brakes question

95BlkCobra

Reaction score
ok so i just replaced my front pads in august, rears in feb of 09. my brakes dont feel like they are grabbing like they should? i bled them and added fluid after bleeding them. i am going to mic my rotors when i get the car out of the body shop and resurface them if i can. but i want to know if the brakes work better when warm or what/ as far as i know they are stock cobra brakes,i replaced the pads with motorcraft oe

Crone

Reaction score
Check the caliper pins...they may be frozen?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
When you change pads, the rotors should be resurfaced, and the pads should be bed in. Bedding in pads is a process where friction material transfers from the pad onto the rotor. Only when the rotor is coated in the pad material will it yield the greatest friction between the two.

Also, if the pedal is hard, there is no reason to bleed the brakes. Next time, when you do brakes, try to step out of the OE bin a little, and try other compounds. Who knows, you might find something you might like. I've been having good luck with Porterfield on the track lately (Compound R4). When stock PBR pads will wear out, I'm more than likely will replace them with Porterfield street compound (Compound R4-S)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Make sure the pads are bed in after the rotors are turned.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
When you change pads, the rotors should be resurfaced, and the pads should be bed in. Bedding in pads is a process where friction material transfers from the pad onto the rotor. Only when the rotor is coated in the pad material will it yield the greatest friction between the two.

Also, if the pedal is hard, there is no reason to bleed the brakes. Next time, when you do brakes, try to step out of the OE bin a little, and try other compounds. Who knows, you might find something you might like. I've been having good luck with Porterfield on the track lately (Compound R4). When stock PBR pads will wear out, I'm more than likely will replace them with Porterfield street compound (Compound R4-S)

Ive been using Carbotech, as there is a vendor here that I am good with. I may try the ones you are running to see how they work tho!!

and good advice, too. I was gonna say the same thing. Sounds like the pad isnt biting the rotor. definitely turn the rotors and see what happens. cant hurt!

gearhead

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Bedding in pads is a process where friction material transfers from the pad onto the rotor.

There is stuff you can put on your pads to decrease the time this takes, making them brake in faster. I forget what it's called but you can get it at any parts store. I use it at work and it works well...might help ya.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Bedding in takes a few minutes. There is a How To on tirerack.

OP
OP

95BlkCobra

Reaction score
i know i needed to turn my rotors and the new pads need to bed in but i justwanted to get diff opinions on it and maby suggestions on pads/rotors

Crone

Reaction score
Becareful when you go to get your rotors turned. Alot of manufactures make them so they can't be turned much at all. I think the spec for gt rotors are .500 when I took mine into the shop I mic'd them at .529. I did .003 on the first pass, .006 on the second and .002 on the last. So thats a total of .022 I took off putting my rotor at .508, only .008 above the manufactures minimum spec. I would have just replaced them, but I bought them about 3 months ago, and I didn't know my caliper was frozen....Destroyed my pads fast.

gearhead

Reaction score
I've had good luck with Hawk pads. Some guys don't like them but I've had good luck with them. I'm not that knowledgable on brake pads though, I'd go with what ReplicaR has to say or someone who does more autocross/road race stuff.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I've got HPS in the back. They dust a lot by comparison to others, but work pretty well on the street. I used to run HP+ in the front, but got tired of all the noise, dust was unreal, and they did not work on the track that great either.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I just swapped to Cobra brakes, I used the kit from FRPP, and I am just running stock pads for now. I think they are even Ford OEM Cobra pads in front, OEM GT pads in back. man, they make a complete mess of my wheels, compared to the Raybestos Ceramic ones I just swapped off (came with the car).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online