rear control arms

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

My rear upper control arms are rubbing on my exhaust. so i need new ones.... I love maximum motorsports' products, but their upper rear control arms look just like the stock ones... whats the point of that? are tehy any better? i would like a tubular set-up to stop the rubbing-action. does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to buy an upper and lower kit. I love their options on the lowers, but their uppers sug balls....

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on a PREMIUM upper control arm kit that's tubular. Or a kit that has both uppers and lowers.

wytstang

Reaction score
Thats because they are stock replacements. According to MM the crappy 4 link design didn't allow them to improve over stock configuration. Stiffer uca put to much stress on the torque boxes, and ploy bushing cause to much bind as well . Stock uca with stock rubber bushing is what they recommend for street/strip cars.
When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms.
BTW ebay has the best prices on them.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
What's the purpose for the car?

street/strip

wytstang said:
Thats because they are stock replacements. According to MM the crappy 4 link design didn't allow them to improve over stock configuration. Stiffer uca put to much stress on the torque boxes, and ploy bushing cause to much bind as well . Stock uca with stock rubber bushing is what they recommend for street/strip cars.
When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms.
BTW ebay has the best prices on them.

dang, i wish i would have known that before putting in prothayne bushings..s.s.... lol... shiiiits.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lowered 1.5" on BBK standard rate Gripp springs. + prothyne Isos top and bottom, front and back.

theyve been rubbing since i bought the car. so i dono. i was just gunna swap to tubular, but noticed i couldnt find any good set ups.

now i think i might have to take out the prothyne bushings to put in OEM rubbers and do something with the EXHAUST instead of the suspension :-(

wytstang

Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket exhaust you should be able to loosen it up and adjust sections. As for the brake lines, is there any tabs/mounts that can be gentle bent?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
(i dont have abs, mind you)

but the exhaust rubs on the line that runs from the passenger side to the drivers side. its right on above the junction box on the passenger side.

what i did was i put a few washers under the junction box to pull it away from the exhaust. Then i unbolted my exhaust, wrapped a rope around it and tugged it towards teh drivers side while i bolted it back down (2 person job.)

This was the best I could do and it gave it (litterally) a c-hair of clearance. im positive it still rubs.
now the exhaust looks off center from the rear (which is better than rubbing on brake lines) and it didnt even help with the rubbing on the control arm (drivers side.)

I would just have the exhaust re-done... but I'm saving up for my motor swap and ill have to get different headers (and obbviously the rest of the exhaust) for the new motor.... so i dont want to pay for something im going to change anyways.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol +1. but dang. its tough to cough the bill for something so minor, ya know?

wytstang

Reaction score
Have you tried rotating the exhaust pipe? Loosing it up from the mid pipe and rotate the exhaust left or right and see which way gives you more clearance.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wytstang said:
Have you tried rotating the exhaust pipe? Loosing it up from the mid pipe and rotate the exhaust left or right and see which way gives you more clearance.

its all one piece (????) it only bolts up one way, ya know? all the pieces are solid.

wytstang

Reaction score
I thought you had an after market exhaust (they have 2 pieces). Well still loosen the cat-back at the mid pipe and try rotating the exhaust right or left. It should swing the pipe away from the u/c/a.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wytstang said:
I thought you had an after market exhaust (they have 2 pieces). Well still loosen the cat-back at the mid pipe and try rotating the exhaust right or left. It should swing the pipe away from the u/c/a.

its aftermarket from hte exhaust manifold gaskets back. my after cat is all one piece (i understand taht sometimes they are two pieces with the break above teh rear axle, but mine is welded there)

ill take a look. thanks

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
xploder17s said:
welded after mufflers near axle bend?

my friends aftercat is 2 parts. the front part that has the mufflers that connects to the crosspipe, and the back part that are only tips. they connect using a u-bracket *ABOVE* the axle. (in the "u" shape)

mine has that same break, but its welded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online