Another Caster/Camber plate question...

Magic

Reaction score
I've been looking around at the various Caster/Camber plate setups and noticed one (maybe two?) brands that the caster was fixed and the camber was adjustable. Whereas the other more common kits both camber/caster are adjustable.

I have read about going with the most max caster you can get and then adjusting the camber to suit the driving style.

What are the pros and cons for having a fixed caster/adjustable camber plate versus having both caster/camber adjustable?

The one kit that I came across were these fixed caster plates from Kenny Brown
http://store.kennybrown.com/product/front-suspension/caster-plus

I think Steeda had/has a kit like this as well.

I do have coil-overs up front.

Thanks in advance!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Caster is the adjustment of moving the wheel front to back in the wheel well, if you have one wheel at say +.10 deg and the other side at -.1 you may have a pull to the negetive side. Caster will NEVER wear a tire, it will only effect center steer and whether the vehicle pulls left or right.

Camber is the top of the tire, If its tipped in or tipped out. Normally will not cause a pull *unless uneven tire wear is present and then the alignment is corrected and then driven on the bum tires. Camber if you think of your knees as the top of the tire and your foot as the bottom of the tire, its now easier to understand how the top of the tire can effect how the wear on tire is in trouble.

If it was me i would get the double adjustable ones. Personally I just threw a cam bolt in my car and then aligned it and it was ok.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Duff is pretty much on point when it comes to adjustability. No car ever came out perfect from factory, especially Mustangs. Now you have to tack on another 14 years of wear and tear. Another thing that caster adjustability will give you is being able to slam the caster plates all the way back, giving you something close to 6 degrees of caster. Having your caster at 6 degrees rather than 3 for example will give you more straight line stability, and will also give you more camber gain as the wheel turns.

cntchds

Reaction score
I have the single adjustable units from Steeda, and I like them. Basically my thought is if it's good enough for stock, that's good enough by me. The only reason I even got them was to get them back in spec, since they wouldn't get in spec with the stock plates.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
Caster is the adjustment of moving the wheel front to back in the wheel well, if you have one wheel at say +.10 deg and the other side at -.1 you may have a pull to the negetive side. Caster will NEVER wear a tire, it will only effect center steer and whether the vehicle pulls left or right.

Camber is the top of the tire, If its tipped in or tipped out. Normally will not cause a pull *unless uneven tire wear is present and then the alignment is corrected and then driven on the bum tires. Camber if you think of your knees as the top of the tire and your foot as the bottom of the tire, its now easier to understand how the top of the tire can effect how the wear on tire is in trouble.

If it was me i would get the double adjustable ones. Personally I just threw a cam bolt in my car and then aligned it and it was ok.

I would agree with most of that, except excessive difference in Camber will cause a pull, just like Caster.. In my Experience, any difference
greater than half a degree in camber or caster will cause a drift/pull in the direction of Higher camber, or Lower Caster.

That being said the double adjustable plates are your best bet, allowing for a greater range of adjustments. Not too many cars have the exact
same Caster readings side to side, and if it differs from the other, the double adj. plates will allow for this correction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online