Bad U joints or something else?

Blk97GT

Reaction score
Yesterday my car developed a bad vibration out of nowhere. When driving the car the vibration can be felt from under the car, sterring wheel dont shake but everything else does. Vibration is felt in every gear but not so bad on the HWY. My motor mounts where changed a few months back so those are good. I can rev the motor in nuetral and it is very smooth, car also shifts smooth. Could this be the U joints? Maybe trans mount? If it is the U joints how can I tell they are bad just by looking at them? Also this vibration seems tomake the car work harder to go, its not pulling as hard as it use to, feels real slugish.

RoadZOmbie

Reaction score
Same thing with mine! And I do get a clunk when I take off or downshift sometimes. U joint?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i have the same problem. mine does it in 4th and 5th gear at all speeds above 60 MPH. no clunk. replaced u joints 4 weeks ago. the faster i go the faster the vibration gets. cant feel it in the steering wheel, but i can feel it in the pedals, floor boards, butt of the seat, and back of the seat. solid motor mounts put in January.

RoadZOmbie

Reaction score
duff daddy said:
dont even buy joints just go buy an FRPP aluminum drive shaft

I had already installed one but the e-brake bracket ate up some of it and I'm not sure if I should slap it back on

OP
OP
B

Blk97GT

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
Do you feel a clunk when you take off or slow down?
Its more of a snap or pop sound that comes from the back of the car, Happens when taking off, not slowing down. The vibration is real bad right under me and the car feels like its working real hard to move.

Crone

Reaction score
Most likely is the u joints. I had the exact same problem a while back, I had it goin around a corner once too? It was really bad! So I went and replaced the joints and everything was good then. They are pretty cheap and doesn't take very long at all, and you probably should just do it for the sake of maintenance anyway :dontknow:

OP
OP
B

Blk97GT

Reaction score
Seems like everyone thinks its a u joint. Gonna be getting it on the lift tomorrow and we will see. Can you tell they are bad just by looking at them? What am I looking for? Thanks for the help guys.

Crone

Reaction score
Grab the driveshaft and try to twist it, move it up and down, side to side, etc..., you can tell if they are bad if it wiggles arounds

Crone

Reaction score
I was thinking they were only like 11 a peice, but I'm probaly thinking of something else..... either way 50 dollars is cheap for something that important

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online