Skinny and fattys daily driver??

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
HEY YOU GUYSSSS.....wondering how many of you running front runners on your daily drivers. I have a set of jegs prostars that have new tires and thinking of just using those rather then buying new wheels and tires. They are 15x4s and have 165s on them. I used to run welds on previous stang but only drove it around town nothing far. Opinions appreciated!!
If not i was thinking of running these:

Jegs Sport Star (prostars)
Diameter & Width: 15 x 7"
Bolts & Bolt Circle: 5-4.5"
Back Spacing: 4.00"
Tire: 205/50/15

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
They will decrease your ability to brake effectively, decrease your emergency maneuverability, and are generally less safe. There's no reason to run skinnies on a streetcar. Put them on at the track.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
+1 well said Paul. I don't think people realize how bad they are until they actually have to do an emergency brake or maneuver.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
+1 well said Paul. I don't think people realize how bad they are until they actually have to do an emergency brake or maneuver.

have you ever driven with skinnies on your car or performed an emergency maneuver???? I think Paul may have but, not sure if you have so its hard to accept your opinion on this one. That would be like me telling ppl how to work in a pushrod motor..

Ive driven about 6k? this year on 15x8 drag and 15x4.5 skinnies up front, suspension is fox springs with 5 way tokicos on softest setting on the front with no sway bars ANYWHERE. yea its not smart, yea it is interesting on off ramps but its not HORRIBLE. i drive to and from work and that's about it, if i go anywhere i drive the truck usually. but if i had to drive it 4 hours to say atco for a race id have no problem doing that knowing it wasn't going to rain. if your gnna dd this car with drag radials on the rear and skinnies up front, id be careful.

joekd

Reaction score
225 width tire is hardly dangerous to run on a DD

As long as the tires and rims are DOT approved for street use you will be fine

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
OnyxCobra said:

have you ever driven with skinnies on your car or performed an emergency maneuver???? I think Paul may have but, not sure if you have so its hard to accept your opinion on this one. That would be like me telling ppl how to work in a pushrod motor..

I personally have not but I know a few local guys that have and they have all said the same thing. It doesn't take an expert to figure out that skinnier tires up front will decrease steering and braking ability... it's a little different then you talking about a pushrod.

That being said 225 or 205 tires, whatever this guy is talking about, aren't really that skinny and not what I consider "skinies" when i hear someone talking about a drag wheel/tire setup, so chances are he won't have any issues regardless. 165's on the other hand? those are damn skinny.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ive been running 15x5s up front.... and honestly, I drive like an asshole and they seem more than capable off emergency stops and evasive manuevers.

Maybe its because they are 5 inch rims and not 3.5...I dont know but I swear my car actually stops faster with the lightweight rims...maybe because the wheels are significantly lighter than the 18 inch chrome fr500s I was running?,...makes sense, even with the smaller surface area in the front.

The handling isnt near as bad as people have made it out to be IMO...but take into account that my car is on sportlines

You cant drive like jeff gordon but I have taken on ramps that my tires start squeeling at 70 on with normal wheel setup and 55 mph with no problem with the skinnies.

You can feel the sidewall flex...but other than that the handling seems fine to me.

I say go for it personally...just get used to how the car handles and brakes

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I did it for about a year, wasnt bad. Now i have drag springs, 90/10's and now sway bars. I just drove it to the movie theater about 15 miles away no problem. Ive also driven it 200 miles home. You just have to get use to it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
joekd said:
225 width tire is hardly dangerous to run on a DD

As long as the tires and rims are DOT approved for street use you will be fine

He's not running 225s. He said he would run 205s if the 165s didn't work.

I've driven on 165s enough times to know I'd never do it on a regular basis. A buddy of mine had to swerve very suddenly in his fox hatch with big'n'littles and literally PEELED the tire off the rim.

The biggest factors in maneuverability and braking are weight and contact patch. You just can't change physics. The less friction you have with the ground, the less energy (or in this case inertia) you're able to bleed off through the tires in a given period of time.

Have lots of people driven with skinnies and had no problems? Yes. Lots of people have driven their whole lives without a seatbelt too. A few unlucky ones have been thrown through the windshield and killed.

I prefer my seatbelt.

OP
OP
W

WhsNxt9566

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion guys. The wheels i was considering running have 165R15 on them. I have driven a car with this tire on them on a daily but only to school and work which was like in a 2-3 mile radius. Not too much highway driving. school is now a good 30-40 mile round trip. I ended up ordering the 15x7s and will run like a 215/60-15 or 225/60-15. but still keeping my runners on the side!!! Appriciate the input fellas!!!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah Justin I get what you're saying. Also though without any actual evidence of your car stopping better with the light rims it could just be a mental thing. Who knows though.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Yeah Justin I get what you're saying. Also though without any actual evidence of your car stopping better with the light rims it could just be a mental thing. Who knows though.

Yea, I know....I also understand the physics behind it like what Paul is saying.

But considering I drive my car everyday and went from the boat anchor 18 inch chrome fr500s to the drag rims I definately noticed a differance in how the car stops.

It feels like the car will stop easier/faster if your not breaking the limit.

Its just the feel of the lighter rims makes it stop better without having to use so much peddle I guess?

My car doesnt have ABS so I use my brakes being aware of that, I cant just slam the peddle or they will lock up.

Im just saying my car stops perfectly fine with the 15x5s up front.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah since your car has a noticeable amount less of rotating wheel weight it probably does stop easier under normal braking. if you were to slam the brakes though I think that's when the wider tire up front would really pay off.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Yeah since your car has a noticeable amount less of rotating wheel weight it probably does stop easier under normal braking. if you were to slam the brakes though I think that's when the wider tire up front would really pay off.

yea, thats what Im thinking, but I dont know.

I can ease into the peddle and go full brake peddle without the tires sliding

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
how often do you ease into the brake though for an emergency stop lol

As I said earlier...I have no abs so easing into the brake is natural at this point.

It is weird but I naturally ease into the brake before I stomp the peddle down to stop because I know if I slam the peddle, my brakes will lock up and Ill never stop.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
well that'll work for you but for the average guy running his mustang on skinnies it's not going to be like that.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea...pretty much dont run skinnies on the road unless your cool as hell like me haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online