I know matched springs/shocks is important.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay, due to the lack of responses on my OP... lol. ill make it a little less detailed..

I want Maximum Motorsports' front coil-over kit. I was going to buy the shocks in a 4 pack to save money, so I would keep my current springs in the back with the new shocks.

I have BBK Standard Rate Gripp Springs. Will these match up okay with Bilstine GBE5-6418-H0 rear shocks?

I dont turn much, yet... so no worries about alot of auto-cross action. but will i be okay for a year or two before I can get rear coil overs?

Here is the OP if you want more details:

im planning to upgrade my front suspension to coil-overs and i was going to buy the shocks/struts in a 4 pack to save overall money.

Anyways, i was going to keep my rear suspension roughly the same (no coil-overs) for now.... so the springs in there now are going to stay these:

"
http://www.jegs.com/i/BBK/129/2501/10002/-1
BBK's Gripp performance Mustang Lowering Spring Kits have been the number one choice of Mustang enthusiasts for over a decade.

Available in both specific and progressive rate versions all Gripp Mustang Lowering spring kits are developed by the BBK engineering team to offer the best possible handling and ride quality for everyday use.

The progressive rate lowering kits are specifically designed for 1979-2004 Mustang V8 and 2005-2008 Mustang GT applications to improve handling characteristics while still offering a comfortable ride. These mustang lowering springs will lower your mustang approximately 1.25''.

The specific rate lowering spring kits were engineered for optimum handling on 1979-04 Mustangs. These springs are rated at approx 650lb front and 250lb in the rear, they will lower your Mustang approximately 1.5" while giving you a slightly firmer ride quality they will give you the handling you need for spirited road and track use. Made in the U.S.A.

"

will these match up okay with:
"
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_375_380&products_id=1250
1994-98 Mustang and 1999-04 GT, Bilstein HD series damper package for solid-axle Mustang, includes 2 Bilstein HD struts and 2 Bilstein HD shocks, with grooved rear shocks ready for coil-overs, and integral progressive bumpstops.

Included in this kit's price is a charge for grooving the rear shocks for a coil-over conversion. You can get a $40 discount if:
?You purchase a rear coil over kit along with this package.
?In the past you purchased a rear coil-over kit directly from us.
?You purchase a rear coil over kit directly from us at a later time.
If any of these situations apply, please note it in the "special instructions" field at checkout. We will confirm the situation and waive the grooving charge when we process your order.

Click here for a much larger product image.
?Struts are suitable for both stock-location springs and coil-over conversions. See chart below for spring recommendations.
?Rear shocks are suitable for a coil-over conversion as a groove is machined in the rear shock body.
?Includes V36-4138-H5 front struts.
?Includes GBE5-6418-H0 rear shocks.
"

cntchds

Reaction score
The problem with having dampers that are too stiff is that they start trying to act like springs instead of dampening they are carrying the car. What shocks are currently on the car?

Another ting to think about is what kind of wheel rates you are doing in the front. If you have too much spring in the front it will not help that you have coilovers. It is best to match front and rear rates, which is why most springs come in sets of four.

So to better help you please let us know

A) What do you plan on doing with the car? I'm assuming drag from your post.
B) What spring rates are you running up front with the coilovers?
C) What spring rates are you running in the rear?
D) What shocks are you currently running?

I'll try to help more when you give me that.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A)
mostly street driven car that will see the drag strip every year... and if i get motivated, maybe an occational autocorss track... but im not super motivated about autocross. lol.

B)
I dont know. whatever comes with the kit???
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=378

C)
I dont know... they are BBK Garbage... they were only supposed to be temporary, so i purchased them because they were cheep.
http://www.jegs.com/i/BBK/129/2501/10002/-1

D)
Tokico something-mer others. The front passenger side is blown, so i need to replace the front ones anyways.

Do you want me to try and do some investigation??? call the companies and junk?

cntchds

Reaction score
MM probably has the best customer service department in the business. I've called them on more than one occassion to ask what I thought was a simple question, to be given the most detailed answer I could have ever hoped for. They know Mustang suspensions in and out. Whether you want street strip or road racing they know what's up.

My hands are kind of tied on what advice I can give you without any more info on your set up.

Give MM a call and they will tell you exactly what the best set up for you is.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea, ive spoken with them before... they do a great job... ill probably just call them tomorrow.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
I actually saved my email from them, As I am only going do to a front coil-over with Tokico blues but they suggest using Bilstein HDs as they are the best riding shock available on the market, sadly the price comes with that too lol.

cntchds

Reaction score
When I talked to them about using the Tokico Blues for a coilover set up they told me to not to, because they are not nearly strong enough to dampen the forces that the coilovers exert. What kind of spring rates are you running on your coil-over set up rice_slayer, and what application do you use it for?

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Sadly, I never got around to buying them yet, I will after I put in the new engine this winter :p. They suggested 250lb for everyday use and light drag racing(strip) use. I want the front on mine to sit about 1.5" lower and the rear to sit about 1" lower, I forget the rear springs they suggested though...

MJORDAN

Reaction score
Just from experience listen to Maximum. The really know their stuff. The thing youre going to run into is that a good drag setup will be totally opposite of a good autocross setup. Personally id run the Koni yellows. On my 86gt c-prepared car I ran custom valved bilsteins and had no way to tweek them if needed besides removing and sending them off. With my Konis on my 95gt adjustments are alot easier. Would be with the Tokicos as well I just dont have experience with them. The spring rates will be different also. So you'll end up giving here and taking there for both worlds just decide before going in. A dual purpose car is IMO alot more fun than a single purpose one. I've had both.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ill talk to them for a well rounded vehicle, and if they say "you cant have your cake and eat it too" ill do a drag/street set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online