Its working, thanks for tips and data on forum. Just a bit more questions...

24hrlemons

Reaction score
background - 98 V6 converted to race car for Lemons racing (roadcourse endurance, 500 buck limit)

Our little mustang handled like a pig stock, it seems the 98 v6 was the only one that did not come with rear sway bar for some reason. Did research here on best mods to help handling.

I found a rear sway bar from a '97 v6 and used that, I had a hard time finding a bar from a v8 GT and with a track day yesterday I needed something.

I also had issues previously with the rear end going way up under braking and unloading the rear tires. I researched here lowered the car 1.5 coils in the rear and .75 coil + removed isos in front. This worked great, the car sits low but not too low now. The handling is transformed, along with new tires, and it is very neutral - amazingly so. I'd prefer a bit more oversteer personally but probably good for the skill of our team drivers which is varied.

Thanks for this forum to for the help so far. :eek:ccasion14: :headbang:

Questions:

I know a panhard bar is supposed to help the suspension be compliant in turns, but we're going to be on a racetrack, which is pretty smooth. Is that going to be worth the effort for our application? I actually have bought the supplies to make one - rod ends, metal, etc, but the space is cramped with the diff and exhaust. I'd like to run exhaust out side if I go with making a bar, another hassle.

I'd like to get a limited slilp rear for slower corners as we get wheel spin with the mighty 3.8 stock v6. Anyone have a clue on how to ID one at a junkyard and what I'd pay for it, how hard it is to swap out? I am pretty good with following directions and doing mechanical work, I understand the idea of getting the gears to mesh correctly and stuff, but maybe best to take to a shop for that one.

Here are some pics of the car and project.

Cheers,

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
OK i"m dumb, I can't figure how to add images. have to get back on that one. see the icon but only adds code to my text...

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
photo.php

Ok I'm still uninformed about how to add images but I did hit insert image and then past in a URL of a image on facebook, but it only shows the link...

you get the idea. Perhaps if space is an issue, having all those elaborate sig files with images of cars and such on every posting is eating up a lot of storage? Perhaps I'm an old fuddy but it makes it more annoying seeing all the glitz on the forum posts and less text....

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
You have to upload the pics to something like flickr or photobucket then use the htpp image code with the link inside the brackets

joekd

Reaction score
24hrlemons said:
I'd like to get a limited slilp rear for slower corners as we get wheel spin with the mighty 3.8 stock v6. Anyone have a clue on how to ID one at a junkyard and what I'd pay for it, how hard it is to swap out? I am pretty good with following directions and doing mechanical work, I understand the idea of getting the gears to mesh correctly and stuff, but maybe best to take to a shop for that one.

Easy solution, find a 94-98 Mustang GT rear and bolt it in. The old school way to check a diff was to get both rear tires off the ground, spin the drivers side, if the pass side spins opposite direction its an open rear and move on until you find one where both tires spin same direction.

4.698gt

Reaction score
panhard bar will get the rear center when you put a sideways load on the car (ie the corner). As far as a limited slip, its either find a GT rear or by a limited slip diff for the 7.5. Swapping the entire rear is a fairly simple job because they both hook up the same way where as swapping in a carrier is a little more complicated but doable. you will need some carrier bearings and you will have to make sure the contact pattern on the teeth is good still.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online