new control arms

stang94X

Reaction score
i really dont think it makes a difference, but im sure someone will chime in with better info

OP
OP

95BlkCobra

Reaction score
i think i remember hearing the tubular ones are a bit strongger and make for better connection to the road i just want to know

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I dunno, I have tubular on the bottom, boxed on top with poly bushings, and they seem to work pretty well.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Uppers (get them cheaper from Summit/Jegs)
M-5500.jpg

Ford Racing Rear Upper Control Arms, includes chassis side bushing only, 1979-04

These Ford rear upper control arms are direct replacements for the 1979-2004 Mustang (non-IRS) control arms. They will restore performance lost to old and deteriorating rubber bushings. These control arms have the stiffest rubber bushings available, and are much stiffer than what came originally on the Fox chassis Mustangs. Although Ford Racing Performance Parts claims their bushings to be "twice as stiff" as stock, our testing has shown that while they are much stiffer than Fox chassis bushings, they are identical to the 1994-04 bushings.

We performed extensive testing of rear upper control arm bushing materials during the development of our Panhard Bar. When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms. This is especially important when adding a Panhard Bar. The compliance of a rubber-bushed upper control arm is required when a Panhard bar is added to the Mustang four-link suspension.

When installed on a 1979-93 Mustang, these control arms with their stiffer bushings help limit axle wind-up and side-to-side motion, but will not damage your Mustang's upper torque boxes as a standard urethane-bushed upper control arm would. See our extended technical information about bushing material choices in our Rear Lower Control Arm section.

Lowers - (get them cheaper from a dealer)
MMRLCA-30.jpg

What sets MM Rear Lower Control Arms apart from all the rest?
It?s the engineering expertise we put into our unique bushing designs. Instead of simply making control arms the same way as everyone else, we first analyzed the Mustang?s rear suspension geometry, and then designed control arm bushings to provide what is needed to improve traction and handling. The superior design of MM rear lower control arms increases traction, without the poor handling characteristics commonly caused by most other aftermarket control arms.

The rear control arms connect the rear axle housing to the chassis. All of the forces that accelerate the car, as well as the braking loads, pass through the rear control arms. In stock form, the deflection of the rubber bushings prevents the rear axle from maintaining its correct position under the chassis, leading to instability from rear steer. During acceleration, the rear tires push the axle forward, which in turn moves the car forward by pushing on the rear lower control arms. Replacing the rear lower control arms with MM control arms will improve traction and handling primarily because of the elimination of the overly compliant stock rubber bushings. With MM rear lower control arms, the properly designed bushing mounted in a stout tubular arm keeps the axle correctly positioned under the chassis. Traction and handling are both improved because the axle does not move around in an unpredictable manner.

Most aftermarket rear control arms use hard 2-piece urethane bushings, Delrin bushings, or steel bushings. Those types of bushings do not allow the angularity needed for the Mustang?s suspension to articulate freely. The resulting suspension bind causes the rear tires to break loose very easily. Suspension bind not only causes poor handling and poor traction, but it also causes damage to the torque-boxes. As the attachment points on the chassis for the rear control arms, the torque-boxes can suffer greatly from the abuse of poorly designed control arm bushings. After all, the torque boxes are only made of folded sheet metal

LAFENATU

Reaction score
I am sure those will work also. Your not building a race car so in the end they will suffice.

I have always used MM and never had a problem so I suggest them. There quality is EXCELLENT.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
LAFENATU said:
I am sure those will work also. Your not building a race car so in the end they will suffice.

I have always used MM and never had a problem so I suggest them. There quality is EXCELLENT.

+1 I just put a set of the LCA (non adjustable's) On mine back in May and they are very well constructed. For just regular street driving anything is better then stock but if anyone wants to do any racing at all its better to go w/ a better quality set. Usually the difference is in the bushings and the build quality of the arms themselves.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Maximum Motorsports makes excellent products, and has great customer service.. I have only heard the first of those two
things about UPR.....

Addermk2

Reaction score
those control arms that LMR are selling are crap. the bushings are garbage, Ive had them for 3 years and worn the bushings out twice

buy quality... MM, UPR, steeda.. etc

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Man, do people not even bother trying to post stuff in the appropriate forum?

Moving to suspension...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online