Chassis stiffening

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Alright, I need some roadrace/autocross advice. I may have a good deal on a griggs panhard bar setup. So Im going with that, subframe connectors, uca and lca from MM. Now how about k-member braces are they worth it?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You can try it if you want. I don't know how much they really help, since you already have a brace in place, or at least you are supposed to from the factory. Most of the chassis flex comes from the midsection of the car anyway. There is no real way to fix that, unless you are willing to go to the extremes (through the floor subframe connectors, full cage, tubed front end)

OP
OP
A

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Well a cage is sorta out of the picture, the car is a daily driver and that's a little too rigid for street use. But through the floor subframes may be a good idea. Alright, well is there anything else I should try? My class is CP so I really have no limits.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
anyone see that article in the sept issue of mm&ff ....connecting the dots ....it had to do with chassis flex and how subframe connectors made almost no difference (inside the margin of error)..... they did go into kmem supports though

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'd like to read that article. I know that subframe connectors are not the miracle cure that everyone makes them out to be, but I don't think they are completely useless. First thing I noticed when I installed my full lengths was that the car would understeer a little bit less. It would still flex, and it still does until I do something a lot more radical.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
auto_x5.0 said:
Well a cage is sorta out of the picture, the car is a daily driver and that's a little too rigid for street use. But through the floor subframes may be a good idea. Alright, well is there anything else I should try? My class is CP so I really have no limits.

I would get a set of full length SFCs. I would not recommend doing through-floors for the average DIY'er. I have done a few sets myself and getting the car perfectly square and level is EXTREMELY important. It is insanely time consuming and annoying work.

That being said, they are far superior to any other type of SFC. You're basically converting the car into a truck-frame-rail. Built correctly, they should tie in the front and rear subframes, then brace across the car to each other, and should have provisions for later adding a cage directly to them, as well as seat and harness mounting.

As ReplicaR said though, even through-floors are not the end-all-be-all. Since you're using this car on the street, you need to make choices between performance and convenience.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
I'd like to read that article. I know that subframe connectors are not the miracle cure that everyone makes them out to be, but I don't think they are completely useless. First thing I noticed when I installed my full lengths was that the car would understeer a little bit less. It would still flex, and it still does until I do something a lot more radical.

its not that they are totally useless its just the "change" was well within the posible margin of error

i cant find the article online

it starts on pg 140 of the sept issue

OP
OP
A

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
I dont get mm&ff anymore. Does anybody have one they can send to me?lol I only get 5.0&super fords and they usually never go over sn95 suspension mods.

OP
OP
A

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Alright, now I have to mod two cars. Cuz now Im racing my GT vert and dad get's to race the Cobra, so we will race against each other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online