autocross set up and questions

5.0kid

Reaction score
hey, i'm starting to look for some suspension upgrades as I want to do some autocross stuff next year. The problem is I have a heavily modified engine (347 n/a) and I can't figure out what class I would be able to run in on scca, so I don't know what type of modifications I can do. I don't have emissions on the car either now...anyone have any idea of what the classes are and could lead me in the right direction? I don't want to be very competitive, just want to have some fun.

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
forgot to mention, this is daily driven and I am on a tight budget as a college student, so give me some basic starter mods to get me out on the track!

Blind

Reaction score
because of the engine you'd probably be thrown in street mod

http://moutons.org/sccasolo/index.shtml

which basically means you can do anything you want.

If you just want to go out and have fun, don't worry about the class crap, just go to a car control clinic or autocross school, clubs like the bmwcca and pca (bmw and porsche) put them on a few times a year in most regions.

you do NOT need to do any suspension mods to get into auto-x events.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Since you tore into the engine you will be in CP(C-Prepared) class for SCCA. You can do anything from Tokico HP kit to eibach full coilover kit and everything in between. And you won't be very competitive in this class because it is also full of tube-chassis carbon fiber/fiberglass bodied cars.

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
well, that sucks. what would you guys suggest as basic mods? start with subframes, and which shocks/spring set up should i get? i am going for a budget...so remember that.

thanks!

Ciotti

Reaction score
If you are going to try and be competitive in CP then you're going to be buying all the highest end suspension components. Call Maximum Motorsports and they will guide you through it over the phone but just to get you in the ballpark here we're talking about coilovers, full length subframe connectors, CC plates, torque arm, panhard bar, etc...

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
I said in my original post, i don't want to be competitive, i just want to have fun, on a budget...

Blind

Reaction score
I would do full length MM subframes, or in-floor subframes if you can do them yourself.

I'm pretty competitive with just mach1 take-off springs and shocks/struts on my `97, best thing I can recommend is a light weight set of wheels with a decent set of summer only tires, I run bridgestone re01r's on 17x8 `00 gt wheels right now but they were discontinued, some I'd look at would be the dunlop star specs, kumho xs, etc.

A good set of lower control arms in the rear, I run the MM HD Adj arms, will get your rear suspension going in the right direction.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Lighten the car up alot. It does alot for all aspects of the car. Lcas springs shocks and struts. And the driver mod will all benefit you equally

gearhead

Reaction score
If you're on a tight budget then I'd shop the forums for used parts. That's the best way to save money. When someone is going to a different setup, you save money. It is buyer beware, so be smart and find good deals. Be patient and don't buy the first thing you see everytime, there's usually a better deal out there. Another set of used wheels will benefit you greatly, so you can get a decent set of tires and not wear them out driving every day.

As far as the mods go I'd start with some good swaybars, subframes, a good set of tires, then springs/struts, lca's, etc... Mainly because of bang for your buck with handling.

Remember you don't need the biggest baddest thing out there to have fun. It will be a blast just to take your car out there the way it is. Don't take it too seriously, and don't blow your wad on just one mod either.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Start with MM Lower control arms. helps with axle deflection some.
lower your car and get good tires.

there's a lot you can do with suspension.
Have you looked in the suspension forum? there's good info in there - check the stickies up top.

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
yes, i've been reading through here. thanks a lot for the input so far.
?
I think i'm going to start with some lowering springs with a little higher rate for autocross. What would you guys suggest?
i'm looking at H&R race and stock mach 1 springs...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't do springs, I went right to coil overs, however if you look in the lowering spring database thread, there's a ton of feedback on springs.

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
cool, will do. i'll also look into coilovers, i just think they may just be too expensive

Ciotti

Reaction score
Definitely go with the H&R race springs over the Mach 1 springs, the H&R's along with a good set of dampers (Koni yellows or Bilsteins) will be a really nice firm but street driveable combo if you don't want to go to coil overs yet.

Blind

Reaction score
On my `97 I run steeda springs which have basically the same drop and spring rate as stock mach1 springs, and while they are perfect for my `97 as it is my DD, they are not the best springs for performance driving, the car body rolls and reacts a LOT slower than my track prepped `89 coupe does, I find my self having to make an input...wait for the car to react and settle, then make another input.

Ciotti

Reaction score
How quickly the car reacts to inputs depends %99 upon how firm the rebound damping is on the shocks and struts, the spring rate has much more to do with how the car sits during steady state cornering once the suspension has taken a set.

OP
OP

5.0kid

Reaction score
ok, guys I figured out I'm going to get some subframe connectors, springs and shocks/struts to start out next year.
I still think I may go with some mach one/bullitt springs since they are cheap and still have good rate, especially for the daily driving i'm going to do. Anyone have anymore input on the springs?
not sure which shocks and struts i'm going to go with yet, but is there a thing to look at when buying used shock/struts? I need to have this a low budget build since I am in college...

gearhead

Reaction score
Blind said:
interesting, I have tokiko blues on the car.

You have the same setup I have. I also find the car handles a little sluggish like you stated earlier. Maybe we'll have to try some different struts/shocks and see what happens eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online