cobra brakes

down shift

Reaction score
where do i begin with this story? i bought a cobra upgrade brake kit and my dad was helping me to instal them, a semingly simple job of brake swaping turned into 8+ hours of fighting with the factory hard lines to get a proper seal on the new flex lines but even after the effort the driver side still leaks and we have no idea what to do. i have also heard that 94-95 year mustangs need a new master cylinder is it realy needed? if any one has any ideas please help

ReplicaR

Reaction score
First off, which brake lines are you using?

Secondly on the master cylinder, from my experience, and many others I've seen in person, 94-95s need a different one. If you use a stock master cylinder with Cobra brakes, the pedal becomes impossibly hard, and you will not be able to utilize the brakes fully. They will never even get to a lock up point. Now, a proper master cylinder from Ford Racing will require your lines to be changed a little bit. It's a giant pain in the ass, but you can buy the right lines from Maximum Motorsports.

OP
OP
D

down shift

Reaction score
im using a braided line from buy ford racing.com the brand is G-stop. as for the master cylinder where can i buy the new cylinder? and will my stock cylinder hold up to a few autocross days?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Did the new brake lines comes with the new banjo bolts and washers?

Master cylinder will hold up to anything. It's not going to break or cause any failure, however you'll be getting only half of your new brake potential if you don't switch over. You can order new master cylinder either through Ford Racing directly, or talk to MM. They have a wide variety of master cylinders and lines you will need to do the swap.

OP
OP
D

down shift

Reaction score
yes the lines came with new banjo bolts and washers. and thanks for the info :thumbsup: my next move will have to be the mastercylinder thanks again

OP
OP
D

down shift

Reaction score
i checked out mm is the mastercylinder i want the 94-95 mustang cobra cylinder?

mikey94gt

Reaction score
exactly. all the calipers for Cobra, Bullitt, etc are the same, as are the rotors. the master cylinder is different for 96 and up, and 94/95, because of the hydroboost system on the 96 and up cars.

for your brake lines, check the flares and make sure they are perfectly clean and straight. a quick shot of brake cleaner to the flares will make sure they are good to go. let the brake cleaner dry, assemble, then use a vacuum bleeder kit to bleed down your brakes, and you should be good to go.

Quick overview of the Cobra brakes on the track. I run a 94 Mustang GT with Griggs K member, Control arms, coilovers, Koni race shocks and bumpsteer kit. the car weighs about 3200# with me and a full tank. it makes 300HP at the tires, so it isnt exactly slow.
well, I never upgraded the brakes, cuz all I did was street driving, and some autoX, which doesnt really overheat brakes. I took the car on the track, and pretty much trashed the stock brake setup, and I was running "premium" Raybestos ceramic brake pads and FoMoCo rotors. utterly toasted. I upgraded to the Cobra setup in front, with the master cylinder and SS brake lines, no more brake fade, even slowing from 120mph, standing on them, envoking abs for 1/2 hour or so on the track. I could even drive home normally, and this is all with the supplied stock brake pads. cant wait to see what it does with R compound pads!! so if you were wondering if the brakes work, the answer is a resounding YES!!

95BlkCobra

Reaction score
i just dont like how the brake pad sits in the caliper, ive had a few of those rivits break and the caliper slipds up and down, ive never used cheap pads either, only motor craft stock replacement pads.

Crone

Reaction score
Our caliper/ pad setup isnt as bad as some of the other cars I've worked on. I had my front done in maybe an hour? (just replacement) I don't really remember. I've spent that just trying to get a set pads to seat right on other cars! :BangHead: Downshift- I think the 96 and up setup will work for your booster. I'm not positive though

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Those are hydroboost cars. No, it will not work.

95BlkCobra said:
i just dont like how the brake pad sits in the caliper, ive had a few of those rivits break and the caliper slipds up and down, ive never used cheap pads either, only motor craft stock replacement pads.

You know, I've never had that happen to me. I've been running my Cobra brakes for couple of years now, used PBR, Hawk, and Porterfield pads, and never once had pads ever broke on me. The only thing I don't like about the caliper is that I wish it would be secured by bolts like the GT calipers or Corvette calipers, rather than a slider pin and e-clip.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Ive had mine for a year, and its never happened to me either. Im running stock Ford pads.

Crone

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Those are hydroboost cars. No, it will not work.

I'm glad to know that before I pulled one.... :thumbsup:

blackpony

Reaction score
i recently upgraded to the pbr twin piston calipers and got some oreillys ceramic pads and noticed a huge difference over the stock sn95 brakes... just something to think about.... i picked up everything needed for 50 bucks then another 50 for the pads..... everything bolted right up with just minor grinding to the spindle and wow!!!

Win

Legend
Reaction score
blackpony said:
i recently upgraded to the pbr twin piston calipers and got some oreillys ceramic pads and noticed a huge difference over the stock sn95 brakes... just something to think about.... i picked up everything needed for 50 bucks then another 50 for the pads..... everything bolted right up with just minor grinding to the spindle and wow!!!

Same here i have mine sitting in the garage waiting to go on. And i went with some Ceramic pads also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.