Cobra brake upgrade, and the pedals ungodly hard.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
The pedal after the stainless lines and mach 1 brake upgrade ended up being really hard. I've heard tell that I should change to the cobra MC in place of the GT one. Anyone know?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
If you own a 94-95 GT, you will need to change to a different Cobra master cylinder. I've covered this several times on the board already. Call Ford Racing, and order a correct master cylinder. Also, when you change the master cylinder, the lines have to be modified as well. It's a giant pain in the ass. Do yourself a favor, and just buy prebent lines from MM. Here is a link for lines

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/index.html?http&&&www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_140&products_id=1274

cntchds

Reaction score
How do you swap the Master Cylinder? I've wanted to ever since I put in my Bullitt brakes, but have been both unmotivated, and broke.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks man. There website is abbreviated when it comes to the brake parts and I end up going in circles. I can get a factory reman cobra one through work from pep boys for like 80 bucks.

dutch

Reaction score
attention: people with cobra brakes and stock mastercylinder

I've read a lot of people saying the cobra brakes with stock GT mastercylinder feel like a big improvement...

I have one thing to say: Go and get the cobra mastercylinder!!!! sooo much better. Better response, better pedalfeel, much better braking overall.

get 'r done!

:icon_salut:

x182dan

Reaction score
Re: attention: people with cobra brakes and stock mastercylinder

good to know because I might do the swap this winter. I figured a cobra master would be much better considering how much bigger the cobra front caliper is compared to the GT one.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
cntchds said:
How do you swap the Master Cylinder? I've wanted to ever since I put in my Bullitt brakes, but have been both unmotivated, and broke.

Disconnect your 2 brake lines from the Master Cylinder, remove the 2 bolts holding the MC to the brake booster,
and there you have it. Hopefully the replacement MC comes with a new fluid reservoir, if so install is the reverse of removal.
If not, you have to tug the res. off the old, and push onto the new.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Steven said:
Thanks man. There website is abbreviated when it comes to the brake parts and I end up going in circles. I can get a factory reman cobra one through work from pep boys for like 80 bucks.

I would advise against that. You never know what MC bore you're going to get. My guess is they'll probably say that they are all the same and sell you the one that fits on a GT and V6, which is a wrong bore. CALL Ford Racing or Maximum Motorsports, spend a little more money, and get the right product right away.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Steven said:

I would advise against that. You never know what MC bore you're going to get. My guess is they'll probably say that they are all the same and sell you the one that fits on a GT and V6, which is a wrong bore. CALL Ford Racing or Maximum Motorsports, spend a little more money, and get the right product right away.

That was my main concern. I asked them to match part numbers between all the v6/gt/cobra and they were all different. I'm a little leary because of the fact I don't want to pick up the wrong one.

dutch

Reaction score

do it, you won't regret it!

ReplicaR

Reaction score

This applies only to 94-95 cars. 96+ cars don't have to change around anything at all.

wytstang

Reaction score
Hey Steven I tried the swap last week and failed lol. I freakin stripped the hard brake line nut on the driver side so I stopped. I'm trying to get a pre bent line now. Get the GT to Cobra adapter line from Art he gets them cheaper vs MM direct. There is a little more involved the just R&R MC too, you should take measurement before just throwing it on.
Here are the direction on how to measure the new MC
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/brakes/MMBAK-7.pdf

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Oh boy I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Wonderful. 20 bucks for the lines isn't to bad. I'll have to read it and stare at it for a little while.

wytstang

Reaction score
It's not that hard, just a bit of a PITA. There is a good chance you could just swap them out and be fine but it's better to be sure. You just don't want to have preload on the new mc or have the piston sit to far back to be effective.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Yep. When I do It I'll do it right the first time. I still need to install my mm solid rack bushings

wytstang

Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to know if ford still sells the hard brake lines do you? Driver side to abs unit.

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I just tried. Most of it's not available

OP
OP
Steven

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Oh well I tried. I wouldn't mind taking a look at it all. I may have to come help you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online