PBR brakes, seriously? aluminum sucks!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I go to change my pads and the brake line hole strips the first time that bolts ever been out :dontknow:

Great quality ford!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Why did you disconnect the brake line to change pads?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
It was easier to remove the caliper all together to compress the pistons back in.
I have thick ass rotors and brand new pads so the pistons had to be literally 100% back in for the things to go on.

But they were a brand new set of calipers.....they went on the car and this is the first time they have ever been off...I just cant believe that the threads like ripped out like they did.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Yeah no need to disconnect. You can compress the piston w/out removing the line. Re-thread it and be done.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
It was easier to remove the caliper all together to compress the pistons back in.
I have thick ass rotors and brand new pads so the pistons had to be literally 100% back in for the things to go on.

But they were a brand new set of calipers.....they went on the car and this is the first time they have ever been off...I just cant believe that the threads like ripped out like they did.

1. Purchase a large "C" clamp to collapse the pistons. 2. ALWAYS use anti seize with aluminum/dissimilar metals.

GT

Ciotti

Reaction score
You should be mad at PBR and not Ford, they are who made the calipers... Dam Australians! :)

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I love having tools that do the work of compressing the pistons in. Otherwise a C clamp with the old pad would compress it just fine.

x182dan

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how it was easier to pull the caliper off the car. I mean its just extra work since your gonna have to bleed them again.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
x182dan said:
I'm still trying to figure out how it was easier to pull the caliper off the car. I mean its just extra work since your gonna have to bleed them again.

Yeah that's what i was thinking also.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
^ without the proper tool :p. I bought a cheapo $50 Rear brake caliper compressor and it was done in 45 mins, that includes going to the store and jacking/lowering the car :p. You blame the caliper for stripping? Maybe you A) cross threaded it or B) but too much torque on the banjo bolt. Those brake bolts are thin as paper as they have a hole in the centre, I found out the hard way, I torqued it too much on a Sunfire and snapped it off in the caliper. It came out easy, but was unfortunate to have to buy a new one...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
well I hate them, the rear brakes are a PITA!

agreed. don't the brakes screw back in? (I've got CRS)
Maybe he's bleeding them to flush out the old fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online