Your lug nuts are also required to be open-end type with 1/2" of the lug stud sticking out through the center, there is no need to take a wheel off to see that. That's you being foolhearty and them being lazy.

If your track doesn't catch it, make sure you at least show the guy next to you in the staging lanes it so he has the choice not to run next to you. Killing yourself is fine, going across the center lane and killing the other guy or even just totaling his car when he spent his money and time right is a whole other matter.

I hate racing next to cheap hillbilly's like you. No matter how much I cover my ass and follow the rules to the letter and even sometimes beyond it to participate in this sport safely I still get to run next to jackasses who think they're invincible. If you don't have the money to do it right, put the wheels on your garage shelf and work a few overtime shifts until you do.

Blah blah blah.

I'm not the 1st and only one to do it, I'm over it.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000 its called responsibility if you ahve it you take in account the effects your decisions will have on others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Kris said:
Blah blah blah.

thats the attitude there, how would you feel if your sister brother girfriend or whatever was hit by someone who make a jack ass decision like you that could have been prevented... pretty shitty huh? smarten up and follow the rules or dont even bother going

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Kris said:
95PGTTech said:

Blah blah blah.

Your parents failed.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I have seen only a select few people running open lugs on the front of there drag wheels. My car is perfectly safe. Maybe when i start making power and maybe lifting the front wheels i can see a need for the longer studs.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
Kris said:
95PGTTech said:

Blah blah blah.

Your parents failed.

lol

OP
OP
K

Kris

Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
I have seen only a select few people running open lugs on the front of there drag wheels. My car is perfectly safe. Maybe when i start making power and maybe lifting the front wheels i can see a need for the longer studs.

My thoughts exactly.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i have3" studs on the front of my car they do not stick out of the stud BUT they are only a 2 threads short and when you use a lug nut thats 1.99" long your good better then a stock lug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.