updated steering shaft or steering joint?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it seems that my rag joing finally gave out on saturday. OMW home i got some play in the wheel.

Havn't had a chance to look at it yet, gotta get a certain 95 cobra off the lift, but I'm wondering:
Do you guys know of an updated joint or steering shaft, possibly one where the knuckle is smaller.

it's right by the hedder, like 1/16" away, and I'd like to have a smitch more space there.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I have a NIB '03 Cobra steering shaft I can sell you if you want, but I don't know if the knuckle is smaller. A flaming river or Maximum Motorsports steering shaft would do the trick for what you want.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at the MM shaft, just wondering if there's a more cost effective solution, and I don't know if that yoke is any smaller.

could you measure the diameter of the joint on that 03 shaft. and do you know if it is the same fit?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Sure, I'll grab the caliper and measure it for you. I doubt it's much/any different than what you've got know though.

It should fit the same though.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Javi said:
03-04 Mach 1 are the same as the 03-04 Cobras.
and the 96GTs?.... well, I would think so since the MM fit's the 94-04

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul, could you snap a pic of that thing for me?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Jeff, here's my spare '03 Cobra steering shaft. According to my handy dandy dial caliper, it's ~2.800" at the rag joint, and 1.700" at the widest part of the knuckle. Hope that helps dude.

Steering+Shaft.JPG

Steering+Shaft+Close.JPG

Paul.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
No prob dude. Are you just going to make you're own?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
The cheapest I can find it online is $121+ shipping. I'll sell for $100 shipped - unless you can find a cheaper one somewhere...

ReplicaR

Reaction score
03 Cobra rags and stock rags are same size. I have two side by side, and they look identical. I know someone who actually switched from 03 Cobra shaft to MM, for the same reason. The shaft was running too close to the header, and he would get a lot of play in it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Paul said:
No prob dude. Are you just going to make you're own?

Ya, I've got a hockey puck right here!

LMFAO. Priceless.

But is it a NHL-spec puck? I heard those are the only ones you should use from a guy with TONS of on-track experience.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Rep, sounds like the same thing I've got going here.

I got the car up on the lift and took a peek.
Last night we finished pulling the motor out of that 95, and cleaned up the freekin mess. (stupid pushrods)

The rag joint looks ok, but there's some play up higher in the shaft it looks like. and it's rubbing pretty good on the hedder.

steeringshaft.jpg

Just ordered the MM shaft. should help with my hedder clearance and is supposed to "feel" much better when driving the car. Woot!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online