Thunk coming from rear?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I've got a 95 Gt and when I leave a stop sign or make a tight turn I hear this thumping noise coming from the rear end. What could this be? It never does it when I go over a bump only when I am accelerating.

Edit: Just searched a little deeper and read that it could be my u-joints, but it never does it when I am slowing down. Only accelerating

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
check all your bolts on the rear suspension. make sure your pigtails are sitting properly. change your u-joints ($50.00 and 2 hours.) if that doesnt fix the problem and you dont find anything. make sure your shocks are in tight, your quad shocks arent blown, your brake calipers are on tight.

if you still have the problem after all that and havent seen any clues to any problems.... open your diffy. check for metal flakes or large chunks in the fluid.

after that, im out of ideas.

det_riot

Reaction score
Weird, mine does the same thing but it does it when i decelerate to I believe. It sounds like its coming from the right rear though for me...

det_riot

Reaction score
Kind of like a plastic or something to metal? Not really a metal to metal?

Crone

Reaction score
Mine did it and it was u-joints. I never had a problem with it decelerating. Normaly when starting to move. It did it around a corner once really bad, that's when I changed them. U-joints are pretty cheap, and they don't take long at all to do. It would be good for maintainence anyway so i say replace and see if it fixed the problem.

4.698gt

Reaction score
I had the same thing. replaced exhaust pieces, bushings and a bunch of other crap before i grabbed the driveshaft one day looking under there and it moved a good 1/4 inch. Then i started really moving it and it the rear joint was sloppy as sin. replaced them both and blammo that was the problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online