Low is god.

bluestang94

Reaction score
Alright i just got my 94 gt AODE not to long ago and i want to know what springs do ya'll suggest and which have better ride quality? I was looking at H&R and Steeda springs. Maybe Eibach. Thanks

STR33TR

Reaction score
I think you and I have the same idea. I'm looking to get low w/ the greatest amt of comfort. Just swapping springs you will lose ride comfort, and may not gain any performance. If you go lower than 2" you definitely have to add Bumpsteer kit and it's STRONGLY ADVISED to add quality caster/camber plates. And even then, your suspension geometry is going to be out of whack.
If you intend to go 2" or lower (IMO it's not worth dropping if you're not going @least this low! I hate tire/fender gap...) you have precious few options: air bags, coilovers or custom components.
For Air bags, check out:
http://www.ridetech.com/catalog/Ford_Mustang_1979_1993-990-1.html
I've talked to these guys and they're pretty cool. Apparently you don't have to do the whole compressor/lines thing. You can just have the air springs and get a Schrader valve (think: bicycle pump...) set up and be low and have Lincoln comfort for like $900. Of course, you're still gonna need the bumpsteer kit and the caster/camber kit is still a really good idea.

For coilovers, we have two good options and a bunch of cheapie, knock-off options. FOR ME, suspension components is NOT a good place to cut corners. Everyone on here and any other mustang forum I've checked stands by the following options: Griggs Racing, and Maximum Motorsports. The main cheapie option that you'll see are the UPR coil-overs.
When looking @ coilovers, you gain performance and up to a 2.5" drop (although you may not get as much performance w/ them all the way down b/c your suspension geometry is jacked). You're still gonna need the c/c plates and bumpsteer kit to mantain control. Most report that they are @least as comfortable as factory.

What I'm seriously considering is going custom.
http://www.racecraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=300103
Bad news:These are $500, and they only lower the front.
Good news: you don't have to get the c/c plates & bumpsteer kit, you keep your suspension geometry as designed by the engineers.
I go back and forth a/b combining these w/ the air bags or just cutting the factory springs (less than 1" of cutting seems to be accepted practice that doesn't affect ride quality or performance). Team either of these options w/ upgraded struts for good front end comfort and a nice drop.
In the rear, I'm looking @ 2 custom options -the one I'm leaning toward is swapping my Solid Rear Axle (SRA) for an Independent Rear (IRS) from a 99-04 cobra. Apparently, the guys that drag race these cars will often swap straight up (or for small $$) their IRS for our SRAs. MUCH better ride quality and some have said they add more clearance. Team this w/ a rear coilover kit/air bag set and you can get down pretty nice.
The other option that I'm looking @ for the rear is a j-shaped Lower Control Arm (LCA).
http://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/467/GMCA7998WJ/10002/-1
These are a/b $200-$300 and lower mounting point for the rear springs by an inch, and then I'm looking at a mildly cut 4cyl spring or a set of air bags.

Of course, to get this low you've gotta pay.
$500 for spindles, $200 for LCAs and then the shocks/struts and either the 4cyl springs or rear air bags ($500 for the CoolRide rear kit w/ shocks). All this I'm budgeting a/b $1200-$1500 for my drop on my daily driver.

OP
OP
B

bluestang94

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea but i heard air kits are too heavey, im looking for performance and quality.

STR33TR

Reaction score
bluestang94 said:
Thanks for the idea but i heard air kits are too heavey, im looking for performance and quality.
I re-wrote my post. Check out the revision.

OP
OP
B

bluestang94

Reaction score
Thank you STR33TR for all of your input atfirst glance i was thinking 1 link no words i guess i shoulda been a bit more specific. Now that i see of what all you had to say i would say we do have the same goals, but allow me to shine a little light onmyself i know theres a section there but not to many people read that so i figured id post then repost up there so no neeed to move sorry, Im in the military (no im not trying to get the oooahhh efect) but i want to make my budget known, i have a new born beauiftul baby girl ( 2 month not much of new born i guess, but to me she is) im stationed over seas in germany and my wife is in the states and I will be pcsing and finaly be able to be with my amazing women. Any who we own a 2008 jeep compass, and my newly bought 1994 bright blue Mustang GT (which i have always been a fan of if i do say so now its amazing to own her as well. Anywho sorry for trailing off so as you can tell budget is small for the 302 but non the less is my project. I do want to do quite a few things nothing to extreme as of right now. (give me time.) but lower saleen wheels which im still searching for those as well and then start the performance build. but back on to topic sorry again. I was really considering the steeda http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_hi_silicon_springs.php but sorry for dragging that one out so badly.

Thanks again Streetr

STR33TR

Reaction score
Definitely looks like we're coming from the same place:
I'm a new papa too, just not as new as you! (My little boy is 2 and he definitely affects the mustang budget! He sure loves riding in daddy's car, even if Mama thinks it's too loud.)
My wife -like yours- has the newer (safer, more reliable) car, so I've negotiated that I should be able to get a small loan ($5-6K) to make my car something to be proud of. Now, I'm just waiting until I've narrowed down exactly what I want (and waiting a couple of months 'till we get caught up after being unemployed for half of '08!) The wheels/tires/suspension is going to eat up the lion's share of that budget, that's why I want it done right! B/c my budget is limited I can't afford to do things 2x! What you saw above is the result of a 1yr research project, and -as you could tell- I still haven't made up my mind 100%!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
why not just do coil overs, youll be able to go as low as you could ever want

STR33TR

Reaction score
$1600 for MM complete coilover kit. And that doesn't include the Bumpsteer kit that you'd need to get lower than 2".
My way is $500 for the front drop + $200 for j shaped LCAs +$500 for rear air kit (bags and shox) +$300 for AGX adjustable front struts + $free cut front springs= $1500 for maximum comfort, maximum drop and adjustability.

switch96

Reaction score
$250 for H&R SuperSports. $1250 to buy Ford stock.

STR33TR

Reaction score
Sure, it's just $250 for the springs, but the C/c plates are another $250, the bumpsteer kit is $150, new struts are @least $200-$300 (and those aren't going to be adjustable). That's $900 and then you're still driving an uncomfortable stang w/ only 2" of drop, that looks like 20k other stangs on the road... :(
Not knockin' anyone that goes this way, but I like to ride in a comfortable mustang and I hate fender gap.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
My Mustang rides better than my Lexus on these crappy H&R springs lol. once you get a ride height you like there's no need to change it so I felt coilovers weren't worth the money. Mustangs that are too low look stupid imo.

Crone

Reaction score
I would have to agree with onyx with the H&R's Every stang I have seen with them has been perfect! and from what I hear they handle very nice, and don't ride to bad :dontknow:. Air bags are cool if that's what you are into, but a sports car should be fun in the corners imo. But if your building a show car then it wouldn't really matter how well it can hang a corner.

OP
OP
B

bluestang94

Reaction score
I absolutely agree Crone. Thats what I do want cornering and ride height for the best bang for your buck. To be honest as i said again my only near plans are height, wheels, cai, and possiblely headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online