Slicks

Tbuck07

Reaction score
So my buddy has some rims for sale..pretty ugly rims, but they're uni-lug rims with some reg tires on them..they're 15x8 however..

Im not sure on tire sizes..I know my rims are 17" now..Would it be bad to use a 15" for the rear and then get some slicks? or should I go find 17" rims..?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
If you want to get slicks buy 15's more tires available, more companies, more sizes AND v6 wheels!!!!

Go to a scrap yard, get a set of v6 wheels, and mount them on there. You can get a tube, (suggested by mickey thompson with their M/t Drag Slicks) I personally dont run tubes in my slicks.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
I just ran my cousin's old 26x8.5 15 inch slicks and they grip like no other! The rim doesnt have too look pretty,just need to be able to mount the tire on it :p.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
this is my drag wheel/slick set up ....
dragrimandwheel.jpg

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
If you want to get slicks buy 15's more tires available, more companies, more sizes AND v6 wheels!!!!

Go to a scrap yard, get a set of v6 wheels, and mount them on there. You can get a tube, (suggested by mickey thompson with their M/t Drag Slicks) I personally dont run tubes in my slicks.

you're suppose to use rim screws with tubes, and i don't know if you can use rim screws on stock wheels

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
Duff Daddy said:

you're suppose to use rim screws with tubes, and i don't know if you can use rim screws on stock wheels

Ovbiously you would use a tube when you would screw your rim due to the air leaking out. But you use tubes to create a more effective "wrinkle wall" and some people blieve that it creates a better foot print on launching. Normally you would only screw the tire to the wheel if your spinning the tire . I personally dont use either a wheel screw or a tube. BUT you should use the tube it also helps keep the air pressure more stable over a longer time due to the natural rubber used on the Mickey Thompson ET Slicks. And YES you can scew your stock wheel.

94wyckdstang

Reaction score
If you rub the inside of the tire with dish soap like dawn ( thats what i used) you don't have to use tubes and you don,t have to worry about the tires goin flat. Mine have stayed inflated all during the winter on my race car in the trailer. Before they used to go flat every couple of weeks

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
94wyckdstang said:
If you rub the inside of the tire with dish soap like dawn ( thats what i used) you don't have to use tubes and you don,t have to worry about the tires goin flat. Mine have stayed inflated all during the winter on my race car in the trailer. Before they used to go flat every couple of weeks
Sealing the bead will make NO difference, you use the tubes to help form the tire (tread side wall) are natural rubber and will bleed air, natural rubber is a pouras material, and wont contain air or pressurized air like a synthetic rubber (normal) tire will

94wyckdstang

Reaction score
Try it and see what happens my slicks stay inflated all winter if you use the dish soap it seals the inside of the tire i know alot of people that do it

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
94wyckdstang said:
Try it and see what happens my slicks stay inflated all winter if you use the dish soap it seals the inside of the tire i know alot of people that do it
Yea you can use that or you can use whats called bead sealer, its a thick poly sealant you normally use on a steal wheel or aluminum wheel that has corrosion on the bead surface. You may have a differnt slick then myself, but the main purpose of the tube is to promote a better footprint and help the "wrinkle wall" effect.

94wyckdstang

Reaction score
yeah you could use bead sealer but the soap is much cheaper and i am using mickey thompson 28 10.5 MT drag tires and i don't think tubes would be necessary unless you are using screws but that is just my opinion

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
94wyckdstang said:
yeah you could use bead sealer but the soap is much cheaper and i am using mickey thompson 28 10.5 MT drag tires and i don't think tubes would be necessary unless you are using screws but that is just my opinion

i wish i could find the picture of my car and my buddies car, both with m/t et drags, and he has tubes with 11psi and mine have no tubes with 12psi, my tire looks just squishy sitting there while his actually has a wrinkle look. i have one photo of his hoosiers, but its not apples to apples so it doesnt really help. hell either way i dont run tubes but i should haha oops, i think travis does on his 94 cobra/r hybrid

94wyckdstang

Reaction score
yeah i run 11 psi in my 85 mustang runnin 10.50's at the track and they wrinkle good and really never spin

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yea thats one of the things and its a long debated topic between the tube and non tube guys. whether there really is a differnce, some of the tube guys swear by always running a tube, others just dont see it necessary. I remember some pretty good discussion at nmra events and on yb

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.