jack stands + grass = fail

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
so i decided to paint my brake calipers. had the front end on jack stands and the back end up on the jack :nono: (stupid i know but wated to do it all at the same time) well i had all 4 wheels off the front to brakes off and was working on the right rear. and then it happened. my car slid to the right off the jack stands and fell. i now had a 3000 pound rock :crybaby2: needless to say i was flippin the F*** OUT! but i eventually got it back up. nothing broke :angel4: thank god. tried again this time i just jack the rear up and now i have my back calipers painted =)

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yep safety is huge, thast why you NEVER get under a car if you didnt put it under jack stands

El_Diablo

Reaction score
just a tip...... whenever the wheels are off throw them under the rocker panels or frame of the vehicle your working on, just in case something fails, its usually cheaper than injuring yourself or the body damage that comes with a falling vehicle

even if you dont think that it did any damage it probably atleast popped some plastic clips, double check everything before you drive at elevated speeds

switch96

Reaction score
One of my friends was in his backyard the other day when he heard a scream from the neighbor's wife. He ran over and his dually had fell on him because he was working under it in grass. Pretty much instantly died.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh my....

some peeps like to learn the hard way :)
jk

switch96

Reaction score
Lol he said it was pretty gruesome. The man was basically split in half by the rear end.

x182dan

Reaction score
switch96 said:
One of my friends was in his backyard the other day when he heard a scream from the neighbor's wife. He ran over and his dually had fell on him because he was working under it in grass. Pretty much instantly died.

wow thats a horrible way to go

El_Diablo

Reaction score
some how, sadly, i doubt he was instantly dead unless his head was smashed aswell :(

switch96

Reaction score
By the time my friend got to him -- maybe 15 seconds or so, he was unresponsive. I don't know how instantaneous it was, but the guy wasn't in pain for too long. Hopefully he passed out immediately.

And yeah, I would probably traumatized. That shit would change my life or something lol..
He seems fine.

THREEOTWO04

Reaction score
I have a similar story where a guy was sanding and painting his boat. Put the boat up on blocks and wood (in the grass) then laid directly underneath of it. We were working on a dirt modified in a shop a house away, when we heard screaming. Looked over the fence, boat was on the ground, the guy was in two. Grass is no way to support something that heavy.

switch96

Reaction score
THREEOTWO04 said:
I have a similar story where a guy was sanding and painting his boat. Put the boat up on blocks and wood (in the grass) then laid directly underneath of it. We were working on a dirt modified in a shop a house away, when we heard screaming. Looked over the fence, boat was on the ground, the guy was in two. Grass is no way to support something that heavy.

1st post FTMFW lmao

98GTnSC

Reaction score
thats 1 hell of a 1st post!!! there was no hey or intro! just hardcore "and the man was in 2"!!!

mustangshane

Reaction score
I had a step-uncle die. he didn't put jeck stands under his car and the jack gave out with him under it. Crushed him quick. I was 19 at the time and it was a valuable lesson for me. I'm very careful EVERY time I'm under my car. You should be able to push on the car and it not move at all. I dont climb under if I dont feel safe.

Nice first post THREEOTWO04, rofl!

96redgt

Reaction score
I like using steel wheels with old tires on them, or a set of wooden blocks I put together @ work. Supports the weight very well, as well as being very sturdy. I have NEVER tried lifting a vehicle on grass. That just seems like common sense....

A guy my grandparents were friends with died when his car rolled on top of him. He had it up on ramps, without chocking the wheels, on a sloped driveway. Since then, I've always been cautious working underneath cars.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
we were doing my front suspension... had the car up on jackstands and the control arm was hanging down. so we jacked up the car a little (for whatever reason, i dont 100% remember.) the conrol arm slid down a little more and ended up supporting the front driver's side of the car. we removed the jack and it sat fine, but then when my friend got under it he kicked the jackstand and it fell down. the car was being held up by the control arm...... my friend FLEW out from under the car and we immediately grabbed the floor jack. . . .. .the car didnt fall; no damage to human or car. so my story turned out good, but now we make sure that the floorjacks are sterdy and we literally PUSH the car side to side to make sure its settled on the jacks properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online