explorer 8.8 axels 31 spline in 95gt

MikeF

Reaction score
I am looking for a explorer rear-end to use internal parts(carrier and axels) on my 95 gt.does anyone know if i need 2 right hand axels.does the explorer have a offset rear like the trucks do.I was told i could use 2 right hand axels.I have my rearend apart and need to get this figured out.I can get a complete explorer rear for 150 at the junkyard just wandering if i should get extra axel

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i would get the extra just for the fact you dont know how the axles in that explorer housing look. One may be a total slug and the other perfect... i would get the other and just be safe

OP
OP
M

MikeF

Reaction score
K Thanks.where could i find a site that would give me some information on axel length of the explorer or truck rear-end. but I see what your getting at.that would suck if the rear-end was shot.I had just rebuilt my 28-spline t-lock i hope my carbon-fiber clutch pack work on the 31 spline t-lock.I was going to install all new bearings also.any other suggestions

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Two left hand axles will work. the Mustang rear is wider than the Ranger/Exploder rear. if I was gonna do it, I would call up Summit Racing and order up a pair of Superior axles in 31 spline, then you get all new stuff. there about $150 new. Also, look for 1/2 ton pickups, they are closer to the same width as the Mustang, but may also be grenaded. The only problem here is they came with drum brakes, so no ABS reluctor wheel. Not that you need it, but you can get the center diff outta each, use your new clutch pack, and slap it in the Mustang with new axles and make it work.

who knows what kinda shape the Exploder rear is in, it could be grenaded, and the axles destroyed for all you know. the axle is the inner race for the bearing, just like the Mustang 8.8.

The other thing I was gonna suggest is C clip elims. they should make the rear much more stable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online