Dampers for H&R Supersports

cntchds

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying H&R Supersports for my car, since they look absolutely killer, and because the spring rates are a good step up from the Mach 1s I have now. My question is more referring to which dampers I should be thinking about using. I was looking at Tokico D-Specs since they are fully adjustable at a good price, and the few reviews I've read have been very positive, but I e-mailed Tokico, and they said that those are only good to about 675lb/in springs, while the H&Rs are 700-760 progressive rate.

So my question, I guess, is what dampers would be best for these springs? I would like something adjustable, but if there are shocks that are made for that range, then that would be fine too. I just don't think the Tokico HP Blues I have right now are going to cut it.

So, suggestions?

Thanks

ReplicaR

Reaction score
If you want adjustability and a quality shock which will have some potential to grow later, you can go with Koni. Single Adjustable shocks are cheaper up front than Bilsteins, but they will be more money to revalve, in case you want to go a lot stiffen. If you just blow one out, I believe they have lifetime warranty, so you're good.

Edit: Just looked at e-bay, and looks like Bilstein HDs are actaully priced a good deal lower than Koni SA. Let's not forget that Bilstein has many more service centers, and to revalve one it costs 60 dollars, not 175 like it is with Koni. I say forget adjustability and go with what's a better deal.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
My real questions is what will put up with that spring rate range. Right now I have Tokico HD's and they are useless even with only 600 lb/in springs. The rear ones feel fine though, and will probably be fine with the SS rear springs since they aren't much stiffer than the ones I have.

I don't plan on going any stiffer than those SS springs unless I make this a track-only car, which is not going to happen any time soon, so revalving costs are not significant to me. :dontknow:

Would it be smart to go with Fox length struts since the drop is fairly significant?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm running standard Koni SA with springs rates that are A LOT higher than yours, and I'm doing just fine (275 coilover front (1000 in stock place), H&R Super Race rear). In fact, I still have room to go stiffer before I have to get them revalved. Same goes for Bilsteins. Right off the shelf, both of those shocks are good for a lot for a good amount.

Go with SN95 stuff. If it calls for it later, you can always get the shocks shortened when you get them revalved for way stiffer stuff.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I run tokico blues (HPs) without any complaints at all. I love my current setup. Pretty smooth ride.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
That's really weird. Although, I did buy mine used for a couple thousand miles, but I don't think they could blow that soon without being seriously beat on.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm running Tokico Illuminas with my H&R SuperSports, no complaints at all and the 5-way adjustables are easy and fun to play with lol.

Ciotti

Reaction score
ReplicaR is dead on the money but to add to what he said, it also depends on what you're going to be using the car for...

The Koni's adjustability lets you dial the car in for whatever you want so you can crank them down to soft for daily driving comfort, stiffen them up for track days or autocrosses, or go anywhere in between for "spirited" street driving. If you're running a track day or autocross you can also tune them in perfectly for the given layout and surface you're running on which is very valuable.

On the flip side, the Bils are a great non adjustable strut that you don't have to worry about adjusting and will be very decent at everything. Unfortunately it can't be quite as good at everything as the Koni because it's not adjustable so there will be compromise there in that it will be a little bit harder on the street but not as hard at the track.

Whichever you go with will make you happy as long as you stay away from the Jap crap out there (KYB, Tokiko, etc...)

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
I really like the idea of either the Bilsteins or the Konis. I'm really thinking I want the Konis, though, since I really have no time limit, so I can just save up for an extra two weeks and just get the ones I want more, rather than getting the Bilsteins and always wondering "what if." And being able to go full soft for long trips, and somewhere in between for fun would be very cool.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
So, if you're someone like me who drives a slammed '95 GT that's used to his car riding like a brick anyway, and probably only will see the track 2% of the time, the bilsteins might be the way to go?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
No, in that case, I'd go with Konis. You'd want it riding soft 98% of the time, Bilstein is not going to give you that. Mind you, Koni at full soft will not feel loose at all.

Ciotti

Reaction score
My mom's Cobra has Bils and they ride great, I doubt anyone would be unhappy with them to be honest and there is something to be said for a strut that you can't screw around with and blame your crappy driving on :) That being said, ReplicaR is right in saying that the Koni's will be better because you can adjust them softer than the Bils, but you will pay more for the Koni's so it's a trade off.

GT119

Reaction score
i use tokico hp struts for fox bodies with my h&r ss with no complaints from my pregnant gf lol

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Still Very Satisfied with My Tokico 5-Way Adjustables. I have had them for 40,000 Miles and they are still amazing.

I keep them on setting 5 in the front, 4 in the back.

Ciotti

Reaction score
The adjusters on those Tokiko's (and pretty much all other Japanese manufactured shocks/struts) are known in the racing community to be incredibly inaccurate. There have been shock dyno's done on them where they even adjust in the complete opposite direction than they should be so keep an eye out for that and experiment with ignoring what number you're setting the adjuster to and just tune them in by feel. Also, they are never matched right to left so don't be surprized when it feels right yet the settings are different on either side.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ok.. Ok.. This is a harder decision than 302 vs 351 or saying I'm building a streetable track car vs trackable street car! I don't know about you guys, but I drive the SH T out of my car. I drive on some of the countries worst roads and have plenty of scares (ie snap oversteer) because of bumps in hard curves. Now, I don't really care about the drag strip and may only see the track a handle full of times a year. You still stand by your recommendation of SA Konis ReplicaR? Also, WTF can I do about the dicey rear end handling? Add torque arm, decrease spring rates and .... ???

Ciotti

Reaction score
When I went to the Koni's from Tokiko Blues the ride over rough NJ roads got significantly better, the extra damping that they have gives the ride a much more controlled "German car " feel in that you know you're going over the bumps but they don't throw the car all over the road.

Bracing the rear end with a panhard bar will make the biggest difference in keeping it under control as it will take out all of the left to right slop in the rear axle and allow it to articulate properly during cornering instead of binding up on the rubber bushings and doing whatever it wants :)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've never heard that stuff about the Tokicos, I have no reason to think mine are uneven or anything like that.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Pretty much every adjustable off shelf shock is going to be all over when it comes to adjusting. Even Koni is the same way. Koni is probably one of the best ones though, where it's almost close to what it should be. I usually dial it in by feel as well. Take a car out for a few laps, see if any of the wheels hops around, adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online