2003 cobra steering rack on 95 gt

gumby5.0

Reaction score
My steering rack has been leaking powersteering fluid like crazy from the passenger side boot so I really want to replace it. I have been looking around a have seen a few guys running the 03-04 cobra rack on their sn's but I havent seen any of the benefits if any that are asossiated from using this rack opposed to the factory unit. Anyone on here run a cobra rack? If so what do you like about it?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
2003 Cobra rack has slightly different valving, that changes the amount of power assist. As the end result, the rack feels stiffer, and steering feels more direct. Internally otherwise, they are identical to other racks. My suggestion is not to waste your money, and just get a regular rebuilt rack with no play in it. If you want less power assist, you can always slow down the pump with a larger pulley.

gearhead

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
2003 Cobra rack has slightly different valving, that changes the amount of power assist. As the end result, the rack feels stiffer, and steering feels more direct. Internally otherwise, they are identical to other racks. My suggestion is not to waste your money, and just get a regular rebuilt rack with no play in it. If you want less power assist, you can always slow down the pump with a larger pulley.

+1. I have underdrives on mine and it made the steering a little stiffer. I like it better that way, makes it seem like I'm not driving a boat.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. If thats the only difference Im just going to get a factory rebuilt unit.

bcLVSn95

Reaction score
Just curious, does the underdrive pully help with overheating fluid or make it worse? and this may be the stupid part of my question, but will any old underdrive pully set work? ANd can i run underdrives on just the crank and P/S and no tthe dizzy? I don't have A/C or smog.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I thought some of the turning ratios's were different ie either quicker or the rack set up was slightly different? Ill check Iron Fist Lead Foot later

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The standard power rack is the fastest factory steering rack there is. 03 rack is not any quicker.

bcLVSn95 said:
Just curious, does the underdrive pully help with overheating fluid or make it worse?

Good question. I don't really have an answer for that one.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i would think the ud pullie would make the over heating worse because its flowing slower so less fluid would pass through the cooler and the pump thus being hotter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online