Watts Link

cntchds

Reaction score
I just found a smoking deal on Corral for a Watts Link, so I hopped on it as fast as I could read the reviews on how wonderful it is. My question now is... Has anyone here actually used one? I know they are supposedly the best option in terms of performance, but the real reason I bought it was because it was a Watts for Panhard money. (375) I guess what I'm curious about is how much of a pain in the butt is it to install one? I've read the instructions manual over and over again, and it really seems like it won't be nearly as bad as I was expecting, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done the install.

The one I bought is from Evolution Motorsports, whom is now out of business, so their website isn't really doing me any good, but have read a few good reviews on corner carvers. The problem there is I'm not a member(and can't become one since I only have a free-mail account) and can't see all of their installation pictures.

Any insight would be great, I'm kinda taking this one on blind.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
EVM stuff is very well designed, and I remember when they went out of business, they said that it wasn't creating enough revenue to keep the employees busy. The business was basically ran by two brothers, and they did not want to sell designs or business to anyone else. There are no installation instructions on Corner-Carvers, I've looked before. I remember reading that they will still be offering tech support, so you might wanna e-mail them, and ask for the PDF file that contains directions.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
I do have the instructions manual now, but the only real thing I'm confused on is how to install the axle towers. The pictures they have in their instructions manual are grainy to say the least, and don't really offer the detail I need to understand what to do with them. I don't have the Watts here yet, which may be why I can't understand the instructions, but having some insight from someone who has either seen, or actually installed the kit would be very helpful.

I know they don't have instructions on Corner Carvers, but they do have a couple of guys who have installed this Watts Link who posted a lot of pictures that I can't see. I made a new email account and signed up for Corner Carvers today, but I guess the registration process takes a little while.

If anyone needs the instructions PDF, or would like to help me decipher them, feel free to send a PM my way with your email address.

Autotooner

Reaction score
cntchds said:
I do have the instructions manual now, but the only real thing I'm confused on is how to install the axle towers. The pictures they have in their instructions manual are grainy to say the least, and don't really offer the detail I need to understand what to do with them. I don't have the Watts here yet, which may be why I can't understand the instructions, but having some insight from someone who has either seen, or actually installed the kit would be very helpful.

I know they don't have instructions on Corner Carvers, but they do have a couple of guys who have installed this Watts Link who posted a lot of pictures that I can't see. I made a new email account and signed up for Corner Carvers today, but I guess the registration process takes a little while.

If anyone needs the instructions PDF, or would like to help me decipher them, feel free to send a PM my way with your email address.

hey, I know you...

Magic

Reaction score
Anybody have pics of this EVM Watts Link?

Ive seen the Griggs and Fays2, but not the EVM.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
It should be here tomorrow, if UPS isn't lying to me. I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures of the part itself, as well as the install. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
5EVM-Watts-mid.jpg

Magic

Reaction score
Are they any body mods required with that one? If I recall right, the Griggs one makes you cut the spare wheel tub for clearance.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
There are 8 holes that have to be drilled in the frame rail. (two all the way through on each side)

Other than that it is bolt on.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
I will be installing either this weekend or the following weekend, so stay tuned for pictures. :thumbsup:

Magic

Reaction score
cntchds said:
I will be installing either this weekend or the following weekend, so stay tuned for pictures. :thumbsup:

Awesome!

Are you running tailpipes on your car? If so, hopefully they clear?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
they are supposed to be the best way to keep your axle centered and still allow it to articulate.
I havn't driven one, but from what I've ready, I'm sure you'll like it.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
I went at the install today starting at around 5. Getting a call at around 5:15 from my brother telling me he needed a ride, so leaving, and getting back around 6:00, to get called in the house for dinner... Then getting back out around 6:45 to finally start work.

So far I've taken the sway bar off, taken out the shocks, lowered the tank enough to fit the cradle onto the tank strap bolts, and that's pretty much it so far. It would be so much easier to get it welded on... But I feel like this is a better way to do it in case of anything happening that I need to get to the rear end. This will make it much easier to take it out.

By the way, if anyone else ever does this install, do not think that you can avoid taking the shocks out. Even though the axle towers only connect to the shock mount, which can be reached simply by taking off the nut, it needs to be removed in order to drill the holes in the framerail.

Everything stated above took me just about an hour and a half of work time, so I think I'm in good stead.

Pics will be taken before work starts up again tomorrow, and if all goes according to plan then I'll be done in a few more hours of work time.

I have to figure out what to do with the brake lines that are attached to the axle since I need to "gently move them out of the way," but one is attached to the top of the axle with some sort of nub thing that I couldn't take off easily, and didn't want to pry.

Hopefully the only things left to do are to figure out that brake line thing, and drill the holes for the framerail mount and I should be good-to-go... Yeah, like it's ever been that easy...

:Edit:
Actually, here's the pictures from the first step... finding a level surface to start working on. It took two days and around 14 hours of work to uncover the floor of my garage. Unfortunately I don't have a before picture, but here is the middle and final pictures after two trips to the dump, and one to an e-waste place... (This is just an attempt to prove I haven't just been being lazy.)
Middle
img1252906610965.jpg

Final
img1252999242897.jpg

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
Install finished tonight, save for reinstalling my sway bar. That will be done tomorrow or next weekend.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
Final adjustments to the link arm lengths need to be done since I had adjusted them after the axle had been at full droop for 2 days, so I'm gonna see if they need fooling with, then I'll take some good pictures. I have a couple but none really worth posting yet. Stay tuned. ;)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've been paying attention to your thread on CC. BTW, when you adjust the watts link, make sure you do it with the wheels on the ramps or something. It's pretty crucial to have all the load the car has on the rear wheels at the time of the adjustment. I'd recommend adjusting on a half talk, because it would be the middle point of your car at any given time.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
If the idea is to have it where the tank is most of the time then I should do it at about a quarter tank. ;)

Last time I adjusted it I put it on jackstands at the far ends of the axle tubes, because I didn't have everything else finalized and tightened down yet. I still haven't put the sway bar back on yet, but I think that will give it a touch more stiffness, which will be interesting. As it is right now, it feels awesome. A small stretch of road that I used to only be able to take at around 50 I can now do at 70, and the car just seems like it's laughing at my lack of balls to go faster. I'm happy being alive though. ;)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The idea is that once you start going to track days, you will be going full tank to almost empty in the course of the day. Half tank is an average of two, so, you're always close to the right setting instead of being near it right before the gas up. Most of the racers set up their whole car with half tank, which includes coilovers, arms, and everything else that can be adjusted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.