Cobra Brakes on my 94 GT

SteveSkal

Reaction score
I really want to put the Cobra brakes on my 94. Who out there has done this and can tell me EXACTLY what I need to install. I've seen some kits for the rear brakes it seems you need some brackets and things but all those kits comes with rotors and I really want some nice cross drilled rotors so I'd prefer to buy all the pieces seperately. So I know I need all 4 calipers, all 4 rotors, need brake lines (do I just need to order brake lines for a 94 Cobra)? So for the front what else would I need, anything? For the rear who knows where I can buy the brackets and things I need seperately? Thanks so much guys.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
You will need Cobra rotors,Cobra calipers,Cobra style flexible brake lines, and lots of brake fluid. I recommend the speed bleeder vacuum kits from any parts store, they get the job done quickly!!! also, you may want to consider swapping the master cylinder out for the Cobra unit, the brakes are pretty touchy otherwise, but not needed. While you are there, you can swap to stainless brake lines, they do make a difference, but not needed.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Just do the fronts in Cobra brakes. Keep the stock rear GT brakes...you won't notice a difference between GT rears and Cobra rears when it comes to stopping.

The excellent braking with Cobras are the 13" fronts.

FYI, you can do Mach 1 brakes for a lot cheaper, only difference in the two is the Mach 1 calipers don't have COBRA engraved in it.

got5.0

Reaction score
not to steal the thread, but do you know of any break kits (brembo, etc.) that fit our car?

LAFENATU

Reaction score
with 17" wheels you can do almost anything.

Baer makes a great setup but $$$

The Cobra Brake kit is the best setup for the price, hands down.

You can also do a PBR Dual Piston Caliper swap from a 99+. I did it and the braking is much much superior to the 94-98 single piston calipers. Swap is not expensive at all...maybe $200 if that.

got5.0

Reaction score
LAFENATU said:
with 17" wheels you can do almost anything.

Baer makes a great setup but $$$

The Cobra Brake kit is the best setup for the price, hands down.

You can also do a PBR Dual Piston Caliper swap from a 99+. I did it and the braking is much much superior to the 94-98 single piston calipers. Swap is not expensive at all...maybe $200 if that.

I've got 18's in the front and 19's out back, and I'm mostly looking for the size to be larger because they are kind of ugly. Also, I will do some track days so looks aren't everything. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
S

SteveSkal

Reaction score
got5.0 said:
not to steal the thread, but do you know of any break kits (brembo, etc.) that fit our car?

Looks like you stole it

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I did the Cobra brake kit from Ford Racing, it has everything you need exept the brake lines to adapt the new master cylinder to the car. I use my car on track days, and with stock pads, I can run 4 30 min sessions a day and they still stop the car. The stock brakes failed in 2 sessions. i still have stock rear brakes. If you want bigger back brakes, Baer has a setup that swaps to a larger rotor and keeps your back caliper stock.

cntchds

Reaction score
I just did the Bullitt brake swap in the front, and I'm loving it. My brakes feel a lot more responsive, and I had none of the adverse effects that some people complain about. I bought the kit from buyfordracing.com and it came with everything but the fluids to get the brakes on my car. Awesome upgrade.

MikeF

Reaction score
what about the bracket that holds the caliper.if roter is bigger dont you need a different bracket?

mikey94gt

Reaction score
The bracket should come with the caliper. they are easy to get anyways.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online