Noises from front end?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ive always got weird noises coming from my front end and can never figure out what it is.

I seem to get this intermittent popping sound which I thought could be the struts but I dont know....

Ive also been getting weird creaking noises which almost seem like the steering rack or possibly ball joints?

I dont even know where to begin but the shits annoying

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Start off by getting the front end off the ground, on jackstands. Then grab the tire at the "3 oclock" position with your right hand,
and "9 oclock" position with your left. Then sort of "shake" the wheel from side to side, and if you feel a "jumping" feeling,
more than likely a tierod or balljoint has excessive play in it. A popping noise, (especially going over bumps) could be
a number of things, but struts, and possibly lower control arm bushings, could be the cause.. What aftermarket suspension
do you have? k-member, a-arms, strurts, etc.. And also, if i remember correctly, you are not running isolators with your front springs?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Ive always got weird noises coming from my front end and can never figure out what it is.

I seem to get this intermittent popping sound which I thought could be the struts but I dont know....

Ive also been getting weird creaking noises which almost seem like the steering rack or possibly ball joints?

I dont even know where to begin but the shits annoying

Do you have your Iso's in or out ????

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no iso's

and ive done the shaking wheel thing...seems almost like theres play in my steering shafts or w/e

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
AaRoN said:
"Intermittent" is the most common word an Automotive Technician will hear during his career.

and their most common reply to that word would be No problem found, or Condition not present lol

gearhead

Reaction score
That's because customers have miracle ears. We can't hear anything because of air tools haha.

gearhead

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
I have no iso's

and ive done the shaking wheel thing...seems almost like theres play in my steering shafts or w/e

When you say steering shafts, are you talking about your tierods? Also, there is inner and outer tierods that can be causing it. If you move the wheel and see the whole shaft moving with the tire (with play in it) than its the inner tie rod. If the wheel moves and the shaft don't, it's the outer one.

Basically just pay close attention to the balljoints and narrow it down to what exactly it is.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I have brand new Moog Ball joints in my LCA's and when i put my springs in i left out the lower iso's on the front and it will make a squeek but it is a compressed squeek a low one. Hard to explain. I know it's from not having the lower Iso's in though.

If you have any doubt and you ball joints haven't been replaced and the boot is torn replace them ASAP. I am shocked mine held on for as long as they did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online